Author Topic: Lloyd Pans and a 650 degree f oven  (Read 36 times)

Offline elephant man

Lloyd Pans and a 650 degree f oven
« on: Today at 12:35:54 PM »
I have been making pizza for about the past year using Lloyd Pans to cook the pizza in. I guess the pizza would be sort of like a bar pizza. A pizza dough using a 100 % poolish and a 63 % hydration with olive oil. Mix 4 or 5 minutes on slow and then do a stretch and fold before putting the bulk recipe in the fridge and balling the next day. I try to get 320 gram balls shaped with a touch of oil and put in a ziplock 1 quart bag. Usually make about 19 at a time. The use of caputo flour 33% and bread flour 67%. The polish only gets about 1/8 of a teaspoon of IDY and ferments overnight on the counter. If I check on the poolish in the morning after 8-10 hours it will tell me when to make the dough. I use 660 grams flour mix and 660 grams water for the poolish. I use a 10 quart mixer thats made in Thailand for bakeries and looks like a Hobart. Only cost 600 bucks and has 3 speeds, great machine. I will usually put 3 dough balls in the refrigerator after balling for use today or the next day. The 3 kilos of flour mix only get about 2 teaspoons of yeast. The salt is 78 grams, water 1650 grams, I use 100 grams of oil mixed with oregano, black pepper, some italian seasoning and dry fennel ground up in a mortar/pestle. The balls are removed from the refer in the afternoon and placed on the counter on a wire rack to warm up. The oven is a China built one deck that can go up to 1000 degrees f. It costs about $1,000 about 6 years ago and works fine. It has the top and bottom temp dials. The dough balls will be cut out of the ziplock bags and the bags thrown away. It is so easy to just open the bag after you cut off the 3 sides and put it into the bench flour without touching the dough. Sometimes the balls are sticky because they may stay in the fridge for 2 or 4 days depending on when we make pizza. The other 16 dough balls were frozen. When you want pizza you have to think a day ahead and take some dough balls out of the freezer and put them in the refrigerator.

This is where the Lloyd Pans now come into play, I use the 12" x2" perforated pans and I also have the 13" perforated cutter pans with a 1/2" lip. The deep dish perforated pan gets a coating of Crisco. Stick about a tablespoon onto the walls of the pan with a paper towel and apply a thin coating on the bottom with the damp paper towel. This will allow the dough to stick to the pan when you open the dough ball and place it in the pan. It will also allow the pizza to fry a little when  baking and crisp up the bottom nice and brown. I put the cutter pan on top of the deep dish pan to control burning the pizza on the top when baking. I use a light coating of sauce about 3 Tablespoons for the 12" pizza. The toppings are 90% ham and pineapple (Thai people love this Hawaiian Style ) and a cheese mix of 50% mozzarella and 50% cheddar with parmesan added to prevent clumping.

The pizza cooks for 7 minutes, we do 2 at a time, and the pull the covers off the top and see if we want to cook a little more. Then they are pulled fro the oven and allowed to rest for a minute before we use an offset spatula to put them on a pizza screen/pizza pan combination. The screens allow the pizza to stay fresh and crispy. It easier in my opinion to use scissors to cut the pizza at the table.

I have used Jerry Macs recipe for NY style pizza as an emergency dough and the results are fantastic. The reason I use the poolish recipe with the stretch and fold is because it allows a great window for baking. It freezes real well also. Just about ant pizza dough recipe can be cooked in the pans, it's just that the poolish recipe is really easy and gives great oven spring.

I use a convection oven in my office in the States and thats where I learned about covering the pizza with a perforated lid or pizza screen to control top browning. It's practically foolproof. Baking pizza in the Lloyd Pans is one of the best ways to bake consistent pies every time. Crisco is the secret, Olive oil will not work, the dough keeps shrinking back together.

I have had nothing but compliments from my friends that eat these pizzas. I never see my electric bills so I don't know if it would be a commercial viable operation. I want to continue showing my staff in Thailand how to make pizza this way so they can do them when I travel away. 40-60 dough balls in the freezer and they are good for a daily pie or a pizza party. 

You can use this method for a 500 degree oven. It works fine, but the 650 degree bake gives out a superior pie. Cooks faster also.

I will try to do some photos when I learn how, sorry about that.  Just KISS !!!