Author Topic: Started out as a cracker crust  (Read 654 times)

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Started out as a cracker crust
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
My last cracker crust was posted on the Dough Doctor's no fail. I usually make my dough balls for cracker crusts double  what I need. I do this in case the edges become cracked or out of shape. So I made my last cracker on January 19th. I did a two day rest, so I started the dough on the 17th.
  When I  formed my skin, I took the leftover dough and bagged it up and put it in the fridge. I took it out today and made a pizza. So the dough sat in the fridge for 16 days. It smelled like beer. It also looked more like my NY style dough. I opened it up the same way as my NY style or PJ Clone. It was almost paper thin. It stretched out to 15 inches.
 I dressed it out with mozz, sausage, mushrooms,olives, and a spicy sauce. I cooked it on a 550 degree stone for around 8 minutes. The crust was thin and crispy, with a light chew and bite. The edge was crispy and a little chewy, but not bread like. If I did not know better, I would have thought this was one of my NY pies. I have read on the forum of people finding dough balls that have sat in the fridge way past the norm. I am going to try this again to see if I get the same results. It was a very good pie, and tasted better than the NY pie I bought in town earlier in the week.
  Oh, the flavor of the crust was wonderful. It had a very slight sourdough taste. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:30:54 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Started out as a cracker crust
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
Looks delicious Nick..welcome to the world of the forgotten dough ball!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
Thanks Bob! When I first put the leftover dough back in the fridge it was so dry that you could not form it into a ball. It was more like a bunch of scrap pieces. I learned one thing for sure. When I make a cracker, save the leftover dough. I missed out on a ton of pizzas.  Even with a 47% hydration, if you let time work it's magic, you can have a wonderful pie. I was not sure if I should have posted this in the NY thread, but since it was the basic cracker crust recipe, I posted it here.
 Next time I may up the hydration to 50% to get a better oven spring, and let it sit for two weeks before using. I also think the skin was a tad too thin. I think the TF was about.07 or even less. You could read Moby Dick through it. I'll just have to make a dough ball and then after 7 days make another so that after the first 14 days I can always have a ball at the ready every week. It would be like mix it and forget it. Instead of using the KA mixer to bring the dough together as in typical NY style, I do it by hand folding it with a spatula. It takes about 5 minutes from start to bagging the dough ball. Can't get much easier than that. Hmm.... maybe too much dedication, or addiction to that Italian candy. I can't stress enough about the flavors that the crust had.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:02:59 PM by nick57 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
Nick,

That is a beautiful looking pie!   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
Thanks Norma! I was expecting a hard crust that was just inedible. Instead, I got a pie that was more NY style. Go figure. I don't know how to classify this style, but it was not what I expected. I would serve it to anyone.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks Bob! When I first put the leftover dough back in the fridge it was so dry that you could not form it into a ball. It was more like a bunch of scrap pieces. I learned one thing for sure. When I make a cracker, save the leftover dough. I missed out on a ton of pizzas.  Even with a 47% hydration, if you let time work it's magic, you can have a wonderful pie. I was not sure if I should have posted this in the NY thread, but since it was the basic cracker crust recipe, I posted it here.

Yes, indeedy.  Very nice, Nick.  Looks great. :)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
When I first put the leftover dough back in the fridge it was so dry that you could not form it into a ball. It was more like a bunch of scrap pieces. I learned one thing for sure. When I make a cracker, save the leftover dough. I missed out on a ton of pizzas.  Even with a 47% hydration, if you let time work it's magic, you can have a wonderful pie. I was not sure if I should have posted this in the NY thread, but since it was the basic cracker crust recipe, I posted it here.

Nick,

Given enough time, even under cold fermentation, the protease enzymes and acids formed in the dough will attack the gluten structure and break it down. It is also possible for the water to be released from its bond and cause the dough to be on the wet and damp side. That is most likely why you had difficulty attaching a style name to the dough. But what you experienced is what I experienced when I played around with cold fermented doughs that lasted days and even weeks. A good example is the pizza shown and described at Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg36081.html#msg36081. That pizza was based on a dough that had cold fermented for over twelve days. Note, in particular, my description of the finished crust characteristics, to wit:

The most interesting part of the pizza was the crust. It was chewy but not bread-like. In fact, the entire crust, including the rim, had a texture that was reminiscent of those I have made using natural preferments. There was a “stretch” and springiness to the crumb, and it had tooth. The oven spring was surprisingly good, and, although not entirely evident from the photos, there were small blisters over the entire rim, along with a few bubbles. I attribute the bubbles and blisters to the late stage of fermentation. I also thought the crust color was very good, given the fact that I did not use any sugar in the dough and I did not use the broiler element to contribute to the crust color. I did not detect the same level of sweetness in the crust that I achieved in earlier experiments, but the crust was quite flavorful nonetheless, with a hint of sourness that was not objectionable in any way.

Peter

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
Pete I read your reply #29, a lot of great information. I'm gonna try this again, and resize the dough ball for a 14" pie. I really like the texture of the crust and the flavor profile. It's so easy, just a quick mix and forget for two weeks.