Author Topic: Fun with aluminum!  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Seven

Fun with aluminum!
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
Made a couple pizzas yesterday on my aluminum plate. Each was baked for 4.5 minutes, including 2.5 minutes under the broiler. I'm thinking about increasing my temps a bit but am uncertain. To date, I've been preheating at 500 degrees with convection and the plate usually clocks in at around 525. I waited too long to take the pictures so the cheese solidified a bit. The first is a pepperoni with fresh garlic and the 2nd is a straight pepperoni. I made these for a couple guys at work and will get their feedback tomorrow. I also made a 3rd pizza for personal consumption but that one came out a bit out of round so I won't include the picture ;) The rims came out a lot puffier than I wanted so I need to work on that some more. The skins were stretched to 17" but shrunk up at launch.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Fun with aluminum!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
I wish I didn't blow $100 on a Baking Steel and had your aluminum plate instead!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
I'm very happy with the aluminum but wish I had a steel to compare results. I believe the plate weighs around 17 pounds so it's more portable than steel. I was able to get it for free so all the better! I need to play around with it more to see what it's capable of time-wise. My oven gets 50 degrees hotter so I can likely cut my time down a bit.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
the steel cut about a minute off my bake time on a 18" NY style pie, not really a big deal, and at the very real risk of burning the bottom , YMMV. I'm not a broiler fan, so take that into consideration!

Offline JD

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Looks good from above, any undercrust shots?
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline Seven

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
the steel cut about a minute off my bake time on a 18" NY style pie, not really a big deal, and at the very real risk of burning the bottom , YMMV. I'm not a broiler fan, so take that into consideration!

What's your typical bake time on the steel? Why don't you like the broiler?

Offline Seven

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Looks good from above, any undercrust shots?

No undercrust shots of this bake but here's a recent one, also around 4.5 minutes.

Offline JD

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
Looks nice Seven. What thickness plate do you use?  I use 1/2" steel and am very happy with it. Looks like you have a good thing going on with the aluminum so far and obviously it's much lighter than steel. Have you done multiple pizza's back to back?

JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Seven

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
It's half inch thick and a little over 18 inches square. I did 3 pizzas this past weekend and each took 4.5 minutes. I think using the broiler superheats the plate so I haven't noticed any increase in baking times. I do, however, put the oven back on convection bake in between pies while I open and dress the next pizza.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
What's your typical bake time on the steel? Why don't you like the broiler?

Bake time on steel was in the 6-7 minute range for a large NY style pie. I don't like the broiler because it just adds another variable to the bake, and I make NY stlye pies which I don't want charred. I've never seen a NY style pie bake in a pizzeria under a broiler.

Offline JD

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Bake time on steel was in the 6-7 minute range for a large NY style pie. I don't like the broiler because it just adds another variable to the bake, and I make NY stlye pies which I don't want charred. I've never seen a NY style pie bake in a pizzeria under a broiler.

Deck oven's have a top and bottom element. The top element is set higher than the bottom to radiate heat from above. They may not use a "broiler", but they are using radiant heat from above, which is exactly what a home oven's broiler does too.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
I have a completely different set up then most people have in their home, I specifically bought a dual oven, the upper chamber is very small, I place the rack and my stone at the uppermost setting, and I get very even heating both top and bottom. I realize this is different then most standard oven chambers, that's why I bought the dual oven.

Offline JD

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
Does the upper oven have a broiler? Since your oven chamber is small, have you ever put the steel on a lower shelf and use the broiler? Assuming the normal heating element is in on the bottom of the oven, you may have a perfect setup for sub-4 minute bake times if you are willing to try the broiler.

I vaguely remember reading you gave the steel away already, so I guess it wouldn't matter anyway...
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Seven

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
Here are a couple more pizzas baked on my aluminum plate.  48 hour dough, oven heated to 525 on convection bake. I switched the oven over to convection roast for the full 4 minutes.  The first is a bacon with fresh garlic and the 2nd is a white with bacon, fresh garlic and blue cheese. This was my first attempt at using convection roast for the full bake and am happy with the results.

wordpress