Author Topic: New York style....In tulsa Ok.  (Read 939 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
New York style....In tulsa Ok.
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
We have three pizza parlors that claim they are New York Style. Two of them I thought were not quite true to style. So after a year of wondering I thought I would try my luck. So I went to a place just called New York Pizza I have heard some troubling reviews about the service. So, I decided to go at lunch when they were swamped.

I got to watch the prep. They used a ball for each pizza. They stretched the skin to about 10" with their fingers, then used their knuckles to get a little more, and then tossed in the air to finish the 16 inch pie. They did this on a marble counter with a lot of bench flour. From the time we place our order the pie was at the table in less than 10 minutes. It was a Italian sausage and mushroom pizza.

I must say it was the best pizza we ever ate. It was thin, crispy, and had a nice light chew. I folded it with ease. The flavors were very mild. The sauce did not have much flavor, and the sausage had a mild Fennel taste. There were no overpowering flavor profiles. I could have eaten the whole 16" pie by myself, but did not want to be in pain for the rest of the day. It will be the only commercial pizza parlor I will go to from now on.

I got to talk to the owner even at this busiest time of day. He was great. His sauce is in house, and he makes his own sausage. He is from New York and has been selling pies for over 40 years. He did tell me that the secret to his crisp and chewy dough was high gluten flour, and he cooks at 750 degrees using a triple decker gas oven with stone floors. He was a nice guy and seemed to know most of his customers by name

I have included pics to see if you guys think this is pretty close to NY style.  My crust is pretty close to his, now I just now have to figure out his sauce. It was very mild and not really sweet. it not did seem to have much flavoring from garlic, basil, and oregano. Sorry for last fuzzy pic.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: New York style....In tulsa Ok.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
I hate to comment on pictures because I know how hard it is to capture the true color of the pie.  I have tried flash on, flash off, inside/outside with never the true look captured right.  I grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza world and those slices do not look very good to me.  I am not talking color representation but the overall makeup of the crust, cheese, sauce, is not near right.   Plus running a triple deck oven at 750 is doubtful.  Most deck ovens only go to 650 and if you run them much over 550 you will get way uneven browning on top/bottom -top will be undercooked and bottom charcol.  Maybe he has some state of the art new ovens that I am unaware of.   I may be all wrong on this but as long as you loved it that is all that matters.  :)   Walter
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:56:08 PM by waltertore »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
I agree with Walter.  The crust and cheese look very unappealable but I never judge a book by its cover.  How long did u wait before taking the pic?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:05:02 AM »
It sat on the box for about 30 minutes. The pics do it no justice. I am pretty picky when it comes to a nice tasting pie.I was amazed at the flavor profile. The crust was wonderful and the toppings did not overwhelm the flavor of the crust. I was not sure when I saw the pie arrive at the table. But my pickey taster usually only has one slice, but hew went for three pieces and would have had more if I would have let him. Sometimes looks are deceiving, and my pics are not the best
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:43:17 AM by nick57 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
Another pizza making fiend saw my post and ran out and got a pie. They were blown away by the crust and flavor. He said the pie was about as ugly looking as mine. His family thought it was wonderful. I did notice that they did not take much care when applying the toppings, but I went at lunch and they were backed up to the entrance. One reason for going at rush hour was to see if they had pre-made skins. Every pizza was made using a fresh ball. I will go back again at mid afternoon just to see if they take a little more care when building the pie.

It may not represent true New York pies, but it was the best pizza I have had in Tulsa. Maybe that tells the sorry state of pizza choices in Tulsa. I would stack mine up against theirs, except for the size. Here is a pic of their ovens. Looks like they have 4 decks instead of three
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:56:13 AM by nick57 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
Me bad!!! :( I was re-reading my post and I meant to say 650 degrees, not 750. Must have been that adult beverage I consumed before I went to the UFC fight. It was a good night, a belly full pie and time spent with wonderful friends.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
Me bad!!! :( I was re-reading my post and I meant to say 650 degrees, not 750. Must have been that adult beverage I consumed before I went to the UFC fight. It was a good night, a belly full pie and time spent with wonderful friends.

those are blodgett 1000 ovens (top one for sure the bottom one is blocked by the guy so I am not 100% sure it is but am 90% sure it is) which are the same we use and are regarded as top choice for NY style pizza.  The old stones contain asbestos and are no longer made.  They provide even heating with no rotating needed and very little heat loss at peak usage.   That said, if you run one at 650 you will have a burned bottom and barely melted top with the original stones which our ovens have.   With the replacement stones, which most are equipped with seeing these ovens are from the 70's, maybe you can run them at 650(highest temp on a 1000 oven themostadt).  I have never worked with a 1000 with new stones, but do know the new stones are terrible for even cooking of the sides of the pie and heat retention compared to the original stones.  If you see a guy opening the door, putting a peel under a pie, and spinning them a couple times in a bake, to keep an even crust color, they are running the new stones. With the door opening so much and the poor heat retention of the new stones, you might have to be run at 650 just to be able to keep up with demand.   With the original stones you just put them in and take them out when done and we run between 550-565 degrees.  After that it gets too hard to keep the top and bottom cooking evenly.   The pictures you posted on the oven and guy with the pies are too small on my screen to really say anything abou the pies.  Walter

PS:  Most homade pies on this forum are way better than most pizzerias pizzas.  To turn out a great pizzeria pizza takes a lot of knowledge and highly trained staff.   Either one or both of these things are lacking in most pro shops. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:29:33 PM by waltertore »

Offline waynesize

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
Walter, the PS in your post is exactly why I began making pizza at home. The pies I had been buying were bad, and getting worse. The chains are the worst, and the independents are not great in this area. Now, if I could just fit one of those 1000s in my kitchen  ;D

Wayne

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:19:51 PM »
Walter, the PS in your post is exactly why I began making pizza at home. The pies I had been buying were bad, and getting worse. The chains are the worst, and the independents are not great in this area. Now, if I could just fit one of those 1000s in my kitchen  ;D

Wayne

Wayne:  I am constantly impressed by the pictures of pies that members make.  You can get 1000's for next to nothing in this part of the country and I bet the same is for your area.  Conveyor ovens have displaced most of them.   They can easily be converted to propane which often is the way to go for the home baker because they often end up in an out building.  They weigh close to 1000 pounds each which is a hassle when moving but all the components are still made and easy to get.  I paid $1,200 for my stack and $750 to move them a mile. There are no electronics and if you can change the oil in your car working on them is no problem.  These ovens were massed produced and one of the top pizza ovens for many years.  With the lack of people who can use them right and the conveyor oven popularity that requires no prior pizza making skill to run, many of the 1000's are sitting in storage.  They are great for baking artisan breads/bagels, and any kind of stuff you cook in an oven.  Walter

here is a picture of our ovens and a couple of our pies.  The color of the pies is not accurate(frustrates me to no end these picture cameras!)  but you can see how even the crusts are and there was 0 rotating of pies in the oven as they baked.  the one with pepperoni that is charred is suppose to be that way. We cook it in oil in a cast iron skillet on the deck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:33:43 PM by waltertore »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
I would like to purchase an old 1000 and I must say I am not seeing them sold a dime a dozen. Not even close man!  >:(
Also, why does it take years to learn to make a good NY pie?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
I would like to purchase an old 1000 and I must say I am not seeing them sold a dime a dozen. Not even close man!  >:(
Also, why does it take years to learn to make a good NY pie?

Bob

Bob:  I always ask pizzeria owners if they have any laying around or know of anybody with any.  I got mine from a funky pizzeria that went out of business.  They owed a ton of back rent so the owner agreed to take all the equipment in lieu of the rent.  They had new tennants ready to move in and didn't want the ovens there.   gabaghool (nick) who posts here owns a dozen or so of them in his place.  He told me they are getting more expensive lately.  He is in CT and the north east is more likely to value them.  Here in the rust belt they are not very valued.  The good news is they weigh a ton so when someone wants to move them out of their life you can usually get a good deal around these parts.  I never go through the commercial equipment resale people.  They ask an arm and a leg for usually trash. 

Your NY style pies look great!  I got lucky growing up where I did.  It is like out here people are natural hunters and fishermen and I am clueless to that stuff.  I only carried a gun in my waistband walking the streets of Newark NJ and NYC and I wasn't hunting no rabbits :-D 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:49:59 PM by waltertore »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
  I only carried a gun in my waistband walking the streets of Newark NJ and NYC and I wasn't hunting no rabbits :-D
Ha! In Chicago we preferred the 25 auto in the back pocket dealio!  :-D
See how things can be so different in various parts of the Country folks?  8)

Bob

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Next time I go there for a pie I will try to get some pics of their procedure, and maybe some info on the dough making process. Sorry for the pic quality, It is from their website. Members here make prettier looking pies than this place. It was nice to find a place in town that made something besides thin bread with pizza toppings. Looking at their website, it looks like they use same day dough. Hmm..... not so sure if I like that.

http://www.nycpizzatulsa.com/homepage.html

Offline waynesize

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »
The important thing is, you liked the pizza. Sometimes, the prettiest girls are not the most fun on a date!  :D

Wayne

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
Nick,

There are a few more photos on their facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/nycpizzatulsa  It looks like the parents also had a NY style pizzeria in Oklahoma.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
I agree, sometimes looks are deceiving. The other two local NY style pizza parlors pies look like they forgot the toppings. Maybe a dozen pieces of nasty looking sausage, and very little sauce and cheese. I reheated the three leftovers on a 500 degree stone, and they tasted almost the same as fresh out of the oven. I guess my bucket list will be to go to the the big Apple and try the real deal. Now the $64 question, where should I go for the real deal for an authentic pie. I know that is a tough one, so I will go first with the one the majority agree on. I know there is no right answer, but It will give me a starting point and maybe have some fun on my quest for the food of the Gods. We have art crawls on the first Fridays for local artists. Maybe a pizza crawl is in order. I'll have to get a bigger belt though.

Sorry for asking so many questions. Living in Tulsa, most people think pizza is something you can get by delivery, or pick up already precooked. We have a large Mexican population, and even their food is geared for the fast food types and not quality.

Hope you guys don't think I am too much of a bother here. Art is my first love, and I think a great pie is my second. I wonder if I could build a coffin shaped like a pizza slice. I saw a pic of a guy buried with him riding his Harley.

Thanks for the Facebook link Norma. Now if their pies looked like yours. I think I should contact Webster's dictionary and tell them to use a pic of your pies for their definition pizza.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
The important thing is, you liked the pizza. Sometimes, the prettiest girls are not the most fun on a date!  :D

Wayne
    :-D   Monkey woman!  ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4CrCTndkKc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4CrCTndkKc</a>

Offline waynesize

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
I always liked the pizza reference in that one!

Wayne