Author Topic: My anticlimactic Blackstone Oven night (damaged)  (Read 1603 times)

Offline PizzaLuv

• I Love Pizza!
My anticlimactic Blackstone Oven night (damaged)
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
So just got the oven last night. Was so excited to put it together until I actually started -to put it
together. Lower stone was broken in half in the box. It took me an hour to get the left legs into the base of the oven - it just didn't fit in! And then after all that and legs that are pretty much not coming out I am about to put the side trays in when I noticed the steel in the insert hole is completely bent in. So now I can't get that in and I couldn't even return it if I wanted to because the legs are so tight they won't come out to return!! Not only that but in the box I notice this metal circular ring that I have no idea where that goes and the pictures do not look like my oven in terms of the spinning machine and how that fits in.
Tried calling griddle guru- no answer tried calling blackstone - no answer.
HELP!!!!
There really is no way to return this,  imprecise packaging they should really send me a new one free of charge for a product that came to me defective.
SORRY MY PICS ARE UPSIDE DOWN. I FAILED TO MENTION THAT MY LOWER STONE IS IN (EVEN THOUGH IT IS BROKEN) BUT THEN I NOTICED THIS METAL RING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX! AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT? THE LOWER STONE SEEMS TO BE ABOUT 3/4- 1 INCH ABOVE AND ITS ROTATING BUT THERE MUST BE SOME REASON FOR THIS PIECE OF METAL?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:17:40 PM by PizzaLuv »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: My anticlimactic Blackstone Oven night (damaged)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
I corrected a couple of the photos for the benefit of other members.  From the number of your posts, I'm guessing that you are a new member and perhaps new to discussion forums.  If so, we are all just pizza enthusiasts trying to help one another (volunteers, nobody gets paid, etc.).

For me, it isn't really clear what you are asking for.  I believe the "metal ring" you are referring to is shown in the second photo.  That is a common ball bearing that should fit on the second support tray of the oven housing.  When you put the platter shaft into the housing, the first tray contains a metal bushing (collar) welded in place, then under that is a second support tray (which should contain the bearing).  Your bearing may have become dislodged during shipping.  I haven't removed or installed that bearing, but often these types of bearings are pressed into position - meaning it could be difficult for you to install.  You will need to work these issues with griddle guru / Blackstone.  The number for Blackstone Support is 435-252-3030.
Dave

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
Check out my  reply from the other Blackstone thread
Well oven #3 showed up today , pretty busted up, box was half open so UPS driver and I opened real fast, everything was broken, big holes in box, I refused it, still got oven #2 sitting here, they kept telling me since Monday they issued a call tag, nothing yet, called Cabelas and told em again everything was busted, I suggested they unpack and repack in several boxes, this is the last time I'm dealing with is as I'm gonna be out of town next week so by the time I get a working oven it will be time for me to go back to PA...........stay tuned
This was the third one Cabela's has sent me

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
Check your local lowes store you can pick him up directly there :chef:

Offline PizzaLuv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
Tampa-
So you're saying that metal ring that I have pictured should not be off?!! I tried calling Blackstone several times on Friday and no one picked up just left a message and emailed them. Same went for Griddle Guru- no one was home all day?!

So basically you're saying I got a lemon.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Tampa-
So you're saying that metal ring that I have pictured should not be off?!! I tried calling Blackstone several times on Friday and no one picked up just left a message and emailed them. Same went for Griddle Guru- no one was home all day?!
So basically you're saying I got a lemon.
Many owners never see that bearing because it is properly installed during manufacture and it isn't easily visible inside the oven.  I had a number of issues when my early-unit BS arrived (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg266107.html#msg266107), as did many other early adopters.

If you read the early post above, perhaps I got a lemon, but for me, I didn't see it that way.  I was considering building a LBE or custom oven or TBD and all of a sudden this Blackstone appeared for $350 that was capable of making crazy good pizza.  So I hammered what I could and got spare parts as necessary.  Since then I have been enjoying a lot of great pizza.

I certainly understand your frustration, I just came at it from a different perspective.

Dave

Offline PizzaLuv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:40 AM »
Dave-
I'm definitely trying to be more positive about the oven, because like you I was also quite happy to see this product come along. However, you seem to be more handy than me and for someone like me who is not so good at this type of stuff it's frustrating to say the least. I was looking at your previous posts in how you fixed and dealt with some issues, and when i looked at your picture where the motor is it seems that what i have looks different? I just took a few pictures and this is what I have. I think my square key is much longer and something just looks different about that area where the engine goes- take a look:
I also have no idea what to do with that bearing, but even with that piece not in seems as though the bottom stone is 3/4-1 inch above the collar.
Anyway, the square key just looks long and awkward and the engine only slides into the bottom (which is the second platform from the top).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:50:12 AM by PizzaLuv »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
PizzaLuv,  you have the new style, call it version 2.  Yes the bracket for the rotissiere motor is diff, it is lengthened by adding another bracket and supplying a longer square key so the motor can engage the shaft.  I have read the redesign is to put the motor further away from the heat, though I have not read any posts here about motor failures.  The way is should be set up is that the metal platter is at the top - most users set it so that it is 3/4 inch above the opening in the front, and you tighten the stop collar to do that.  There are two different places to put the stop collar.  Many users buy a ball bearing, and put in on the platter shaft, right below the stop collar, put the platter assembly in the BS, then lock the stop collar to get the appropriate height.  The ball bearing rests on a metal bracket. Others, and I am in this camp, put the platter assembly in the BS through the first bracket at the top, then put on stop collar on the shaft - it makes it hard to adjust the collar - since you have to reach that area from behind the oven, and it is hard to see what you are doing, but when you do it that way, the collar rests on the bearing that was supplied by BS -  which you found loose.  See if you can put the bearing back in place,  I haven't taken mine apart recently. but would guess that it just presses in.   The way to know you have it right is the platter should turn easily by hand ( before you put the square key in).   

Offline PizzaLuv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
Barry- Thankyou so much for helping me clear up the fact that this is indeed a version 2. I was starting to go crazy because the instructions and the video were something different. So I am a little confused. I think I put the bearing in place the way it came, I kind of snapped it in to the hole. You can see in Picture 2 the metal bearing with it protruding through the hole now. Is that where it's supposed to go? I don't understand what the point of that bearing is for? Is it to just stabilize the shaft as it makes its way down through the hole? Because it seems that's pretty much what it is doing.
Ok..so in picture number 1 you see there is the pizza platter with the shaft and on the shaft is the collar. All I did was put the shaft in the hole and aligned the square key  with the end of the metal shaft? I then took a picture of what my platter looks like in terms of the height from the opening in the front and measured and got between 1/2 and 5/8" and the wheel is spinning nicely. Should I be adjusting the collar so table is 3/4" above? I'm not the most handy guy so would I have to buy another ball bearing? what is that for? What's the reason for having the collar rest on the bearing(the way you do it?)I have to say, the platter is a little whobbly, I wish the wheel would spin a little more at a consistent plane. Is there anything I can do about that? I noticed there is a tiny gap between the shaft and the lower metal ball bearing- if this were more snug the wheel wouldnt be as whobbly. Thanks again and appreciate the help.

PS sorry pics are not oriented correctly, something with taking pictures with an iphone that screws it up, annoying.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:46:56 AM by PizzaLuv »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Pizzaluv, assuming your first photo of the 3 is upside down, you have the bearing in the right place.  On mine, I put the stop collar directly above that bearing, so the weight of the platter and stone is borne by that bearing.  You definitely have version 2, on version 1, the stop collar only has 1 set screw.    I have attached a photo that shows each of the items, you can't see the stop collar in the labelled photo, and I shot an extra photo of that, but you can't ever see that in person, I had to stick the camera up there to get the photo.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
Pizzaluv, your setup is probably the most common, and it should work fine.  Many purchasers wanted to make sure the platter rotated smoothly, and so they bought a bearing an put it on the shaft directly below the stop collar, and then assembled as you did, and the stop collar sat on their bearing an rotated smoothly.  Someone, not me, noticed there was a bearing in the lower bracket, and thought it would make more sense putting the stop collar there, since it would be resting on the bearing, and would in theory have less friction.  As long as it turns freely, I suggest you leave it as is.  In terms of height of the platter, there is a tradeoff, read here.  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Adjusting_the_Gap_between_the_Upper_and_Lower_Stones

A little wobbly is no problem, what you need to avoid is any binding or grinding noise .  you always want the platter moving and you would hate to have it seize up while you are preheating the stone.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
Great posts Barry.  Very helpful.
Dave

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »
All I know is that if I spend 300 bucks on something, it better be perfect out of the box, or it will be returned until they manage to send one that is.

Offline PizzaLuv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
Thanks Barry,
Was very helpful to me in the setup. Now just have to wait until Blackstone's customer service which have not been easy to get in touch with to get back to me. I heard they were top notch, so I am very surprised at how I have not been dealt with
David

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
All I know is that if I spend 300 bucks on something, it better be perfect out of the box, or it will be returned until they manage to send one that is.
I get that.  Thanks to many posters with their stories and pictures, forum readers understand the risks/rewards,retail options and price points. 

Several months ago I posted For those wondering about fixing the BS product quality and box/packaging: BS buys these things by the container load so expect better boxes to take time to engineer, incorporate into production, ship across the pond, and arrive at your doorstep.  Just sayin. (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg283783.html#msg283783).  I still think we have a way to go before most customers receive "perfect" based on the forum posts we are seeing.    But maybe not - since perfection is in the eyes of the beholder and the more spectacular issues are generally the ones that motivate posters.

At some level it is a simple tradeoff between time and money.  Stocking retailers sometimes (eg Lowes) charge more but offer pre-purchase inspection.  Web sales are sometimes less expensive, but returns take time and effort.  Just sayin.

Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »
Dave,  I agree, it is usually a tradeoff between time and money, but even spending top dollar isn't a guarantee.   I have spent top dollar buying an extremely high end appliance, probably costs 3 to 4 times what an normal level appliance would cost, and one burner ring was markedly different shade than the other three.    Since the BS is so much cheaper than a WFO or the other gas fired ovens that can reach a similar heat, I am more than willing to do some tinkering.  Agree that their product packaging needs some work, but again, that just means more dollars of cardboard and foam, and that increases the price.   

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
Dave,  I agree, it is usually a tradeoff between time and money, but even spending top dollar isn't a guarantee.   I have spent top dollar buying an extremely high end appliance, probably costs 3 to 4 times what an normal level appliance would cost, and one burner ring was markedly different shade than the other three.    Since the BS is so much cheaper than a WFO or the other gas fired ovens that can reach a similar heat, I am more than willing to do some tinkering.  Agree that their product packaging needs some work, but again, that just means more dollars of cardboard and foam, and that increases the price.
^^^