Author Topic: Looking for help from the pros  (Read 232 times)

Offline dpawl31

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for help from the pros
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Doug.
Quick background - I own a family run sub shop franchise (local chain, none of this Subway BS)
We are venturing into pizza to give us some extra income without the need to pay the royalty fee.
Logo, menu, etc. are all done.

Before I get into the oven - I need to make sure everyone knows. I am not here to hear negative comments on oven selection etc.
I understand a lot of people hate specific ovens, claim they can never make a good pizza etc. **edit** please don't take this harshly, it's just after looking over others comments on other sites about conveyors, they REALLY don't like them and generally tell people to screw until they get a deck, brick, hearth etc.

If that were true, Dominos wouldn't be all over the country.
I understand there ARE better ovens making BETTER pizza. I am here to get help on my current setup.

That being said, I could REALLY use some tips on time, heat, etc.
I am panicking because my father wants to push this out this weekend, and I refuse to put out a pie I am not 100% proud of and confident. In fact I have been having panic attacks and stress migraines over this, hence I really don't want to hear any BS about my oven choice. The oven has proven in can provide deck-like cooking with more speed.

I have a QII Variable Infrared Electric only conveyor oven. 16" width. We are doing 12" and 14" pies. We are using a local company for fresh dough and it's top notch. We are using 12oz and 17oz dough balls respectively, as well as 4oz and 6oz fluid for sauce, 4oz and 6oz weight for cheese (50/40/10)

I am told this is a traditional style Italian pizza.

My problem is this : I was given no starting point with the oven. My dough expert is not used to this style oven. We are using 14ga Lloyd pans with 30% hole pattern.
I can get an evenly cooked under-crust, melted toppings and browning of cheese.
My problem is that I have 5 variables. Speed, and 4 temp zones.
None of which I know. Try solving a x b x c x d x e = perfect pizza without knowing any other variable.

Right now I have been between 4:00 and 5:00 cook times. Is that asking too much?
I feel like I need to go even slower. What I am experiencing is the edges  of the crust being inconsistent. While the leading and tailing edges come out too dark, the sides are ok. Or the leading and tailing edges are ok, and the sides are too light.
Every time I tweak a temp, I get results that don't work.
I have top / bottom / left / right temps to change. I have been between 25-40% heat on top, and 60-90% heat on the bottom. But like I said, we're looking for volume. And allthough I have made pizza "OK" on a variety of settings, I just don't know where to find the perfect point.

I have contacted QII via email but no response as of yet. I have seen plenty of videos shooting out much more EVEN colored crust edges than I am getting.

Please, PLEASE help me. I need a starting point. A target time for my specific recipe would help the most I think. I don't know if I should try and cook HOT HOT HOT at first, then adjust exit temps for even lower heat. Or start low temp to let heat gently in, and high heat to finish off crust? I am just so lost and I've made so many pies at so many settings I just don't know what to do now.

Thanks in advance.
-Doug
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:44:44 AM by dpawl31 »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Looking for help from the pros
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
Doug, welcome to the forum. I am not a commercial baker and have no experience with your oven.
Just thought that I would point out, that when you post your 1st post on this or any forum, some folks might be put off by your close to 1st comment, "Before I get into the oven - I need to make sure everyone knows. I am not here to hear negative comments on oven selection etc." :(

Most folks here refrain from offering negative comments, and are generally very generous with advice.

Best of luck in solving your problem in such a short time.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:28:42 AM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dpawl31

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
I should have mentioned that I have researched a lot, and the general rule of thumb is most people in the business that DON'T use a conveyor, hate on them HARD and really act cocky about it. Mostly the reason I can't get any help from stuff like that.

I by no means meant that you are all a bunch of cocky punks lol, it's just getting tiring seeing people on other sites bicker back and forth about it. "no conveyor can ever make a good pie'' etc. People aren't welcome to new technology, and they think conveyer means dominos and that's it.
Thanks for the luck - I need it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:43:04 AM by dpawl31 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Doug,

Most of the professional who regularly visit and post on this forum do not use conveyor ovens. So, what you might want to do if you haven't already done so is to register at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/index.php , and post your questions there since it is a forum that is visited mainly by professionals, many of whom use conveyor ovens. One of the conveyor oven experts on that forum is George Mills. Another member who is conversant on various conveyor ovens is Tom Lehmann. He has also worked with Lloyd Pans/PizzaTools in exploiting their hearth/cloud type perforated disks in the context of several of the high speed conveyor ovens. As a registered member over at the PMQTT, you will also be able to search their archives and also to send private messages to members like George and Tom. Tom is also a member of this forum but his work schedule does not allow him to spend a lot of time here.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline dpawl31

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »
Thank you so much Peter, that is very helpful. I will register there ASAP, create a post, and PM those two if I can find them and ask their opinion.

I have the manufacturer emailing their tech support / recipe guru that knows this specific oven. He is supposed to get back to me today. In the meantime, I will get on PMQ! Thanks again!

If anyone has any other input, please don't hesitate since I am going to PMQ. I'll take every bit of knowledge I can. Thanks again.
-Doug

pizzapan