Author Topic: I need a little advice on which Kitchenaid to get  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: I need a little advice on which Kitchenaid to get
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
I thought that the pro models were all above 600 watts?
tom

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
I might give KA and find out. However, for kneading dough, I have been very happy with this model (Professional HD). Also, it has worked very well for home use and it is affordable.

NOTE: I knead dough at the lowest speed, because this seems to work best for my pizza dough. Perhaps the higher watts are not an issue for what I do.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:36:40 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
I talked with KitchenAid today and gathered some info on the two units. KA Professional HD and KA Professional 6000 HD. Also, I didn't realize that Hobart (makers of the dough mixer found in most Pizzerias) and KitchAid are the same company.

KitchenAid recommended the Professional 6000 HD over the Professional HD. The KAP 6000 KD has some ceramic attachments but the ceramic hook is still in a spiral shape and according to the KD rep: There has not been any problems with the ceramic attachments.

The KAP 6000 can mix 14 cups of AP flour at a time, while the Professional HD can only mix 12 cups of AP flour. The KAP 6000 has a more powerful motor than the Professional HD and is suppose to be quieter. The Mixing bowl is shaped different as well.

Final Note: I am not sure I agree with them about this one. They recommend to knead your dough for 2 minutes on Speed 2, instead of on the lowest speed for 10 minutes. This will make the machine last longer and the gears will not strip. (Two minutes on speed 2, is suppose to be equal to 10 minutes of kneading dough by hand) My concern is if the glutten will not completely release in the two minutes. I will continue with lowest speed for 10 minutes. (appreciate any feedback on this glutten subject)

Just thought I would share this with you.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
I went the kitchenaid route and am sorry I did so. I bought their best professional model at the time, I believe it's 600 watt and the thing cannot handle high gluten doughs below ~50%. After that the motor starts clicking, the bowl warps with each pass and sometimes pops off the pins. I have to hold it on there.

If you're into low hydration or even pasta doughs, I would look at a used commercial model like the Hobart N50. I haven't seen anything at the retail level handle low hydration doughs well.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
"I talked with KitchenAid today and gathered some info on the two units. KA Professional HD and KA Professional 6000 HD. Also, I didn't realize that Hobart (makers of the dough mixer found in most Pizzerias) and KitchAid are the same company."

TomN, I think Whirlpool owns KitchenAid now.
Marty

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
Just by a mixer from member JConk and you'll be Golden.  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
After that the motor starts clicking, the bowl warps with each pass and sometimes pops off the pins. I have to hold it on there.

I stuck a screwdriver in mine, it's long so the bowl doesn't pop off.  I think the pin is under the fridge....

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
"I talked with KitchenAid today and gathered some info on the two units. KA Professional HD and KA Professional 6000 HD. Also, I didn't realize that Hobart (makers of the dough mixer found in most Pizzerias) and KitchAid are the same company."

TomN, I think Whirlpool owns KitchenAid now.
Marty

I was under the same impression and that hobart and kitchenaid parted many years ago. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 06:46:50 PM »
I was under the same impression and that hobart and kitchenaid parted many years ago.
Me too Deb.....folks always are saying that when Hobart left that was the beginning of crappy Kitchaid mixers.

Bob

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »
So does anybody know when Hobart sold off KA?

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
So does anybody know when Hobart sold off KA?

From what I see around the web, January 1986 looks good.
Marty

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
From what I see around the web, January 1986 looks good.
Marty

Apizza is correct. 1986, was the year that Hobart decided to pursue the commercial market and KitchenAid stayed with the residential market.

A final note on the subject, I am very happy with my kitchenAid for home use. I mix my ingredients by hand, then use the KA on the lowest speed for 10 minutes. This kneads my pizza dough to perfection and is so much easier than kneading it by hand.

Best to everyone,
TomN
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:22:47 PM by TomN »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
Hobart sold KitchenAid to Whirlpool in 1986
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
Is somebody gonna buy a mixer or what.... ???

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »
I don't need a mixer for my doughs, I think I need an elephant.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »
I don't need a mixer for my doughs, I think I need an elephant.
Right...exactly!  ;) At your hydration you just lash the pachyderm to the roundabout an let him go to work.  ;D

Bob

Offline bradtri

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
perhaps a secondhand taffy-pulling machine might do the trick?

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
In the beginning of this year I stared getting into pizza making.  I have a KitchenAid 4.5 qt mixer from the late 90's which I have been using to make the dough.  Each week I make about 24 oz and the mixer was OK, however it recently started to make some funny noises... I knew that its time was limited.  So last week I purchased the KitchenAid 8 qt commercial mixer... it was pricey and set me back $550.  Last night I was able to mix up my 24 oz and it did not break a sweat.  It easily kneeded the dough at 62% hydration.  Here is where I got it: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/kitchenaid-ksm8990wh-white-nsf-8-qt-bowl-lift-commercial-stand-mixer-120v/519KSM8990WH.html

Pete

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 02:14:11 AM »
I'm pretty late to this thread.  I've been eyeing a bosche mixer ever since someone posted a video on here in which it produced super elastic dough.  The kind of dough I've seen come out of large batch mixes in Hobart spirals.  Currently, I use a food processor.  But, I have benchmarked it against my neighbor's KA Pro with dough hook.  Frankly, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the dough that came off of it.  I was expecting elastic dough that is better than my FP.  But, it was no different.  It would still tear and not have that taffy like consistency that I'm looking for.  I've made several dough balls with it, and in the end, the pizzas have the same texture as the FP dough. 

I would love to try a Bosche, though, before buying.  Because the KA just didn't do it for me.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
I have the smaller KitchenAid and I don't really like it very much. It is very loud. The dough often creeps up the hook and gets all over the motor. If I were going to buy another mixer I would get the Electrolux Assistent mixer. But they are very expensive and my KitchenAid works well enough for most things I do. But that doesn't mean I like it! 

pizzapan