Author Topic: Pillsbury Best Bleached & Bromated  (Read 567 times)

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Pillsbury Best Bleached & Bromated
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »
I'm getting very consistent excellent results using this flour. I thought I would share this info in case someone was looking at other flour options.
The first picture is a 48 hour cold ferment reballed after 24 hours.
Other pictures are the outcome , which I thought was quite tasty, crispy, yet chewy.

63% hydration, .56% ady, 1.75% non iodized salt, 2.98% soybean oil, 1.05% sugar. 16 ounce balls for 14 inch pie.

Cooked 5 minutes @550 degrees convection on a stone bottom shelf. Works for me every time.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pillsbury Best Bleached & Bromated
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
Great job, Joe!
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks Mary Ann!  I can't get over how good this crust looks and tastes, everyone who has tried it loves it! I have since been having a family night at my place every other weekend. It's fun, the kids get to hang out while we play cards/party and I sling out the pies for everyone. I'm now looking into making an LBE for the summer months when it's just too hot to turn on the oven.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
I recorded the temperature of my pizza stone after preheating my oven in convection mode at 550 degrees... The stone temp was 580 degrees on the bottom shelf. I also keep another rectangular stone on the top shelf to add to the thermal mass. I cooked this pizza in 5 minutes...
I use the screen just for cooling...

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
those pies look great!  I am using the unbleached/unbromated version for our breads.  It is a solid flour. We were using havest king but it is no longer available in 50lb bags. They are very comparable IMO.   Walter

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
Hey thanks Walter,

I was considering trying the unbleached/unbromated flour after I recently found out about the health concerns with using bromated flours. I had no idea the potassium bromate added to the flour was considered to be a  carcinogen, but what isn't these days? However, This may be my last bag, but it is hard to let go of something that provides a great pie.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
Hey thanks Walter,

I was considering trying the unbleached/unbromated flour after I recently found out about the health concerns with using bromated flours. I had no idea the potassium bromate added to the flour was considered to be a  carcinogen, but what isn't these days? However, This may be my last bag, but it is hard to let go of something that provides a great pie.

If you switch the pies won't come out near as good.  We use the unbromated/non bleached Pilsbury flour for breads.  For pizza we use GM full strenght.  It makes much better pizza than the pilsbury non bromated. We are running low on Full Strenght and I have to drive 80 miles r/t for it.  I can get the Pilsbury non bromated/non bleached on our weekly GFS delivery.  I will have contact my rep to see if we can get the  bleached bromated and see how I like it.  Walter

pizzapan