Author Topic: New Guy wants Pro Status  (Read 143 times)

Offline bikeukeguy

• I Love Pizza!
New Guy wants Pro Status
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Just received a Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan. I am a Pro Level Pizza eater. I want to attain Pro Level abilities in cooking to support my Pro Level habit.  So I will be making some NYC dough for tomorrow night and Super Bowl. Also making a sauce recipe I got from slice.serious.eats. Got some mozzarella. Fresh basil yes.
Maybe be a rebel and make one with slabs of cheese rather than shredded.

The bikeukeguy

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: New Guy wants Pro Status
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
I remember being young and foolish :-P.

That Lodge pizza pan is too thin (1/4") to do justice to many styles of pizza.  Although the instructions state that you can put pizza dough directly in the pan before baking, the warm-up time for the pan will be so long that the overall bake time will be exceptionally long in pizza-making terms.  The pan will work best if it is preheated for at least 30-40 minutes in the oven and THEN you launch your dressed pizza onto it.  Since that pan is only 14-inches that means that you'll be making 12-inch pizzas unless your aim is exceptionally precise.

You may want to look into some of the thin Chicago formulations.  TXCraig came up with the following variation that worked quite well:

100% KAAP
47% water
6% melted Crisco or 5% corn oil
1% salt
1% sugar
0.25% IDY

Combine 100F water, sugar and salt.  Dissolve.  Add oil and IDY.  Add in the flour and stir until all raw flour in incorporated.  Gently knead the outside edges in the middle until it makes a ball (should be like 30 secs).

Refrigerate for 24 hours and remove from refrigerator 4 hours before baking.  Bake at 500 for 4:30. 

You'll find that most of the people here aren't fans of cooked pizza sauces.  I'd suggest something along these lines:

28 oz can crushed or peeled ground tomatoes
tsp fresh ground black pepper
tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 TB of olive oil
1/2 clove garlic or of a Dorot frozen garlic cube or tsp garlic powder
tsp ground fennel (optional)

Shake in a container and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.