Author Topic: Vitamix blender for dough  (Read 1107 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Vitamix blender for dough
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone used a vitamix blender for making dough? If so does it work good?

I use my kitchen aid but the kneading part stinks using the hook. I have a chance to get a real good deal on a vitamix blender

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Vitamix blender for dough
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
I tried it once. The dough got hot and I had to clean the container manually because some dough got stuck below the blade. I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
I have a vitamix.  It is a great machine for so many things but not for making dough.  Your kitchen aid should do a good job.  You must be doing something wrong.  Walter

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the feed back.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it depends on my hydrations because a lot of times the dough just seems to climb up the hook to much.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »
Thanks for the feed back.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it depends on my hydrations because a lot of times the dough just seems to climb up the hook to much.

You are welcome.  I don't know what your dough is like  but most doughes tend to climb up the hook to some degree.  Stop the machine and push it down and continue.  Walter
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:05:48 AM by waltertore »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
I agree with Walter. I use the Kitchen Aid all the time for kneading dough with the hook attachment. It works GREAT. Knead the dough for 10 mins on the lowest speed. I use my Vitamix for tomatoes, etc....

Best to you.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg288155#msg288155

Offline caltheide

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
I had read somewhere that to fix the climbing up the hook problem, before kneading only put in about 75 percent of the flour and it will keep it a wet enough consistency (like a batter) to keep it from climbing.  Knead however long you knead for and then finish adding the rest of the flour.  I tried this and it works so much better, never climbs the hook during the kneading process.  Wherever I read this it said it does a better job of kneading and developing gluten because the dough is actually being worked and not just rolling around the bowl in one big ball. 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
I agree with Walter. I use the Kitchen Aid all the time for kneading dough with the hook attachment. It works GREAT. Knead the dough for 10 mins on the lowest speed. I use my Vitamix for tomatoes, etc....

Tom, you use your Vitamix for painting the kitchen efficiently with tomatoes, right? ;D

Offline Qapla

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
If my dough begins to climb the hook I usually find it is a bit dry.

Also, I find that increasing the speed of the mixer will force the dough back don the hook and into the bowl. Sometimes I run the speed up and down depending on how the dough is reacting and what type of dough I am after - I bake bread as well as make pizza.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:59:51 AM »
Tom, you use your Vitamix for painting the kitchen efficiently with tomatoes, right? ;D

LOL - Not only the kitchen, but my shirt and pants as well. Fortunately, it only had to happen once.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22498.msg277584#msg277584
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:02:46 AM by TomN »