Author Topic: Today's sicilian with fresh mozzarella and thick sauce  (Read 920 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Today's sicilian with fresh mozzarella and thick sauce
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:22:40 AM »
I cooked this for fifteen minutes on my stone with a fairly thin layer of uncooked sauce then added some fresh mozzarella to cook down then topped it the last five minutes with sauce with one onion. I'm fairly happy especially for the little effort I put into this pizza, but I will be doing a few things different next time. First I'm going to use sourdough and add 20% white spelt flour. Then I'm going to let the dough ferment 2-3 day. The mozarella cooked fine, but I think it may have caused this soggy layer underneath that I had gotten away from.

Any tips on how to make a sicilian better/less soggy? By the way I'm not entirely sure what the hell a Sicilian pizza is supposed to look like since they don't even really eat what we call Sicilian in Sicily.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's sicilian with fresh mozzarella and thick sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:22:25 AM »
 :drool: looks great to me Joey.  Sicilian is my favorite.  It doesn't look at all soggy to me.  How long did you leave it in the pan before you sliced it?  That used to happen to me until I figured out that the pie creates steam and the bottom can become soggy if left in the pan too long.

Another thing that can cause a soggy Sicilian is if there is too much oil in the pan and you go to hand stretch the dough to fill out the pan, you accidentally tear the dough and don't see it.  When you don't see it, you can't fix it and you're left with a soggy Sicilian  :'(

Sourdough Sicilian is awesome.  Check this thread out http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28922.0

Make sure you post a pic of your SD Sicilian pizza.
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
Joe,

There are many kinds of Sicilian pizzas in my opinion.  This is one place I tried different formulations out to make a Sicilian pizza I liked.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18281.0.html 

All depends on what type of Sicilian pizza you would like to be able to create.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Mary Ann. Yours looks good in that picture. I posted on it if you look. Hah. I live in the South so I don't really encounter much variety until more recently. I see how you cheesed yours and I think that would work. You had to have used low-moisture mozzarella I'm assuming.

Norma, thanks for the link. Your sicilians are killer. I'm learning a lot just paying attention to your use of diastatic malt and sugar. I can't believe 2% difference in hydration is noticeable and needed with a different brand of bread flour. I will say this I realized it yesterday that the white spelt I had been mixing in with bread flour a few days back had been making the dough stretch much better. The KABF takes some time to stretch. For a second I thought I might not get my dough stretched out well enough for this pizza.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
I think to make it less soggy you might try laying down sliced mozz under the sauce.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
Thanks Misterchu. I think I'll play the mozzarella some like you said and also not cook the sauce at all. I'm reading on Norma's page she sent that uncooked sauce works better often. I have noticed this before too, but I have really enjoyed some pizzas with crushed tomatoes ontop with tons of romano cheese. I think though they had put the crushed tomatoes on in the the last few minutes though. Who knows.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »
Mary Ann. Yours looks good in that picture. I posted on it if you look. Hah. I live in the South so I don't really encounter much variety until more recently. I see how you cheesed yours and I think that would work. You had to have used low-moisture mozzarella I'm assuming.

Yes, Joe, I always use WMLM motz.  I par bake mine with uncooked crushed tomatoes first at 500 convection for about 15 minutes then add the cheese and bake for another 7-10 minutes.  Mine is not soggy at all with the cheese on top  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
Yea I'm doing that next time then. I have some friends coming over tonight so I might make them one for the hell of it. We're already on this site.