Author Topic: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use  (Read 4342 times)

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
Re: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker - First Use
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
There's more than one way to use a screen, you can always start it on stone to get your rise and then transfer it to a screen after a couple minutes to finish. You're limited to the top heat that you have so the only thing to do is keep the bottom from browning as quickly.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
DMC,

The problem with these clamshell table top pizza makers is you lose too much heat opening it to do a transfer like you are proposing. I was having problems at the beginning trying to follow Breville's recommendations to start with parchment paper and pulling it after two minutes. I thought to get a good cornicione you had to have an initial high heat oven spring and that comes from a hot stone. I don't know if Brevilles can be that much different in performance but the higher the initial heat the better performance so far for me.

The Breville controls are not very clear. There is a setting for initial pre-heat, then three settings for thin, medium and thick crust but no description as to how the unit performs with those settings. I use the thin crust setting. I'm using 220 gram dough balls pretty much the same hydration as Hillbilly is using.

Maybe after the initial cornicione spring which comes in the first couple of minutes you could try putting on a screen after as you suggest.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

Re: Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
So far I haven't had a problem using the peel, other than one time when I had a small hole in the dough and the sauce ran onto the peel. But I still managed to get it off without too much of a mess. I now watch for that.

I think I just need more top heat. So I will either go back to the oven, just keep plugging away with the Breville (the pies are still great - but I now want more) or get a Blackstone. I really want to get the Blackstone and just need to find the time to make a trip across the border for a few days to get one.

I'm still toying with the idea of building a WFO but it really doesn't make sense given my setup. The main floor of my house is above grade and I have elevated, covered decks in the front and back. So the WFO would have to be built on the ground, which means I would have to walk up and down the stairs to cook a pie. The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

We must be kindred. I've been wanting to build a wood-fired oven for several years but have never got around to it. I even took a brick oven building course and a cob oven building course. Now I am having doubts. I too am above the grade with our main floor and would have to go up and down steps to get to the kitchen, dining or our screen porch. What I do have is an abundance of wood. Of course when I started this course of action a Blackstone did not exist. It is looking intriguing.

The Breville has been fun to use. Probably the most beneficial thing for me is it has gotten me to making smaller personal pizzas instead of gigantic 14-16" pizzas. I enjoy making the smaller pizzas more. But I can see it has its limits. I didn't bring it along on our RV trip since I wanted to try the Dutch oven and I have a microwave/convection oven in the RV to try some day. My little RV counter is not big enough to stretch anything greater than 12".
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:23 PM »
We must be kindred. I've been wanting to build a wood-fired oven for several years but have never got around to it. I even took a brick oven building course and a cob oven building course. Now I am having doubts. I too am above the grade with our main floor and would have to go up and down steps to get to the kitchen, dining or our screen porch. What I do have is an abundance of wood. Of course when I started this course of action a Blackstone did not exist. It is looking intriguing.

The Breville has been fun to use. Probably the most beneficial thing for me is it has gotten me to making smaller personal pizzas instead of gigantic 14-16" pizzas. I enjoy making the smaller pizzas more. But I can see it has its limits. I didn't bring it along on our RV trip since I wanted to try the Dutch oven and I have a microwave/convection oven in the RV to try some day. My little RV counter is not big enough to stretch anything greater than 12".

The one thing that keeps pulling me back to a WFO is that I expect it would produce a pie with a smokey flavor from the burning wood but maybe that is wrong and if so then I will no longer consider a WFO as an option.

Then the only other consideration is the Blackstone, especially given all the positive feedback on this forum.

I started baking in the home oven but now prefer the Breville because it is easy to use, heats up fast, doesn't heat up the whole house and makes a perfect sized pie for the 2 of us. The quality of the pies are good too. But I definitely see a Blackstone in my future.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »
You won't get a smokey flavor from the wood fire oven. You cook with a really hot fire that doesn't put off a lot of smoke and the pizzas cook quick enough that they don't pick up much from the fire.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »
You won't get a smokey flavor from the wood fire oven. You cook with a really hot fire that doesn't put off a lot of smoke and the pizzas cook quick enough that they don't pick up much from the fire.
Good post dmc...it's like....duh....90 seconds....smoke flavor'ins?     :-D
Man, don't people ever actually read the threads they are so interested in?

CB
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:13:05 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Davydd

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
You are right. It is more about the holy grail of heat. I've had a few wood-fired home baked pizzas and have never detected any smoke flavor. Of course you could go to many wood-fired reastaurants and determine that.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
Good post dmc...it's like....duh....90 seconds....smoke flavor'ins?     :-D
Man, don't people ever actually read the threads they are so interested in?

CB

The reason I thought there might be a smokey flavor is that on another forum I read a guys reviews about the Uuni and he said that pies baked in that oven using wood pellets did produce a nice smokey flavor on the pie and it was only taking around 2 to 3 minutes to bake. I suspect it also depends on what kind of pies you are making. I'm not making neo style pies that are baked in 90 sec. The style I make would take more like 4 to 5 minutes based on my read of some of the Blackstone thread. Before joining this forum I cooked a lot of frozen pies on my pellet grill or BBQ and found that the dough did pick up flavors from both of those.

Both dmckean44 and Davydd responded to my post in a courteous, helpful manner and that's appreciated. Thank you both.

However for some reason you feel the need to respond only to be insulting. There's no need for that and it's not appreciated.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
Even with longer bakes you won't pick up smoke. You aren't cooking in the path of the smoke so there just isn't that much to pick up. There's plenty California style wood fired places here in San Diego that have bake times that are up to 7 minutes long and the pizza doesn't taste of smoke.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
Even with longer bakes you won't pick up smoke. You aren't cooking in the path of the smoke so there just isn't that much to pick up. There's plenty California style wood fired places here in San Diego that have bake times that are up to 7 minutes long and the pizza doesn't taste of smoke.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's Blackstone for me. If I could get one of those for the same price as you guys south of the line, I would already be using one.

Gonna cook another pie tonight using the Breville and will post pics after. I'm going to try a slightly lower launch temp and then turn up the heat. The issue I see is that there are conflicting heat needs. For a nice spring I need to launch on a hot stone but if I get the stone really hot,  the bottom chars more than I want before the top gets browned. If I launch with the stone temp too low I don't get the spring. There needs to be balance to get it just right.

It may not be perfect but it still tastes great. Can't get delivery here and the frozen pies at the grocery store don't compare. Yeeeha for home cooking and the helpful people / information on this forum. :D

Offline Davydd

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »
Hillbilly,

I looked into those Uuni wood-pellet burning stoves. I think I remember one video that was spitting smoke and ash directly into the the pizza. That would definitely give you a smokey flavor and maybe a bite of ash too.  ;D

I think we are both realizing we are never going to achieve that high heat desired for a Neapolitan style pizza with the Breville. It is giving us good pizza but not the ultimate. I don't think I will tinker like the G3 Ferrari guys with this Breville to try to boost the heat.

The other pizza maker I had my eye on is the Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto I saw at a Williams Sonoma store. From what they say it will not attain that Neapolitan high heat. It has a unique two stone bottom to even out the heat instead of using rotation. The price is even less than the Blackstone. I'm not seeing any first hand experience with it yet to evaluate its potential.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
Davydd,

I have no intention of fiddling with the Breville either and I don't plan on trying Neapolitan style pizzas, nor would I attempt it with the Breville.

I read the ash comments about the Uuni too and contacted one of the guys that bought one to ask if he would buy another one, knowing what he knows now. He said he would but for the same money I think the Blackstone is the hands down winner, based on the comments on this forum. I cook over campfires and get some ash on my food sometimes and that doesn't put me off but I prefer not to have it. If I really want the smoke taste I can cook the pie in the Breville, oven or Blackstone and then when I take it out to cool for a bit before serving, I can put it into my smoker while it cools.  :-D

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 08:48:41 PM »
Pics from dinner tonight. A mushroom, Italian sausage, sweet red pepper and smoked jalapeno harvarti. This one was the best yet. The wife and I both agreed that the crust and the toppings were great.  :drool: She usually only eats 3 pieces but she wanted 4 tonight and we were fighting over the last one. I'm a gentleman so I let her have it. Besides after 40 years of marriage I know when to give in. ;)

I preheated at the mark between low and medium for 30 minutes then launched the pie without parchment paper and turned the heat up to max. Cooked it for 6 minutes then lifted the lid and turned the pie then another 2 minutes (guessing) and pulled it. This one had the nice crispy underside and rim that I was looking for. The spring wasn't as good as the last one, with the max temp launch, but this was really good. If I can repeat these consistently I will be a happy (and fatter) camper.  ;D

The Breville is starting to looked used.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:20:47 PM by Hillbilly »

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
Another good one tonight. I got the bottom crust and the rim nice and crispy but didn't get the spring I'm after. But considering what I'm using I'm happy with the results. My wife took the first piece and I heard her say "mmmmm that's good" after she took a bite. That's all I need to hear. ;D I agree it was good.

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »
That looks REALLY good!!!

pizzapan