Author Topic: Super low carb NY style pizza???  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Dr. Barry

• I Love Pizza!
Super low carb NY style pizza???
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »
There are lots of breads out there these days that are much tastier than they used to be and boast very low net carbs. Lots of those watching carbs avoid the joy of pizza (JOP). Can it be done? Can a reasonable NY style pizza be made with very low net carbs? The benchmark should be a single slice of low net carb pizza (LNCP) be equal roughly to 2 slices of low net carb bread which is 70 calories, 0 fat, and 13 grams of net carbs.

Bring it on!

Barry

Offline misterschu

Re: Super low carb NY style pizza???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »
Do you have any solid low carb bread recipes?

Offline Dr. Barry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Do you have any solid low carb bread recipes?

I don't unfortunately. I see now that some big brands are producing some pretty passable bread under the low net carb moniker.

Brownberry, Healthy Life, etc. And they taste ok too, as far as a store bought loaf of bread goes.

Thanks for the reply. I hope someone knows something about this subject and takes up the challenge!

Barry

Offline Dr. Barry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
Anybody???

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
Barry,

Over the years I have not observed much interest among the members in low-carb pizzas. But I recall seeing articles on the subject Tom Lehmann and John Correll. Here is an example of one such article, which also includes a low-carb dough recipe, by Tom Lehmann:

http://www.pmq.com/November-December-2003/Healthy-Pizza-Part-3-Low-Carb-Dough-Recipe/

Peter

Offline Dr. Barry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
Barry,

Over the years I have not observed much interest among the members in low-carb pizzas. But I recall seeing articles on the subject Tom Lehmann and John Correll. Here is an example of one such article, which also includes a low-carb dough recipe, by Tom Lehmann:

http://www.pmq.com/November-December-2003/Healthy-Pizza-Part-3-Low-Carb-Dough-Recipe/

Peter

Thank you Peter!

Not that I am looking for any reason other than the fact that the low carb bread that some people I know have been eating has fooled me as it looks and tastes pretty good, and I was thinking that for those watching carbs it could reopen the world of Pizza.

The article is the best I've seen on the subject for sure.

Thanks again,

Barry

Offline Yeasty Boy

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. My wife got her blood work back and the Doc told her she needs to go on a low carb diet, "or else." For a guy who's a homebrewer with a wood fired oven in the back yard, that sucks. So I have been searching for low carb pizza recipes to cure her pizza "jones."

To date, gross cauliflower and almond flour-based recipes are all I've found. The base ingredients in the linked article seem to have some promise. I'll give it a shot.

But not in the wood-fired oven. :-X

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
I'd be interested in a low-carb pizza recipe since I'm a diabetic and follow a low-carb lifestyle (I keep my daily carb intake < 50 grams).

But, with that said, I'd much rather splurge on a genuine NYC pizza (carbs and all) than to eat something substandard.

When I get the cravings for pizza, and I'm not willing to splurge on the carbs, I'll make a crustless pizza in the microwave. I'll load up a plate with mozzarella cheese, add a dollop of pizza sauce, layer on some pepperoni and/or mushrooms, and drizzle with EVOO. Nuke in the microwave until the cheese has melted. Oh so good... and very low carbs.

I like to use "Pizza Squeeze" for the sauce, it's quick and easy and low in carbs (I use a half serving).
http://contadina.com/products/pizza-squeeze.aspx
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:02:09 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Yeasty Boy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
I will be honest - the Cauliflower Pizza Crust is passable. Add a good sauce, some mozz, sausage/pepperoni and you have a very low carb version of pizza that works. I made one last week. I am not abandoning my WFO by any stretch, but if the wife is counting her carbs, a well-made one of these can be ok with a nice red wine:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Crust-Pizza-Recipe-30739512

Offline biondanonima

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
I've been low-carb for about 15 years now and nothing I have ever tried comes anywhere near a good NY slice.  When I want it, I just make/order the real deal and live with the carb-up consequences.  If I just need to cure a craving for pizza, a sausage "crust" pizza or a pizza burrito (wrapped in a LC tortilla) really hit the spot.

Offline CDNpielover

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Since I wrote that article we now have one more ingredient to work with in developing low/reduced carb products, this product is called "resistant starch" think of it as a non-digestable type of starch. It functions much like a regular starch but the human body does not produce the enzymes needed to hydrolyze it into sugar. National Starch Company would be a good supplier for this product.
Additionally, if you go to some of the "diabetic friendly" web sites you might be able to find some home formulas/recipes that you can build upon.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan