Author Topic: Bench Flour Control  (Read 98 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Bench Flour Control
« on: Today at 10:28:33 AM »
When I'm working with fairly high hydration dough, which is pretty much all the time, bench  flour  with a touch of semolina, helps me a lot with shaping.

I know that keeping the final product reasonably  free of  more bench flour   especiiallyy on the rim, is very desirable. Any good tricks on how to get enough flour keep the dough dry enough to work with easily yet not have too much wind up on the finished crust. Varasano indicates the answer is experience..I'm sure that's true. Any good techniques to share?

Thanks!

JPB/Bill

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Bench Flour Control
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:20:31 AM »
I am from Essex County and seeing you are a fellow NJ boy I will share what I know :)  We use a fairly high hydration dough(63%) and the basic routine-

if it is sticky on the top we dust it with bench flour
use a bench knife to get it out of dough box
place dough ball in a bowl with flour and flip over to get both sides dusted
place ball on worksurface (we use stainless steel tables) with a decent dusting of bench flour
open dough ball to about 12" (we use 20 oz balls)
pick up and and do the palm to palm back and forth to get excess flour off the skin
hand toss and or hand stretch to size
place dough on peel that is lightly dusted with flour

We don't use semolina.  It makes a mess in the oven in that it requires much more scraping than with flour.  With flour we only have to scrape the oven a fraction of the time.  Our dough can sit on the peel for quite a bit (5 minutes or so) and still be launched without a problem.  We use semolina on bread boards with  high hydration round breads.  They sit on the boards for an couple hours rising.  The pre shake before launching pizzas and breads is essential for success.  If a pizza is stuck usually stretching the rim up off the peel fixes it.    I agree practice is the key.  Walter
« Last Edit: Today at 12:06:46 PM by waltertore »

Online TXCraig1

Re: Bench Flour Control
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:34:18 PM »
Keeping your dough fairly cool (mid-60's) helps.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan