Author Topic: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
I ordered this about a week ago (got it for free with my RBC rewards points). I didn't have high expectations but I'm impressed after the first bake.

It has three heat settings for thin, med and thick crusts. I used the thin crust (highest setting) and this is what I got after a 5 min bake. The bottom was a little over done for my liking and the top was a little under done so next time I'm going to use a lower heat setting and a little longer bake time. I have made about 6 pizzas in my home oven from temps of 450* to 550* and typical bake times of around 10 minutes and have never had a crust this crispy on the underside. It cooked evenly too, no noticeable hot spots.  The pizzas are little small but it only takes 5 minutes to cook the first one and I think I could put another on right away. Oh and it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to get up to temp.

Now I have to figure out how to get a nice even boule. Mine always end up with with large air gaps. I ended up using a rolling pin on this one after it rose.

Offline Davydd

Re: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
I got my Breville for Christmas from my wife. I think it was a hint to cook more at home or when I went one time shopping with her at Christmas I dwelled too long over the Breville Pizza Maker at a Williams Sonoma.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. You can only make personal size pizzas so that was a change from my usual 14" size. The plus is my wife finally got her anchovy pizza from me. I always refused on a shared pizza.

On Christmas day I was anxious to try it out but only had some of those mozzarella snack sticks I could cut up and some week old left over pizza dough of unknown quality amounting to about 6 oz. that I probably would have just thrown out eventually. This is what I managed to work up on the first try. It was just a small 8" pizza.

Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:06 PM »
I've done about a half dozen since. I tried their suggestion to use parchment paper and pull it after 2 minutes. That worked pretty well. I used the stone as a template to cut the parchment paper to fit. With small personal pizzas you can pick up the preparation and just drop it on the stone and pull the paper out later with tongs. I reused the parchment for a second pizza and have it saved now again for a future 3rd pizza. Here are photos of the prepped pizza before baking and the result.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »
Your pie looks great.

I doubted this would work well, but since it didn't cost me anything I had nothing to loose. My thinking was that if it did work reasonably well I could take it to the cabin when I go ice fishing with my son and his friends. I bet some fresh pizza would be a big hit, especially with all the cold beer they always drink.

I made a little pizza peel to launch and retrieve the pies. I made a 16" one for the pies in the oven and a 12" for this. I read one of the threads on here that suggested using semolina flour on the peel and since I've been using it I haven't had a problem launching. The one thing that's misleading about the ads for this is that they state you can make 12" pies but all the recipes in the included recipe book say to make a 9 1/2" pie. I still think I will get a lot of use but time will tell.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »
As I mentioned, it does take the focus off large pies you share to making personal pies which can be done for each individual. That's a change in my routine. The measurement of the stone between those two lifting notches is only 11" so the largest practical pies will push that limit or maybe 10". That is about the size you'll get in a restaurant if you order a personal pizza. I'm such a pizza glutton (can't stop eating) that maybe that is a good limiting thing.  :)

Handling the pizzas is a lot easier as well. With that first tiny Christmas pizza I used my wood peel and it felt like overkill. The rest I've done on parchment mainly because with a peel you need semolina, cornmeal, or loose flour to slide it off and that usually ends up on the stone. I used nothing on the parchment and the pizza did not stick when I slid the paper out after two minutes. It makes for easier clean up. I could lift and drop the pie with the parchment paper on to the stone without a peel so that is a plus. I can't do that with 14" pizzas on parchment paper and put in my range oven so I use a peel. Even so, now I think I'll look into a smaller peel.

We travel a lot in our Class B van motorhome. After about a month on the road I really start Jonesing for a pizza in areas that have Pizza Hut at best. This pizza maker is actually small enough I could carry in my little RV. I'm tempted.

With my usual hand mixing of dough I had been getting two large pizzas. Now with the same I am getting four personal pizzas for the Breville. On my last batch I experimented by freezing two of the balls for a few days before using them. I think on my next baking I am going to compare the same prepared pizza in my range oven with one baked on the Breville.
Davydd

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
Kenji tested this on Slice and found the Breville to be as advertised. In his test he used his NY pizza dough and NY pizza sauce.
I have one, works fine, but I prefer my commercial deck oven.

Pat

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
I have made about 6 pizzas in my home oven from temps of 450* to 550* and typical bake times of around 10 minutes and have never had a crust this crispy on the underside. It cooked evenly too, no noticeable hot spots.
Were you using a stone in your home oven?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
Hi Bob,

I do use a 16" stone in the oven, a cheap one from Sears it's about 1/2" thick and the brand name is Paderno. I place it on the bottom rack and turn the oven on high. It takes about 30 minutes for the oven to get to temp and I leave it on high for 1 hour before launching.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Hi Bob,

I do use a 16" stone in the oven, a cheap one from Sears it's about 1/2" thick and the brand name is Paderno. I place it on the bottom rack and turn the oven on high. It takes about 30 minutes for the oven to get to temp and I leave it on high for 1 hour before launching.
From Breville web site.....".Top and bottom heating elements heat the oven stone to a high of 660, replicating the cooking environment of a brick oven."

It has a 1200watt heater in it...that's not a monster like the ones in the modded GT Ferrari thread but plenty enough to give you the crispier crust you've noticed opposed to your home oven set-up.

Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

We travel a lot in our Class B van motorhome. After about a month on the road I really start Jonesing for a pizza in areas that have Pizza Hut at best. This pizza maker is actually small enough I could carry in my little RV. I'm tempted.

I think this would be perfect for the motorhome. We go ocean fishing every year for 1 1/2 to 2 months and I think I will take this with us this year. I really like that it heats up quick and the small size can be a bonus. The wife and I shared a small one and that was enough. The drawback is that there aren't any leftovers for lunch the next day. :'( But wait, it's quick, so I could just make another one. ;D

I think I might try the parchment paper idea too, since it will cut back on the clean up.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
I did an experiment today. I made two identical pizzas from the same dough, same ingredients, same prep and baked one in the Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker and one in my electric range oven at a max setting of 550 degrees on a stone. The results were different. The one on the left was from the Breville and the one on the right from the oven. Most notable was the oven gave a good spring to the crust to give a puffy cornicione. I've been using the Breville since Christmas and was beginning to think I lost my dough making touch. It is not all bad. My wife prefers the less puffy crust so she was happy with the Breville. And I love the crust.

Davydd

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »
I did an experiment today. I made two identical pizzas from the same dough, same ingredients, same prep and baked one in the Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker and one in my electric range oven at a max setting of 550 degrees on a stone. The results were different. The one on the left was from the Breville and the one on the right from the oven. Most notable was the oven gave a good spring to the crust to give a puffy cornicione. I've been using the Breville since Christmas and was beginning to think I lost my dough making touch. It is not all bad. My wife prefers the less puffy crust so she was happy with the Breville. And I love the crust.
Was the oven stone heated longer Davy?

Offline Davydd

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
Both stones had a 30 minute pre-heat. My oven is a GE Profile range with a double oven. The top oven is a half-high oven with a pizza baking option setting for either fresh or frozen.

Here is an older photo of the GE oven.

Davydd

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
Both stones had a 30 minute pre-heat. My oven is a GE Profile range with a double oven. The top oven is a half-high oven with a pizza baking option setting for either fresh or frozen.

Here is an older photo of the GE oven.
Boy, I really like that half oven design...thanks for the pic.

I guess the difference was in the composition of the stones then.

Bob

Offline Davydd

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
Boy, I really like that half oven design...thanks for the pic.

I guess the difference was in the composition of the stones then.

Bob
Maybe the Breville, even though it says capable of 660 degrees, just doesn't perform all that well with the stone heat to produce the spring. The Breville stone is skinnier. The oven stone was from Williams Sonoma. The tastes were the same. I don't have any plans to try and modify it like those G3 Ferrari guys.  ;D
Davydd

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Maybe the Breville, even though it says capable of 660 degrees, just doesn't perform all that well with the stone heat to produce the spring. The Breville stone is skinnier. The oven stone was from Williams Sonoma. The tastes were the same. I don't have any plans to try and modify it like those G3 Ferrari guys.  ;D
Oh OK, I thought maybe you were taking IR temps too and they were the same on both stones....my thinking the Breville stone not saturating as well as home oven stone. I imagine you are right...not as hot. I have a variation of the G3...it's called Lil Denil and that dude can get HOT....oven spring like crazy.
Good luck with yours...they can be pretty handy little oven especially in the middle of summer.

Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
Well its been a while since I got this thing and I am still very pleased with it. I took it with me on our annual ice fishing (more like ice drinking) trip and having fresh pizzas for lunch was a big hit with everyone.

I think I have it dialed in, the best I can for the way we like our pizzas. The only issue I see is that there doesn't seem to be enough top heat to yield a crispy rim (I forget the correct term) but I can get the bottom as crispy as I want just by adjusting the heat settings. I just tried a dough recipe with 61% hydration, down from 63% and that didn't seem to make a difference with the crispiness of the rim but did make it a little less friendly to stretch. In any case we love the fresh pizza and have found that the small size is perfect for the 2 of us. I usually eat half of one and the wife eats almost a half, leaving one slice for later or lunch the next day. The last one I made for lunch she said she didn't want any because she was going to have some soup instead  :o( I may have to take in to see the Dr to find out what is causing this crazy behavior) but after the pizza was done she ended up eating almost half of it. There may be hope for her after all.   ;D

I have been using the parchment paper launch suggestion Davydd provided and it works great but now I am wondering if opening the cover to retrieve the parchment paper is causing too much top heat to be lost. I might try the next one without and see if that makes a difference.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
Hillbilly,

You may be right about the parchment paper on two counts. Opening the lid probably is not beneficial as you mentioned. After all they gave us a window. Secondly, I was wondering if that parchment paper for the first two minutes is just enough to impede that spring because the spring is pretty much a contact thing that happens right away. I think I will try it without the parchment paper next time. BTW, I got six uses out of the same paper and it finally started crumbling around the edges from getting too brittle. Under the pizza was still fine.

Also on my last pizzas I switched from an unbleached bread flour to an unbleached all-purpose flour and think the crust taste was closer to Caputo 00 flour. I think I'll stick to the all-purpose flour with the Breville. If I wanted Caputo 00 flour I would have to drive 25 miles to get it. I understand it performs better with high heat of wood-fired ovens.
Davydd

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Hillbilly,

You may be right about the parchment paper on two counts. Opening the lid probably is not beneficial as you mentioned. After all they gave us a window. Secondly, I was wondering if that parchment paper for the first two minutes is just enough to impede that spring because the spring is pretty much a contact thing that happens right away. I think I will try it without the parchment paper next time. BTW, I got six uses out of the same paper and it finally started crumbling around the edges from getting too brittle. Under the pizza was still fine.

Also on my last pizzas I switched from an unbleached bread flour to an unbleached all-purpose flour and think the crust taste was closer to Caputo 00 flour. I think I'll stick to the all-purpose flour with the Breville. If I wanted Caputo 00 flour I would have to drive 25 miles to get it. I understand it performs better with high heat of wood-fired ovens.
Yes, that is absolutely right. You do not want that lid up on these lil oven for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Paper is going to greatly affect the crust and that little thin stone losses a lot of heat fast with lid up.

Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
Yes, that is absolutely right. You do not want that lid up on these lil oven for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Paper is going to greatly affect the crust and that little thin stone losses a lot of heat fast with lid up.

Bob

I'm not having any issues with the bottom of the crust. In fact I keep the heat a little low before launching so the bottom doesn't get too crispy (black) and I don't think the stone looses much heat with the lid open because the area under the stone is not exposed to the atmosphere. But the top heat will just disappear with the lid open for a bit and the whole topside needs to reheat after the lid is closed. That heat will come from the stone and the top element. So after I launch the pie I turn the heat up so the top element will stay on longer.

Davydd, I just switched to all purpose flour too, because the bread flour is too hard to find and I honestly couldn't tell any difference. But I've only made one pie since switching and I used a lower hydration at the same time. Changed 2 variables at the same time ....... bad me. :)

pizzapan