Author Topic: Best cheese for blending with mozzarella?  (Read 805 times)

Offline mikeythai

Best cheese for blending with mozzarella?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
I am cooking pizzas at about 550 deg. I am using whole milk low moisture mozzarella and I want the cheese to be a little stringier. Sorry no pics, but I'm getting a lot of leopard spotting on the cheese... it's really toasting and turning crispy. Just a little bitter, too. Is it possible to have a soft, stringy cheese finish after cooking at 550 deg?

Which cheeses (or other ingredients ) would work to soften up the cheese? I live in Thailand and unfortunately the only fresh cheeses that are reasonably priced are mozzarella, parmesean, edam, and gouda. Other cheese is available, just for a lot more money.  :(

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Re: Best cheese for blending with mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
 it is hard to say what is happening with your cheese with this information. if you could give us some details about your dough formula, how long your bake time is, the diameter of your pizza, using a pizza stone? top of oven or bottom rack? etc. maybe we can help.

all we know right now is you are cooking a pizza at 550 degrees and your cheese looks leopardy... post back with pics if you can 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
I am cooking pizzas at about 550 deg. I am using whole milk low moisture mozzarella and I want the cheese to be a little stringier. Sorry no pics, but I'm getting a lot of leopard spotting on the cheese... it's really toasting and turning crispy. Just a little bitter, too. Is it possible to have a soft, stringy cheese finish after cooking at 550 deg?

Which cheeses (or other ingredients ) would work to soften up the cheese? I live in Thailand and unfortunately the only fresh cheeses that are reasonably priced are mozzarella, parmesean, edam, and gouda. Other cheese is available, just for a lot more money.  :(
Can you source plain whole milk mozz Mike? The lower the moisture content; the more this cheese browns and looses stringness.
Gouda is a good cheese to mix with mozz...I use the non smoked Gouda, tastes great.  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
Hi Mikeythai,

I agree that more information would be helpful, but it sounds like maybe the top of your pizza is getting over done compared to the bottom.   Assuming you are using a home oven, you could try moving your pizza down away from the top of your oven and see if that helps to make your mozzarella more gooey. 

Hope it helps,

Tim

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »

If you're using a home oven have you tried putting your stone/rack/grill grate on the floor of the oven instead of on an actual rack? I personally use an old grate from a small grill and put it on the floor of the oven and bake on a thick perforated pan.
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

pizzapan