Author Topic: First Pass at Poolish  (Read 362 times)

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
First Pass at Poolish
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
Hi all, I have decided my next pie I will dive into the world of poolish. So I made my poolish last night around 10pm. 100g KABF, 96g of H2O and .8g of ADY activated in 4g of H2O. Sealed and set out overnight. Placed it in the fridge this morning. So first off, did I do it correctly? Secondly, now what??? In typical "me" fasion I have but the cart before the horse and I am now left wondering what next! I do not have an understanding of this "feeding" process I read about. Any one have a good resource to read on what the feeding process is, and the process by which I maintain my poolish? Input would be great and this is obviously my first go around.

Thank you,

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: First Pass at Poolish
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
Azdevil09:

I think you are getting mixed up between a poolish and a starter.  The link, for example, from Wazza McG is about a wild yeast / sourdough starter.  It is on point for the part of your question about things like the feeding process.  A sourdough starter is one that you create and can maintain, through proper care and feeding, indefinitely.

That cannot be done with yeast.  Yeast is associated with a poolish - similar but not the same.  A poolish is created and then used.  No feeding, cannot be maintained indefinitely.

So, you may have done fine making a poolish but not for a starter.  I think, based on your question, you really want the starter and the provided link will be helpful.

I would recommend you look in the glossary on this website for the definitions.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#L

Look up, poolish, levain, and preferment.

- Mitch

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
I've never heard of putting a "poolish" into a refrigerator.  Perhaps the best known poolish formulations on this site is Jerry Mac's NY Style Pizza.  Instructions below:

Flour (100%)
Water (68%) at 68 degrees
IDY (1.3575%)
Salt  (1.61763%)
Honey (4.71332%)
Total (175.68845%)
Thickness factor = 0.096738, bowl residue compensation is 2.6%.

Combine yeast and flour.  To create the preferment “poolish” take 2/3 of the flour/IDY mix and ALL the water and wisk together. Use a Danish dough wisk or paddle attachment on mixer.

Cover mixer bowl and  preferment for 5 hours at a room temperature of about 67 degrees F.  Note that the poolish can be used a reasonable period of time after the poolish reaches the "break point". The break point is the point at which the poolish peaks and starts to recede, or collapse. All else being equal, the time that it takes to reach the break point will depend on the temperature at which the poolish preferments.  Higher temperature = less fermenting time.

After the preferment time  add the honey, salt and the remaining flour/IDY mixture to the poolish in the mixer bowl. Use the C-hook to mix at stir speed.

Once all of the ingredients are fully combined, knead or about another 3 1/2 minutes at speed 2.

Remove dough from mixer bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface, hand kneaded for about a minute, and shape into a round ball. Put the dough into a covered oiled container and ferment for 1 ˝ hours.

At the end of that time, punch down the dough, reshape into a ball and  proof for another 1 ˝ hours (also in the covered storage container).

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Brandon,

Peter came up with a formulation with a poolish (preferment) for a 16” Lehmann NY style pizza at Reply 225 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90226.html#msg90226 

That poolish could just be left out until it is ready to be incorporated into the final dough but I did cold ferment the poolish for 3 days when I made that dough at market.

Peter also posted about preferment doughs at Reply 1 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8558.msg74024.html#msg74024

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I was indeed referring to strictly poolish, although admittedly, I thought it was a "type" of starter. Thanks for all the links, they will give me a good foundations on figuring out the hell I am talking about. I have a lot of learning to do obviously. Much appreciated.

pizzapan