Author Topic: And today's Sicilian with low moisture mozzarella and grana padano  (Read 616 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
I made this dough with 50% KABF and 50% white spelt flour +  sourdough. OMG that made a difference. It tasted so much better. It seemed almost a tad dry or salty on my throat though. I could have used a beer or something with it. I'm wondering if that is ever an issue anyone has encountered.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: And today's Sicilian with low moisture mozzarella and grana padano
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »
Love sourdough Sicilian, Joey!  What hydration did you use on this dough?
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
How come you're using spelt flour Joey?
Josh

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
I used a 62% hydration rate. The spelt was because I like Bonci from Pizzarium's pizzas turn out which use spelt. I used white spelt and it still tasted very different. I'm surprised I still got some bubbles in there with that. It has less gluten in it so it stretches easier too I think. Also my friend Mike has tried to convince me to get away from GMO white flour. I've gained a few pounds since pizza making which isn't much, but it wouldn't hurt to find something healthier. Thing is though I told him I wasn't doing that for the longest time since I knew everyone uses white flour for a reason in pizza. I think you have to understand the basics before you can get weird with it. Surprisingly it turned out great. Sometimes my sicilians seem a little dry in the crumb which is weird. However it didn't happen this way today. I think the sourdough is great too since it helps digest all the carbs in Sicilians. It should probably help get my family to eat it since they're all watching their carbs.