Author Topic: Anchor Cheese and Cost Calculation Help  (Read 428 times)

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
Anchor Cheese and Cost Calculation Help
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Hi, I apologize if this is not in the correct forum.  I had a few questions:

1) Has anyone ever used Anchor brand cheese?  I'm making pizza in China and it seems that this is the most popular imported brand of cheese.  Apparently importing from New Zealand and Australia is cheaper than the US, but all so expensive due to import taxes.

2)  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5.w4002-1155094453.49.wGJw7Y&id=18166241537

It's selling in that link above: 10KG for 530RMB.  So a few conversions:  10kg = 352 ounces or 22lbs, and the exchange rate is roughly $1 = 6RMB.  This means that the block of cheese is 22Lbs, and selling for $88.33.  This would be roughly $4lb/ or $0.25 an ounce.    Since there are roughly 6 ounces of cheese on a 12 inch pie, it would cost $1.50 in cheese at this price to make a 12 inch pie.

Does this cost calculation look correct?  How does that compare to bulk pricing in the US?

Thanks,
Billy Corgan

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Anchor Cheese and Cost Calculation Help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
Billy:  Grande low moisture whole milk mozz is a common cheese here and as of today it is going for $3.60/lb at GFS.  I guess it all breaks down to what a pie costs you and what you can sell it for.   Walter

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:11:43 AM »
Hi Billy,

Thanks you already saved me 20% on this link. Where are you set up in China? Have you tried this cheese yet? So far I have only tried Dutch Farms from Carefourre but haven't found a good supplier yet. There is a show in Shanghai starting Monday and should be a lot of food suppliers there.

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
Hey Billy I think I might have found a supplier who can do daily delivery at least in shanghai, shredded mozzarella about 50/kg. packed in 3/kg bags. Will forward you the info

pizzapan