Author Topic: My copycat kettle pizza  (Read 752 times)

Offline I8Pizza

My copycat kettle pizza
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
Haven't cooked a pizza on it yet.  Make from a 24"x48" bare 22gauge sheet steel from lowes. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: My copycat kettle pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
Haven't cooked a pizza on it yet.  Make from a 24"x48" bare 22gauge sheet steel from lowes.
It looks like fun.  Something between a Frankenweber and LBE.  That temp reading looks high to me.  Are you sure the IR gun wasn't including the flame?  We'll need a name - how about I8PizzaOven or I8FrankenFO? :chef:
Dave

Offline hpka

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
I was wondering if you could post a few more pictures that show your design? I might head to lowes tonight

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
I8,
Regarding that temperature reading, I posted elsewhere (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.msg319379#msg319379) about some limitations of IR guns pertaining to the size and shape of the area being measured.  I copied the relevant text below for easy reference.
Dave

Cnsider reading up on the spot ratio of your IR gun.  If, for example, you use the common Harbor Freight IR gun, the spot ratio is 8:1.  Assuming your gun is 16 inches from the point you are aiming at, that doubles the ratio to 16:2 - meaning sixteen inches away gives the average temperature inside a two inch circle.  Think about it as if you were holding a flashlight from above instead of the HF IR gun.  But given the opening in the Blackstone, the gun can not be held directly over the stone hence the ideal spot (circular) gets projected as an ellipse when the gun is held at an angle to the stone.  The point is that the temperature area being measured is not as tidy as that little dot would suggest.

pizzapan