Author Topic: What is your current favorite style of pizza after being on this forum?  (Read 484 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
I'm really curious about this. I've moved away from thick style which had always been a sort of homestyle thing for me. I really like neapolitan of course and now New York style, but I keep find myself looking at cracker crust with curiosity. It's so rare now! It's like some sort of 60's hybrid of pizza that middle-america once ate commonly. What are your more favorite styles?

Offline Jackitup

Re: What is your current favorite style of pizza after being on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:07 AM »
Equally, NP, Cracker, Thin Chicago and NY.....Chicago deep dish would come in the end. All for different reasons and the mood I'm in and the time allotted. Given the time, 1st would be NP, then a wrestling match between Cracker and Chicago Thin. I'm always torn on all of them. How horrible is our lives when we squirm over the type of pizza we're going to make :-D :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jkb

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:49 AM »
It's all good.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
I joined this forum to re-create NY style I grew up with... but in the future, I expect to gravitate towards Neapolitan when I am able to get the right tools/experience. I love new challenges, and I think Neapolitan is a true test of patience and persistence.

How horrible is our lives when we squirm over the type of pizza we're going to make :-D :P

So true, 1st world problems  :D
Josh

Offline waynesize

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »
My favorite style is "better". And, that is what I have gotten, and continue to enjoy, from this forum, better pizza. I think all of the styles covered here can be great, if made well.  That being said, I usually make a Salem, VA version of a NY pie, and it is the best around.  ;D

Wayne

Offline misterschu

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
I'm still trying to perfect a neapolitan pizza on my modded electric clamshell oven, I'm there except for the leoparding, which hopefully I'll get to on my next batch, after a couple more mods. 

I've been trying to make a better pan pie now too.  It's easy to make a delicious pan pie but much harder to make it perfect.  I've been trying to copy Galeria Umberto in Boston's pan pie and am slowly working my way towards it.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
I pretty much like all of the different styles of pizza....I love all my children equally.  >:D

But being on this forum can make it hard on a fella...seems like I always have at least 2 or 3 "current" styles that I am playing with and trying to add twists to. Kids can be so time consuming these days.  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
 I agree with Bob. There are several wonderful pizza recipes here. My fave style of pizza is what I am in the mood for. One week it maybe Chicago style, the next week New York, and the next cracker and so on..... I enjoy tweaking the dough and sauces for each style. One I really like is the PJ clone with Garvey's Chicago sauce. I guess my fave pizza is the one I get to share with good friends.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
I guess my fave pizza is the one I get to share with good friends.

^^^

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 02:29:40 AM »
one that you try to make, and aren't happy with it. and then you strike gold and boom, you figured out how to make it perfect
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
For me, for now, "Elite NY" or "Nearlypolitan" or something like that.  2 1/2 - 3 minute pizzas in my WFO.

For my wife - I often ask her things like "which did you like better, the pies last week or this week and why?" and the answer is almost always the same: "The best one is the one I am eating right now."

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
My favorite " style " is round and relatively thin. I like a tender crust, fairly stiff with a puffy cornice. Color should be light to moderately brown with leoparding. Sauce can be red, white or clear, ( garlic infused oil), I like Italian sausage, Vermont smoked pepperoni, black olives, cherry tomatoes and mozz as toppings, not all at once.

" STYLE ". Kinda cool, with a fedora or western!  :o , ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
I would say that the ones I like the best are the pizzas that other members (most notably, Norma) make successfully following my advice and dough formulations. And, among those, the ones I like best are the ones that came out well the very first time out of the gate, especially those that used formulations that I had to create from scratch or after much modification. On the other side of the ledger, the ones that trouble me the most are the pizzas that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, and especially when I felt that they should have succeeded had the right conditions been in place, such as using the right oven or the right ingredients or the right temperatures, etc.

Peter

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
I bounce around styles otherwise I think I would become bored and sick of the same thing.  I rotate between NY, Chicago thin and Chicago Deep Dish.

You mentioned you liked cracker style from the 60s.  You may want to see what Chicago thin style is all about.  It was around before deep dish was invented and it's still very big today.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. :pizza:

Offline Davydd

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
I've made all styles (or I would like to think I have) but right now I have a singular pursuit to perfect a Neapolitan style pizza but know I really won't until I build that wood-fired oven.
Davydd

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
I've made all styles (or I would like to think I have) but right now I have a singular pursuit to perfect a Neapolitan style pizza but know I really won't until I build that wood-fired oven.

Well I thought the same until I bought the BlackStone. Money well spent and works well in the MN cold!!

jon