Author Topic: Scott R opens wood fired pizza truck in Boston MA  (Read 1458 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Scott R opens wood fired pizza truck in Boston MA
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »
hey everyone, I just wanted to give you a heads up that an old forum member is finally making the big jump to operating a pizza establishment.   I was never able to get the cash together to do a brick and mortar like I have threatened in the past, but I will be opening a food truck with a wood burning oven on it april 1st in boston.  If it goes well, maybe someday a pizzeria too?   I realized that all these years of not photographing my pizzas was probably a bad idea!   I wish I had some good pics for you guys of what im planning on doing , but unfortunately I have nothing pretty.  That will hopefully change soon, as Im going to pick up my completed truck in Kansas city in the next two weeks, and I need to spruce up my website/facebook etc.    The truck is called Stoked Wood Fired Pizza Co.    Im not really doing neapolitan, and im not really doing NY/New Haven Coal style, although those are definitely my two biggest influences.    Luckily after 10 years of participating on this forum, I feel like its ok to offer up something that is my own thing, and doesnt really fit into any category.   Its closest relative is probably Chris Bianco style pizza, whatever that is.  As he describes it... Neapolitan style pizza but cooked a little slower.  It will also probably bear some resemblance to Jeff Varasano's style of pizza as well. Both of these guys are in the 2-3 minute realm, which im pretty sure is where im going to be, although its not really going to be exactly like either of them as I typically use a blend of flours, a blend of cheeses, and a blend of tomatoes plus probably an unconventional ingredient or two in the dough.   

Its going to be a  scary start for me, as like many of you, I am just a home pizza maker right now.   I have been making pizza for over 20 years, I have done some really big parties before, and have certainly made a lot of pizzas in my life, but I definitely dont have the skills yet to bang out pizzas super fast like I see at some of the better WFO equipped pizzerias.  Its going to be a big learning curve for me, but luckily after many years of being hired to consult for other pizzerias, providing them with dough recipe/methodology, topping ideas, sourcing ovens,mixers and ingredients etc.,   I feel very confident that I at least know how to make a special pizza.   Its just a few hundred a day that scares me!    If any of you want to come check it out, definitely introduce yourselves!  Hopefully you will give me a month or two or three to iron out all the kinks before judgement :)  In the meantime, im definitely going to need some help.  If anybody knows of a capable pizzaiolo, I do want to hire someone, or maybe even a few people that have (hopefully professional) experience on a wood burning oven.    The pizzas will not be baked lightning fast (on purpose), so for someone with experience working in a neapolitan pizzeria it will probably be an easier gig.   At first Im going to be offering just a few signature pizzas, so not massive topping options right away.  I talked to the lombardi pizza guys with a truck in NJ, and they have assured me that if I outfit the truck with lots of AC (I did), and keep the service window open only as much as I need to, it will stay comfortable in there even during the hot months.  All of our spaces are right at T stations, so if someone lives out of the city it will be easy to get to work without needing to drive all the way into the city.  I have a partner, Toirm, who is a super easy going guy, and I think we will be good people to work for.   If anybody knows someone that might fit the bill, please feel free to PM me.   Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:39:26 PM by scott r »

Offline Musky

Re: Scott R opens wood fired pizza truck in Boston MA
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Very cool.  Good luck to you!

Kevin

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »
thanks kevin!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
Awesome, good luck Scott!  I'll be up,  I live in CT but work for a company in NH and go up there once in awhile, I'll take a detour on the way home at some point after you open up.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
Break a leg and drop some pies there brother!!!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
Fantastic Scott!!! You need to keep us in the loop where you will be parked. I can't wait to try your inventive creations. All the best.

John

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Oh yeah ! I will be there opening day to bust your chops!. Youll do MORE than fine trust me. I cant wait to see the monster  ;D
thanks for sharing  I am well .... long story to be disclosed in the near future !
all the best my friend!  :chef:
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
Scott,

Congratulations and best of success with you new adventure!  Great news to hear.   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
How exciting. I will put a trip to MA on my wish list.  ;D

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
about time!  haha

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:22:18 AM »
Very happy for you Scott! The style of pizza you're going to make sounds great. I wish I had one here and now.  8)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
It's so great to have support from all of you, thank u so much for your kind responses!   John, My partners wife started a very bare bones Facebook site that will grow soon.   Right now it does have our schedule, and i can't wait to see u on the truck!!!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
Good luck man! I will be starting my first full season as a mobile wfo business coming this spring. It's exciting and nervousness all at the same time, so I know what you're feeling. Again, good luck and have fun!
Chaz

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »
Good for you Scott!  Can't wait to see the truck and some photos of the pizzas.  I do think a 3-4 minute pizza in the style of Chris Bianco would be a real winner.  People like the crispness that comes with that extra minute or two in the oven, at least I do! 

Best regards,

TinRoof

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
Great news Scott!  I can't wait to see you get started and knock 'em dead. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Good luck, I built a truck out over the past year and looking to start next week. Alot of little details to cover before starting and alot of nerves :)  Any pictures of your truck yet? Btw even with good ac in the summer months its crazy hot in the truck. I have to have a fan under the oven blowing up on to me when Iam working the oven in the hot months. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
Here is the Facebook page with pics!

https://www.facebook.com/stokedwoodfiredpizza

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Good luck, I built a truck out over the past year and looking to start next week. Alot of little details to cover before starting and alot of nerves :)  Any pictures of your truck yet? Btw even with good ac in the summer months its crazy hot in the truck. I have to have a fan under the oven blowing up on to me when Iam working the oven in the hot months.

Thanks for the info! We had the builder put in two very large ac units blowing down on us from above, one right above the oven opening, and another half way between that one and the front of the truck.    Do you have 1 or two roof mounted units?   are your unit/units brand new?    How many btu's per unit?   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:55:14 AM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
thanks for posting that john!   cool pics of the truck with crappy pizza pics :)     I cant wait to get some good photos!     

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
I have 2 on is a new 15 thousand btu and the other is one that came with the truck (old snap on tool truck) and it is twice as powerfull as the 15 btu but that only runs when the truck is running. Any ac blowing toward my oven messes up the oven enviroment. I blow all the cold air toward the front of the truck and up over the oven in the back of the truck. Then put a fan under the oven blowing up at me. I built it and finished in August, so I had the pleasure of learning the oven during the hot Florida months of Aug. and Sept.  >:D