Author Topic: Atkins Diet  (Read 1714 times)

Offline jkb

Atkins Diet
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Anyone here on it?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Atkins Diet
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »
I am. Lost 25lbs in about 6 or 7 weeks.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »
I was on a variant of one... a mix between Volumetrics and Atkins. Only followed it during the week and on the weekend we had whatever we wanted. I lost 1-2lbs per week pretty consistently, and then the holidays came and having a hard time getting back on it. I lost 20lbs with no effort though which was nice.
Josh

Offline wesslock

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
was on it at one point - unfort pizza is not part of it. Was very successful, lost 40 or so lbs. really wasn't bad. Any questions.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
wife has been on nutrisystem for about 18 weeks and lost just over forty #'s; and we still have our cheat/play night friday nights.  I tried the food and it tastes like crap!  Guess thats why she LOVES it when we cheat!!!    :-D
tom

Offline jkb

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
But what about the pizza?  Do you do it in cycles?  Have a cheat night?  I try to limit my carbs, but bread and pasta are my favorite things.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
I have been eating a similar diet to Atkins/Montignac for several years now. I think Montignac is better than Atkins long term, but in the end threw away all the books after a while and now just use the general principles of low carb, plenty of protein and fibre and don't worry about fat.

I started this when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and coupled with using a blood glucose monitor before and after meals I really learned a lot about which foods spiked my blood sugar and which didn't. Last Diabetic review I had, then nurse said "what are you doing here - your blood results show as perfectly normal!"

Results have been great. I am 50lbs lighter than I used to be and it's very stable. I tend to relax my regime for a month in the summer and another over the christmas period and gain some weight, but back to the healthy eating and it drops off by itself.

Strangely.......pizza seems to be OK for me to eat as long as I keep it to once a week or so. Maybe the fat prevents the carbs being absorbed too quickly or something!

Oh - and getting into a regular cardio exercise routine helps just as much. Basically, a low carb, healthy diet and regular exercise will see the weight fall off - and don't worry about eating pizza as long as you don't do it too much!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
 ^^^ Very nice...I couldn't have said it any better.

Bob

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
But what about the pizza?  Do you do it in cycles?  Have a cheat night?  I try to limit my carbs, but bread and pasta are my favorite things.

I would have failed miserably without a cheat day. What's the point of living if you can't enjoy certain foods every now and then?

Sunday was our go-all-out day and we never went overboard but we didn't worry about eating pizza or pasta & bread. If you restrict yourself from something you'll just want it more. I think adm has some good advice for long-term success.
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
I would have failed miserably without a cheat day. What's the point of living if you can't enjoy certain foods every now and then?

Sunday was our go-all-out day and we never went overboard but we didn't worry about eating pizza or pasta & bread. If you restrict yourself from something you'll just want it more. I think adm has some good advice for long-term success.
Yes, pizza and beer are my favorite foods and it can be real aggravating not to get to eat them everyday...pisses me off.
Now...30 yrs. ago I could have....but back then eating was just something you had to stop and do once in awhile.  :)

Bob

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
Interestingly (to me anyway) is that it really doesn't matter quite what you eat for your "cheats" or "discrepancies" or whatever you call them. Pizza, Big Macs, Steak Frites, whatever.... and it also doesn't really seem to matter if you keep on drinking wine (sadly, good beer in professional volumes is a killer in terms of calories) to your heart's content.

The bottom line is that there is a very simple equation over the long term:

If calories out is greater than calories in, then you will lose weight. And vice versa.

Calories out equals daily metabolism maintenance (which on average for men is about 2000 - but varies depending on many factors), plus any additional exercise you do.

Calories in simply equals the food and drink you consume

The key on this to me is that it does need to be viewed long term. Many diet plans and clubs look for gains over weeks, whereas the more important thing is long term - months and years. Part of human physiology is that if you starve the body for a short period, you will lose weight, but then the body will go into an emergency mode where it will store additional fat at every chance it gets. The whole diet thing becomes a see-saw.

One pound of fat equals around 3500 calories - so if you run a calorie deficit of 250 every day, you should lose a pound of fat every 2 weeks. Not headline weightloss by any means, but very sustainable without triggering the storage reflex. And a 26lb a year weight loss. But don't worry about the day to day - so a pizza might be 1000 calories, but just track out vs. in on a weekly rather than daily basis.

Like good BBQ, low and slow is the way to go!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:44 PM »
My wife and I started on the Carb Night Solution diet a few months back. Basically the premise is to keep your daily diet under 30g of carbs and eat vegetables, fat and lean proteins. And once every 7 days you do carb back loading (8 hour period of eating whatever you want). It's not easy but it's a lot easier than some of the other diets I've seen people on. I mean how bad can it be to eat as much bacon and sausage as you want on a diet? :-)
Chaz

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »
I'm doing Atkins + intermittent fasting. I've lost 17 pounds since New Year's day.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
I'm doing Atkins + intermittent fasting. I've lost 17 pounds since New Year's day.

I tried intermitent fasting last spring and dropped 20 pounds quick.  I found it easy, but it took two weeks to get used to it.  Then it was a breeze.  Now I do a little larger of a window with higher protein which puts it closer to an Atkins mix also. 

Bob

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
I tried intermitent fasting last spring and dropped 20 pounds quick.  I found it easy, but it took two weeks to get used to it.  Then it was a breeze.  Now I do a little larger of a window with higher protein which puts it closer to an Atkins mix also. 

So far I'm loving intermittent fasting... I've only been doing it for a week but not having any problems. I'm doing alternate-day fasting, my wife is doing 5:2 fasting (5 days eating normal, 2 days fasting -- not back to back) and she's losing too. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll probably switch to 5:2 or 6:1 or whatever it takes to maintain. So, as you probably guessed, no pizza for a few months.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
So far I'm loving intermittent fasting... I've only been doing it for a week but not having any problems. I'm doing alternate-day fasting, my wife is doing 5:2 fasting (5 days eating normal, 2 days fasting -- not back to back) and she's losing too. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll probably switch to 5:2 or 6:1 or whatever it takes to maintain. So, as you probably guessed, no pizza for a few months.
That's great you are having good results Steve. I was doing really good too but then came back to pizzas and it is not hard at all to quickly loose the progress you've worked hard at....I've put 18 back on in the last month and a half without hardly even trying and it's now almost like trying to start over again and that, I'll tell you is a real drag. So keep up the good work!  :chef:

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »

Steve,
I saw the fasting you are talking about and it worked very well in England.  I tried the other type which seemed a little easier for my personality.  Apparently Hugh Jackman used the same type for his last Wolverine movie.  You fast every day by eating in a 6 hour window on non-workout days and an 8 hour window on workout days, nothing in between.  If you want to increase weight loss you should try working out before you begin your feeding cycle which really burns calories.  Like I said, it took me 2 weeks to get used to it but then it was easy.  I found that I could eat pizza or just about anything without having to worry.  I was about 220 and should have been getting 2800 calories a day.  I dropped to 2400 and found that I got very satiated eating that many calories in a 6 hour window.  Really took no effort at all.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
I don't follow any specific diet. When I want to lose weight I follow the simple manifesto rule Michael Pollan advanced in his book, In Defense of Food. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Then I count calories with an iPhone app that I have with me most all the time called, Lose It! It is pretty easy to track because you can search maybe a half million foods, scan barcodes with the app of the foods you buy or create custom foods you eat. Once you have a weeks worth of food entered by various ways you pretty much have what you habitually eat and entering foods is very quick from your own personal foods library. Entering as you go is a constant reminder.

To track calories you set up a personal profile of yourself (current weight, height, age, activity level), how much weight you want to lose and how fast. That will tell you how many calories you can eat in a day. By tracking you start to see how meaningful Michael Pollan's manifesto is. Processed foods and empty calories add up fast. You start seeing that eating food and mostly plants means real food not processed food. You quickly learn how to get the most bang for your buck so to speak. Then if you are doing that you end up eating more sensible. You can eat sensibly or you can track and just simply stop eating for the day when you reach your maximum. You quickly learn if you eat at a restaurant you pretty much blow your budget no matter what and most likely will not see a weight loss but a weight gain the next day because restaurants use way too much salt to where you retain water (and weight of course). It is temporary but frustrating.

Now for the serious matter - Pizza. I broke down my recipe for a simple personal 11" Margherita pizza as follows:

Flour, 2/3rds cup rounded off = 293 calories
Sugar, 1 teaspoon = 17 Calories
Salt, 1 teaspoon = 0 calories
Yeast, 1 teaspoon = 13 calories
Extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon = 120 calories
Mozzarella cheese, 4 oz. = 361 calories
Red tomato sauce, 1/4 cup = 30 calories
Garlic, Oregano, Basil = 5 calories

Total Pizza = 839 calories. That is almost half my daily calorie allowance.

From there you can add other condiments like pepperoni at 10 calories per piece, more cheese (adds up fast), black olives, Italian sausage, etc. A loaded pie of that size is going to hit 1200 calories plus or minus.

Bottle of beer? An American Lager is about 153 calories. A light beer about 103. But if you drink high alcohol content craft beers they will surprise you. a bottle of IPA could be over 180 calories and a pint glass well over 200.

Here is the real kicker and why people say they hit a wall in weight loss. The more you weigh the more you can eat in calories and still lose say a pound a week. But as you lose weight you have to eat less to lose that pound. It is the same with exercise. The more you weigh the more calories you burn. We went snowshoeing today. Since I weigh 50 pounds more than my wife I burned 600 calories on our trip and my wife only got credit for a little less than 400 calories burned.

My one last rule. It doesn't do you any good to lie to yourself. For instance you can say a beer is a beer and is 150 calories and then go and drink IPAs but it only affects you in the bottom line. Also, if you have to round off calories or guess the food value, just round up.
Davydd

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up Steve. I actually had to force myself to eat breakfast when I started Atkins, never really needed it. I think a mix of I.F. and low carb/high protein sounds like a winning plan.
Josh

Offline wesslock

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
I guess I diet a lot - am currently doing an intermittent fasting program - find its pretty easy. More difficult at first but is working well. Down 16 or so since end of November without much effort. On the plus side the calories are so restrictive it makes you look at food more closely when you are on your feast days or whatever theyre called.   

If you can catch Michael Mosleys documentary on PBS its pretty interesting.

pizzapan