Author Topic: Type of steel?  (Read 754 times)

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
Type of steel?
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask. What type of steel is recommended for baking pizza?  Stainless, carbon, alloy? I have no idea.

Thanks

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
Re: Type of steel?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
Stainless is good choice, Although i'd recommend A-36 1/2"  :chef:
Wash is with soap to get the thick grease off then wipe with vinegar and season with oil @ 500+ degree's
*Sigh*

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Going to price some out

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
After researching for A36 steel plates I finally found a place nearby that sold it. My wife and I drove up to the place to pick them up. When we got there these pieces of steel looked liked dirt covered rusted up pieces of crap. My wife looked at me and said" you are definitely not putting that sh!t in my oven" so, if you run into this problem there is a solution.. Www.bakingsteel.com they make 1/2 inch baking steel plates in various sizes as well as custom sizes made to order. Although they cost much more, I was able to get a piece of steel to bake on.

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Baking Steel's prices aren't that bad when you take into consideration that they include laser cutting, scale removal, and shipping. If you don't mind a cheaper cut it's easy to do better, for example:

http://www.discountsteel.com/items/Pickled_and_Oiled_Plate.cfm

They'll ship a 1/2" x 14" x 16" steel plate to Florida for $83. That's $36 less than Baking Steel.

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »
Hah baking steel psh...
my 18 x 16 1/2 inch thick  "bigger than the one on baking steel"   for... 43 bucks

The Big! 100$ YIkes!
*Sigh*

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »
Normal new A36 steel plate generally has mill scale, dirt, rust on it to one degree or another. I sand blasted mine down to a "white metal" finish which removed all scale, rust and grunge. I seasoned the plate by oiling it with vegetable oil and baking in a 550F oven.

You can look in the yellow pages for local sand blasting companies . Make sure you specify a "near white" or white metal " finish (not standard industrial finish) as the price depends on the finish.

pizzapan