Author Topic: Pizza changed the world today  (Read 490 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Pizza changed the world today
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
Tonight is a parent teacher conference night which means I am here until 7:30.  I have no conferences but need to be here- cotractual thing.  It is suppose to snow prettty bad tonight and most likely school will be canceled or delayed.  I had a bunch of dough that would be on the way out past tomorow.  There is a boys basketball game tonight.  I talked to the people running the snack bar earlier today and asked if they would be interested in selling our pizzas at the freshman and varsity games.   They usually use Donatos and when I explained our pies they said lets do it.  My main pizza girl Paige agreed to stay here and help.  Since she has mastered tossing pies I can't keep her away from them :)  There is a regular education girl that volunteers in our class and she agreed to come too.  So her and Paige made a bunch of pizzas for the freshman game and we have an hour to kill before making the varsity game pies.   This girl has been trying like all heck to get Paige to do things with her after school.  Paige has never hung out with a person that isn't in jail, addicted, violent, so such a thing is quite scary to her.   They are planning an ice skating night together soon and I suggested they go to the game and come back in time to make the pies.  Paige said no but I looked at her and said come on give it a shot.  So off they went arm in arm laughing.........  It brought tears to my eyes.  The regular education girl is very popular and a sports standout.  She is kind beyond words and has found a calling with my kids.   So Paige is out with her as I type watching a high school basketball game in a safe, happy, loving, situation.   It all came about via pizza :chef:  Walter

PS:  The booster club that sells snacks wants us to make pizzas at all their events.  They all said they never tasted anythng like our pies.   That felt great.  Also a NJ native drove all the way in from Columbus (40 miles) to buy his bi-weekly pie.  This adventure just keeps getting better!  Pizza crosses all lines of life.  Everyone loves pizza and we are connecting my kids with the world via it!

Offline waynesize

Re: Pizza changed the world today
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
When do you sell the movie rights?   :) Your story is very heartwarming, and it would be great for others to hear it!  Keep up the wonderful work. Your kids are lucky to have someone like you in their lives.

Wayne

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »
Faaaantastic Walter!  :chef:

This sounds a bit like being a proud papa. A nice little payback for some of those more frustrating times you endure there.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have been working with damaged kids so long I kind of know the routine but it still rocks me. Paige came back from the game and looked mad. I have come to accept that having a warm loving time is as unerving to her as would be watching her scene in action for most of us.  I asked how it was and she said boring and then went on to talk about her brother and sisters upcoming court cases/impending imprisonment, and she is graduating this year and never coming back to visit. I said I will miss her when she graduates and left it at that.   She had to regain control and in her world it comes from conflict.  I didn't engage and that works better because she felt in control of her destiny.   I still wish I could rewind the clock on so many of these troubled kids but that is wasted blue energy and have to change that thought asap.  I know once she processes the evening in her head she will come bsck to school excited and glad she went to the game. 

A movie?  I would love that especially if it was a blockbuster.  We could set up trust funds for the kids so they could live their lives out in safety and comfort which are things we often take for granted and something most of my students will never know.   It is snowing good. I think school will closed tomorrow and I will not complain.  These 13 hour days with no break are tougher than they use to be- the joints are creaking a bit tonight!  Walter
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:33:44 PM by waltertore »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
When do you sell the movie rights?   :) Your story is very heartwarming, and it would be great for others to hear it!  Keep up the wonderful work. Your kids are lucky to have someone like you in their lives.

Wayne

Yes, that's right. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your stories of hardship, success, redemption, and now integration, all with pizza in the background. It is so inspiring, so full of hope and love. Walter, you are a visionary and a healer in your community. I wish I lived nearer to you so I could come and see your operation.  Thanks for sharing your great stories with us! 

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:57 AM »
 :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:11 AM »
that's so awesome Walter.  Even though she came back looking mad hopefully future plans with this girl will happen and Paige will learn the other world out there and start to get comfortable with it. 

Totally true that you can't rewind the clock but you are doing over and above to give them a chance at a future.   :D

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
May God continue to bless you Walter!!!!

John

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
Thanks everyone :)  I see it all as just plain common sense and life is too short to do meaningless work.  Walter

pizzapan