Author Topic: Capt. B's pizza journey.......  (Read 6718 times)

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: Capt. B's pizza journey.......
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Thanks Pat!
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
Unbelievable Bob - love your experimentation lately!  :drool:  :chef:  The thins are really piquing my interest.
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
Thanks Jeff! I think next time I might cut the shortening down to 8% and the semolina down to 15%. This was almost too crispy, but still tasty......
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »
Thanks Jeff! I think next time I might cut the shortening down to 8% and the semolina down to 15%. This was almost too crispy, but still tasty......

I hear ya.  I think I'd like crispy thins almost to a cracker like quality. Maybe thats a different style though like St Louis or Detroit or something?  I've never explored the "dark side" as CB humorously called it.  >:D
Jeff

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »
Nice pies Capt. Awsome actually. Wish i was one of the lucky ones that got a BS real cheap. Maybe 1 day!
Carl

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
Nice pies Capt. Awsome actually. Wish i was one of the lucky ones that got a BS real cheap. Maybe 1 day!

Thank you Carl. Actually, I used the good ole kitchen oven for this pie although I'm sure the BS would have worked just fine......
Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
FWIW, here is the formula for Chi-town thin pizza that I use...it is adapted from Loo Waters emergency.
Only unusual thing I do is cut the lard into the flour before proceeding with rest of recipe.

flour (100%)
water (50%)
idy (2%)
salt (2%)
lard (5%)

I'll have this moved from your thread if you want Capt. Bob.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:39:39 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
FWIW, here is the formula for Chi-town thin pizza that I use...it is adapted from Loo Waters emergency.
Only unusual thing I do is cut the lard into the flour before proceeding with rest of recipe.

flour (100%)
water (50%)
idy (2%)
salt (2%)
lard (5%)

I'll have this moved from your thread if you want Capt. Bob.

No....don't have it removed Bob. I appreciate you posting your recipe and seeing pictures of what these are supposed to look like. Not having made one of these before I'm open to any and all suggestions. So my dough was kind of like a biscuit or pie crust dough in consistency. Did I use too much shortening or are they supposed to be like that?

Thanks buddy!
Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
No....don't have it removed Bob. I appreciate you posting your recipe and seeing pictures of what these are supposed to look like. Not having made one of these before I'm open to any and all suggestions. So my dough was kind of like a biscuit or pie crust dough in consistency. Did I use too much shortening or are they supposed to be like that?

Thanks buddy!

Yes, try the 5% fat Bob, it is the highest I ever go. Also, on the semolina, I believe Buzz or BTB were the first ones to start playing around with this and don't hold me to this but I'm pretty sure they ended up settling in at around 5% for the sweet spot. When I rarely use it I do 3%.
Also, was your dough used the same day?

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips Bob.....the dough was overnight in the fridge and then on the counter for about 5 hours....
Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2015, 05:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips Bob.....the dough was overnight in the fridge and then on the counter for about 5 hours....
There's your "biscuity" texture.

It is difficult when 2 folks are comparing texture. You said yours was "biscuit" and "pie crust like". For me down here in the South...those are 2 very different textures. They are similar though so I understand your inclination to use them as examples.

In my last post I addressed the "pie crust" issue by suggestion to cut back on the fat and the semolina.

Now, on this post when I said "There's your "biscuity" texture.", this is in reference to your overnight fermentation and extended counter rise. A good Southern biscuit will show very little "pie crust" layering and, rather, have a dense risen texture.

So actually, it seems (sounds like) your dough probably had a combination of these 2 textures going on.....big oil:pie crust / fermentation:biscuit.

Hope I'm not confusing you. These are easy peazzy pizzas....once you adjust/hit on the formula and work flow yielding the type of crust you like.

All the pizzerias do it a lil differently than the next guy so there are no rules etched in stone here. Simply try it a few different ways until you find what you like....and take notes along the way.

Did you post a crumb shot of your thin crust pizza Bob....I'll go check.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
Thanks pal. Appreciate it!.....
Bob