Author Topic: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
Sounds like this Breville cooks a bit differently than my Lil Deni...glad you guys are enjoying it.
Keep some pics coming fellas!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Davydd

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
I should have taken photos but the bottom of those two pizzas both were done just about right with just the acceptable bit of spotty charing. They were also both about 8 minute bake pizzas.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
Well all this pizza talk got me drooling so I made one last night for dinner and didn't use parchment paper this time. I used my little peel and some semolina flour on the peel. I was surprised to find that after 5 minutes with the usual heat settings the underside of the pie wasn't as dark as the ones I made using the parchment paper and top didn't seem to be any crispier. So I put it back on and cooked it for another minute or 2. This was the best pie I have made so far. It had an awesome smokey taste that the wife and I both loved. Not sure if it came from the smoked mozzarella or the semolina flour burning on the stone. I'm leaning to the semolina since I have made a few pies using smoked mozzarella and they did not have as pronounced smokey taste.  Here are the results. Oh and there were no left overs of this one.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
I'm going to try my next pizza without the parchment paper and keeping the lid down through the bake. I have a giant wood peel that just seems too big for placing a small personal pizza onto the Breville so I went out shopping for a smaller peel today. I came across two today at Williams Sonoma. A compostie wood one was only 10" wide but was on sale for for $18.99. Another one was just the right size at 12" wide but it was a metal peel. It too was marked down to $18.99. Both were originally $24.99 and each was the last one in the store. So, not being able to make up my mind, I bought them both. I better make better pizzas as another consideration is it would be desirable to load the pizza on the stone as fast as possible with the lid up as little as possible.

Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »
Good score on those peels. If I could find some that cheap I wouldn't bother making them.

Let us know how you make out with your non parchment bakes. I didn't get what I was expecting even with the lid down for 5 minutes but I'm going to try again.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
This time I did everything right I hope. I made a Margherita pizza with half and half bread flour and all-purpose flour with 63% hydration and with an overnight refrigerator ferment. I also opted to use the smaller composite wood peel to deliver the pizza. I pre-heated the Breville for 30 minutes as they recommended and then I slipped the pizza on the stone as fast as I could and barely lifting the lid. I baked it for 8 minutes on high, opened the lid and placed the basil and then baked another minute. This time I got the puffy cornicione.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Looks real good. How did it taste and did you get the crispy crust texture you were after.

I cooked one for lunch today but opted to use the parchment again because it works well and doesn't make a mess. I posted pics here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg305150#msg305150.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
It was good. I'm still working through whether I like the bread flour or all-purpose and this was a half and half. I made my red sauce with a can of Target's Market Pantry tomato sauce which surprisingly is pretty much all tomato and then I cut up some San Marzano cherry tomatoes for texture and added some olive oil, Italian white vinegar, onion, garlic, basil and oregano. I used 4 oz. 100% whole milk mozzarella and sprinkled some Parmesan cheese. That was it, plus the fresh basil topping. This is a recipe weighed down to the gram to be about 815 calories for this 11" pie. I can eat that much in a setting.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
I think I have the Breville baking down now. This was a breakfast pizza I made this morning. The dough I made a week ago and put in the freezer. I put it back in the fridge yesterday and then this morning I took it out and let it set at room temperature for two hours. My dough is working properly under a variety of conditions. The pizza was layered first with proscuitto, then cheddar jack, banana peppers, red bell peppers, onion, olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano. After two minutes baking I added San Marzano cheery tomatoes. After three minutes I cracked an egg on top. Total bake time was 10 minutes and the egg yoke came out hard.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
It's been a busy pizza week in working through using the Breville. I can relax now that I think I have it figured out. Actually I will be taking a 2-1/2 month hiatus from it as we will hit the road in our RV. No problem creating the cornicione but one thing I haven't gotten was any of that traditional leoparding char wood-fired ovens and even those Blackstone ovens produce. I have definitely abandoned using their parchment paper recommendation. You have to keep that lid closed for the first few minutes. The smaller pizza peel helps. I'm having no problem delivering a pizza with it.

Here is my latest creation. It is a BBQ sauce, Alaska smoked sockeye salmon, feta cheese, black olive, banana pepper, chopped onion pizza. Or I could say it was partially a clean out the refrigerator pizza.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:26:15 PM by Davydd »
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
Davydd those look great. I've been away for a few days and just got back to see these and now I am going to try a smoked salmon pizza too. I was thinking about using some but never got around to it. Seeing your pie convinced me it's time.

Enjoy your RV'ing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »
Today's pie on the Breville. I think I am getting close to figuring out how to use this for the pies we like but I'm still looking for a bit more oven spring. From Daveydd's posts it looks like more heat is needed. I start with a low heat up temp, then bump to high when I launch. That gives me the bottom crust I want but not the spring I'm after. I tried a higher initial heat setting but produced too much char on the bottom crust for my liking. Maybe I need to try a different dough formula.

Here are pics of my first white sauce pie following the recipe provided by Everlast, except for the white sauce. I didn't have heavy cream so I found a recipe for a white pizza sauce on the web and tried that. This was really good. Thanks Everlast for posting your recipe. This hobby just keeps getting better and better.

The last pic lighting is weird because the underside was not greenish.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
Hillbilly,

My last few pies with the decent corniciones were baked by preheating the Breville on that highest setting for 30 minutes (and no more) and slipping the pie in as fast as I could barely lifting the lid and then baking it in the high thin crust setting for about 8 minutes. I was using 63% hydration, 200-220 gram dough balls with at least overnight ferment. I think key is the forming with the fingers, then knuckle stretch and leaving the edge half inch untouched and undisturbed. I watched a few Neopolitan pizzaiola videos to catch on. As I mentioned before, I am not getting that classic leoparding look.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Hi Davy, I thought you went RV'ing.

I tried using the higher heat before launching but was getting too much char on the underside, that's why I start with the lower heat setting and crank it after I launch. I find this gives me the bottom char I want but still not getting the top crust right. On this last one I pulled the pie at about 6 minutes let it rest for a minute then put it back in with a 90* turn to get the better top crust. Better results. I was using a 63% hydration but cut back to 60%. Maybe I'll go back to 63%. I really like this little pie maker. It may not produce the great pies others get on their setups but I think it does a pretty good job and its so convenient. Even so, I think there may be a Blackstone in my future. But I will have to find an excuse to make a trip across the border to get one. The cheapest I seen one in Canada was around $800 plus shipping.

John

Offline Davydd

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
I am traveling right now in an RV and am enjoying the warmth in South Padre Island, Texas.  :) In the next couple of months I might give campfire charcoal Dutch oven pizza making a try. I brought along two frozen dough balls.

I've had a long desire to build a wood-fired oven. I even took courses in Brick oven building and cob oven building and researched it in depth. With my traveling I am just not getting around to it. The Breville is nice but the results are not ultimate. So, that Blackstone is intriguing. I looked at one at Cabelas and determined the quality is above average for an outdoor device. Members here are making a convincing argument you can make good pizza -- a lot better than anything you can do in the house.

The cornicione puff usually occurs immediately and needs that high heat for the initial spring. You might try the opposite and go as high of heat as possible and then turn it down after a couple of minutes.
Davydd

Offline Everlast

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
Here are pics of my first white sauce pie following the recipe provided by Everlast, except for the white sauce. I didn't have heavy cream so I found a recipe for a white pizza sauce on the web and tried that. This was really good. Thanks Everlast for posting your recipe. This hobby just keeps getting better and better.

Glad you liked it! You'll have to try it with the fresh whipped heavy cream some time and see what you think. The browning on your potatoes looks really good - I'm guessing the texture and flavor was really nice.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »

The cornicione puff usually occurs immediately and needs that high heat for the initial spring. You might try the opposite and go as high of heat as possible and then turn it down after a couple of minutes.

That explains why I'm not getting a good spring. I'll try the high initial heat next time and thanks.

Wish I was RV'ing right now. There's still snow on the ground here. But in 2 weeks we're off to Cabo for some heat, fishing and cold beverages. Hopefully by the time we get back the snow will be gone.

Glad you liked it! You'll have to try it with the fresh whipped heavy cream some time and see what you think. The browning on your potatoes looks really good - I'm guessing the texture and flavor was really nice.

I fried the potato slices in Olive Oil with crushed rosemary before placing them on the pie, as you suggested and the texture / flavor was very good after the bake. The white sauce recipe I found was good on the pie but I will try the heavy cream next time. I doubt the heavy cream would be any less heart healthy than the white sauce I made. The pie was very good and I will be doing it again for sure. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
Davydd

In response to your post http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg309280#msg309280 I have tried various settings for the launch and cook, including what you suggested. I find that if I preheat for 30 minutes at max then launch, the bottom will char (and nobody in household likes that) and the rim still does not brown unless I leave the pie in for a long time. This usually results in some of the toppings oozing off the pie and onto the stone. Then burning. I also tried lower preheat temps to try and avoid bottom char and leaving the pie on longer to get the bottom and top both crusty at the same time. That seems to work but I still usually end up with some toppings getting onto the stone and burning. To try and work around that I have taken the pie off the stone for a short rest to cool the toppings a bit and then putting it back on the stone with the temp turned to max to try and get the top browned. I also rotate the pie to get a more even browning. That seems to help but I can't get it consistent. It would be nice if I could control the top element separately from the bottom one. Maybe I need to use less toppings but that's not how I like my pies.

dmckean44's suggestion of using a screen might be the answer. That way I can preheat to max put the pie on, leaving the Breville on max without burning the bottom and without opening the lid during the bake. This might be the key to success. Now I have to find a 12" or smaller screen.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
I'm not sure using a screen is the answer. I always thought oven spring of bread and crust came from a hot stone and not heat from the top. As I mentioned, I thought the parchment paper was an impediment. My impression of screens was to bake a pizza in an oven over a grate instead of using a pan. I tried it a few times but abandoned the idea for baking directly on a stone. Of course it eliminates the curse of handling pizza on a peel so many have problems with.

Here are the screens I bought. Since I am not home I can't measure them and I am not sure of the sizes but I believe one was a 14" and one a 12".

Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
So far I haven't had a problem using the peel, other than one time when I had a small hole in the dough and the sauce ran onto the peel. But I still managed to get it off without too much of a mess. I now watch for that.

I think I just need more top heat. So I will either go back to the oven, just keep plugging away with the Breville (the pies are still great - but I now want more) or get a Blackstone. I really want to get the Blackstone and just need to find the time to make a trip across the border for a few days to get one.

I'm still toying with the idea of building a WFO but it really doesn't make sense given my setup. The main floor of my house is above grade and I have elevated, covered decks in the front and back. So the WFO would have to be built on the ground, which means I would have to walk up and down the stairs to cook a pie. The more I think about it the less sense it makes.