Author Topic: I need a little advice on which Kitchenaid to get  (Read 5457 times)

Offline jaxbrah

• I Love Pizza!
I need a little advice on which Kitchenaid to get
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
Theres so many different models and a vast price range amongst kitche aids and im not sure which one to get. I would like to start amping up my pizza making practicing so id like to be able to make about 4 pies at a time. Something like 300gs per ball. So ill need a mixer that can handle that with ease.

Im willing to spend up to $400. Any advice? Should I go with their artisan line, or their pro series?

Thanks guys.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: I need a little advice on which Kitchenaid to get
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
You'll want one with a spiral hook. I recommend the Professional 600. It's currently on sale for $349 at Everything Kitchens:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchen_aid_pro_600.html

Edit: A couple of colors are even cheaper. Empire Red is $339. Licorice is $329. And you can save another $10 by using discount code WHITESALE10.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:23:54 PM by dsissitka »

Offline jaxbrah

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
Thanks a bunch. That one seems perfect. Amazon even has some for under $299

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
Hm, I don't see any under $300 on Amazon. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer and note that if you go refurbished you only get a six month warranty.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
as an all-round mixer, KitchenAid is pretty good, but if you're going to primarily be doing dough, you might want to look at the Bosch compact.it is about $200,  and it has no trouble kneading dough all day long

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »
as an all-round mixer, KitchenAid is pretty good, but if you're going to primarily be doing dough, you might want to look at the Bosch compact.it is about $200,  and it has no trouble kneading dough all day long
^^^    KitchenAid is a shadow of it's former self....Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay wish they could put their names on it...need I say more?   ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:57 AM »
buy the bosch universal for the same money IMO

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:49:27 AM »
I'd take a Compact over a consumer grade Whirlpool era KitchenAid with a C hook but the Compact doesn't knead as well as a KitchenAid with a spiral hook. Unless you babysit it dough will ride up the Compact's dough hook and stay there indefinitely.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:14:08 AM »
I replaced my Kitchenaid with a Bosch Compact after rebuilding my KA twice.  I picked up the Bosch Compact at Amazon ,  139.99 for a refurbished unit.   
Deb

Offline bradtri

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
Another vote from me for a Bosch.  I rebuilt my Kitchenaid 600 twice and have relegated it to light duty only.  My Bosch Universal never even breaks a sweat while cranking out pizza dough.  I make a 2400 g batch and make 6 balls which go in the fridge to be used over a period of 2-8 days.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
^^^    KitchenAid is a shadow of it's former self....Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay wish they could put their names on it...need I say more?   ;)

Bob

HAH!!!!    :-D   

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
For those that own the Bosch..on the 4 speed model, what is the first speed RPM?

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
I have a Ka k5ss that was wedding gift 19yrs ago and I cant even to imagine how much dough I have run through that bad boy. I did replace the paddle and hook a couple yrs ago since the coating was peeling so other than that Unless the quality has taken a huge dive in that time I wouldn't hesitate to recommended one to somebody.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
I have a Ka k5ss that was wedding gift 19yrs ago and I cant even to imagine how much dough I have run through that bad boy. I did replace the paddle and hook a couple yrs ago since the coating was peeling so other than that Unless the quality has taken a huge dive in that time I wouldn't hesitate to recommended one to somebody.
Yes, they went down hill in a hand basket. Never sell yours!  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
That's a shame. >:(
Oh they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands ;D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
You can purchase it at Costco or Costco.com

http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%c2%ae-Professional-6-Qt-Mixer.product.11754601.html

I have the Kitchen Aid and love it. However, I must have the older model because my attachments are metal and not white ceramic coated.

TomN
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:28:51 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Looking at Kitchenaid's website, I might have the commercial series.

KitchenAidŽ NSF CertifiedŽ Commercial Series 8-Qt Bowl Lift Stand Mixer

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/commercial-products-3/102020128/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:28:35 AM by TomN »

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
Another good choice if you will be making a lot of dough is the Electrolux DLX "Assistent".

Awesome mixer for big loads of dough.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
I check my Kitchen Aid and I have the Professional HD. The attachments are metal and I use it to knead dough every week.  I bought it at Costco about seven or eight years ago (about $249 at the time)  as a gift for my wife, although I am the one who uses it the most. I think, at that time, KA sold the higher end mixer as a standard rather than the many levels of KA's that are available now. In order to get the quality KA that I currently have, you would need to purchase the Professional Level KA that costs around $750 per unit rather than those that sell for $349. I am fortunate that I bought it back in the day.

NOTE: If you look at the dough mixers in any Pizzeria (usually the brand is Hobart), none of them have a hook that is ceramic coated. They are all metal hooks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:55:48 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
jaxbrah,

Today, I was at a Sam's club and noticed that they have the Professional HD Kitchen Aid with the metal attachments. I have been very happy with this model and would recommend it in a heart beat. Perhaps you can find it at a Sam's club in your area. I like this model better than the current model that is at Costco. Hope this helps you.

TomN

NOTE: click on the photos to expand them and make them larger.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:57:29 AM by TomN »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
I thought that the pro models were all above 600 watts?
tom

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
I might give KA and find out. However, for kneading dough, I have been very happy with this model (Professional HD). Also, it has worked very well for home use and it is affordable.

NOTE: I knead dough at the lowest speed, because this seems to work best for my pizza dough. Perhaps the higher watts are not an issue for what I do.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:36:40 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
I talked with KitchenAid today and gathered some info on the two units. KA Professional HD and KA Professional 6000 HD. Also, I didn't realize that Hobart (makers of the dough mixer found in most Pizzerias) and KitchAid are the same company.

KitchenAid recommended the Professional 6000 HD over the Professional HD. The KAP 6000 KD has some ceramic attachments but the ceramic hook is still in a spiral shape and according to the KD rep: There has not been any problems with the ceramic attachments.

The KAP 6000 can mix 14 cups of AP flour at a time, while the Professional HD can only mix 12 cups of AP flour. The KAP 6000 has a more powerful motor than the Professional HD and is suppose to be quieter. The Mixing bowl is shaped different as well.

Final Note: I am not sure I agree with them about this one. They recommend to knead your dough for 2 minutes on Speed 2, instead of on the lowest speed for 10 minutes. This will make the machine last longer and the gears will not strip. (Two minutes on speed 2, is suppose to be equal to 10 minutes of kneading dough by hand) My concern is if the glutten will not completely release in the two minutes. I will continue with lowest speed for 10 minutes. (appreciate any feedback on this glutten subject)

Just thought I would share this with you.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
I went the kitchenaid route and am sorry I did so. I bought their best professional model at the time, I believe it's 600 watt and the thing cannot handle high gluten doughs below ~50%. After that the motor starts clicking, the bowl warps with each pass and sometimes pops off the pins. I have to hold it on there.

If you're into low hydration or even pasta doughs, I would look at a used commercial model like the Hobart N50. I haven't seen anything at the retail level handle low hydration doughs well.

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
"I talked with KitchenAid today and gathered some info on the two units. KA Professional HD and KA Professional 6000 HD. Also, I didn't realize that Hobart (makers of the dough mixer found in most Pizzerias) and KitchAid are the same company."

TomN, I think Whirlpool owns KitchenAid now.
Marty