Author Topic: Dough too elastic, tough to open  (Read 467 times)

Offline Adam T

Dough too elastic, tough to open
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
My dough was really tough to open. How can I improve my dough to make it more extensible?

KABF, 63% water ~70*, 3% salt, 2% starter for a 25 hour total raise.

I dissolved the starter and then salt in the water. I added the flour and mixed with a spoon and hands in the bowl. I did a short hand knead of the dough and let it sit at 67* room temp. 3 hours later I folded the dough a couple of times and put the dough back to bulk raise at 67* for 11 more hours. At hour 15 I scaled and balled the dough into individual containers and let sit at 76* room temp for 9 more hours. After 25 hours I baked the pizzas. The dough took a lot of work to slowly open the dough. The 250g dough balls barely opened into 12" skins, some may have been only 11".

What can I change to make the dough more extensible so the skins open easier?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough too elastic, tough to open
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
It may have been that you needed a few more hours to ferment or more starter in the dough.  Look at Craig's model here. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

Quickly eyeballing it, I think you could have gone about 4 more hours.

- Mitch
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:54:02 PM by mitchjg »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
After letting the dough rise, you folded the dough. If you don't do that, the dough will most likely be much easier to stretch.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »
Mitch and Ryan, thanks for the help!

I made two batches of dough, one was a 40 hour dough, and the other was a 20 hour dough. I balled the 40 hour dough at 24 hours pre-bake, and the 20 hour dough went straight to balls and individual containers right after kneading. For both I just kneaded the dough on the counter right after mixing. The results were MUCH better.

Instead of taking 7 minutes per pizza to open and top it took more like 2.5 minutes. It's just what I needed, I was able to bake 7 pies in 35 minutes. For the bake session with the "elasta-dough" it took me 60 minutes to bake 6 pizzas!

pizzapan