Author Topic: Pizza Party in 7 hours, need more dough, HELP!  (Read 892 times)

Offline Fithos

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Party in 7 hours, need more dough, HELP!
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
I just got news that a few more people will be showing up than initially expected. Currently I have 4 dough balls of Lehmann's NY Style pizza in the fridge but it won't be enough. I need something that will get me the best dough in the time allotted (7 hrs). I've seen a few 2 hour recipes and some 24 hour recipes but what about 6-8 hours? Looking for another NY style or perhaps american as well.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Party in 7 hours, need more dough, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »
The Lehmann 2-hour dough should do you just fine:

100%, High-gluten flour (KASL)
63%, Water,(temp.adjusted to achieve a finished dough temp between 85-90 degree F)
1.75%, Salt
1%, Oil (extra-virgin olive oil)
0.7%, Instant dry yeast (IDY)
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.105

Dissolve salt and sugar (if any) in the water in the bowl of the mixer; IDY mixed in with the flour and gradually added to the salt/sugar brine and mixed/kneaded at Stir speed until a rough dough ball is formed; oil added and kneaded in (about 2 minutes at Stir speed); dough kneaded for about an additional 6 minutes at 2 speed; a final minute of hand kneading; coat the dough ball with a bit of oil and place in a container (covered) for 2 hours. 

Bake at 450-degrees F preheated oven for about 8 minutes.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Fithos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »
I should mention I will be using a Blackstone oven to cook the pizzas. Also, the Lehmann's 2 hour recipe, can it sit for 5 hours or will it over ferment?

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
I just got news that a few more people will be showing up than initially expected.

Always make more dough than you expect to use. Flour, water, salt and yeast (and 1% olive oil) are cheap.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
To add to what Jonas has said, you can also use around 0.50% IDY and ferment the dough at room temperature but keep an eye on the dough to be sure that it isn't rising too fast, especially if room temperature is on the warm side. If you were to go with the Lehmann dough that Jonas posted, I believe that he intends that you make the dough about two hours before using.

As for an American style pizza, you might try the Papa John's 8-hour clone dough as described at Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59357.html#msg59357. However, since that dough was fermented at a room temperature of around 79 degrees F, you may want to use about 0.45% IDY if your room temperature is a lot cooler than 79 degrees F, and watch the dough as with the modified Lehmann dough. Also, if you plan to bake the pizza made using that dough on a preheated pizza stone, you will want to watch the bottom of the crust so that it doesn't brown too quickly or even burn before the rest of the pizza is finished baking. That is because of the high sugar content of the PJ clone dough. Using your BlackStone unit you will not want to use temperatures as high as for the NY style pizzas since that is likely to cause the bottom of the crust to brown prematurely or even burn. You could delete or reduce the sugar but then you would not have an American style dough. You might also be able to slow down the bake by slipping a pizza screen or two under the pizza as it bakes.

Remember, also, that you can use the refrigerator to slow down any dough that is rising too fast. Just remove the dough from the refrigerator to warm up again prior to using.

Let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline Fithos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to give the pj clone 8 hour a try. I'll just use slightly warmer water and higher room temp and hopefully get it done in 6 =D

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
If there is a local Trader Joe's, go buy some dough from them.  They are cheap and pretty decent/good - especially (I imagine) compared to a super fast emergency dough. 

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
The Lehmann 2-hour dough should do you just fine:

100%, High-gluten flour (KASL)
63%, Water,(temp.adjusted to achieve a finished dough temp between 85-90 degree F)
1.75%, Salt
1%, Oil (extra-virgin olive oil)
0.7%, Instant dry yeast (IDY)
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.105

Dissolve salt and sugar (if any) in the water in the bowl of the mixer; IDY mixed in with the flour and gradually added to the salt/sugar brine and mixed/kneaded at Stir speed until a rough dough ball is formed; oil added and kneaded in (about 2 minutes at Stir speed); dough kneaded for about an additional 6 minutes at 2 speed; a final minute of hand kneading; coat the dough ball with a bit of oil and place in a container (covered) for 2 hours. 

Bake at 450-degrees F preheated oven for about 8 minutes.

How much ADY should be used instead of IDY (don't have any IDY)?

Offline brilunt

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Since the 7 hours have past, I don't think this general question will hijack the thread: If you need to make a faster dough, what dough variable is it best to manipulate? Warmer water to get a warmer dough ball? Add yeast? Change proofing conditions? Obviously nothing beats time, but in a pinch, what's the best bet?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
Next time do a 3hr poolish and a 4hr rise.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan