Author Topic: eyes opened by Naples  (Read 226 times)

Offline brianp

• I Love Pizza!
eyes opened by Naples
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »
Greetings forum,

I've made what I considered to be Neapolitan pizzas that I was satisfied with at time, but had my eyes opened by a visit to Naples this winter. I was able to taste several very high quality pies, among an unfortunate number of very mediocre ones.

Now I see clearly that I need to educate myself about what is and isn't possible to replicate elsewhere about this style.

Offline derricktung

Re: eyes opened by Naples
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
For those of us that have been fortunate enough to go to Naples, it indeed is a very eye-opening experience.  Any particular places you liked or didn't like?

Offline Davydd

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:35:52 PM »
I had several pizzas in Rome while on my own, but in Naples I was part of a cruise ship port tour first to Pompeii and then to Naples for a pizza. So I didn't have any choice in the matter as to where to go. The pizza was good and just about what I had hoped.
Davydd

Offline brianp

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:58:50 AM »
I tried several pizzas of different styles in Rome and while some were very tasty, I wouldn't go back again and again.

The most exiting pizza in Naples was from Salvo:

http://www.salvopizzaioli.it/

Unfortunately, it is a bit hard to reach, but worth the effort. I also had good luck in a few very small, out of the way places which I passed by chance and would have a hard time locating again.

On the other hand, I tried the several "famous" pizzas in center of Naples, and was not very impressed by any of them - and some were just tourist traps. 

I wonder what else I missed!

pizzapan