Author Topic: Caputo 00 Flour source east of Cleveland OH  (Read 869 times)

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Caputo 00 Flour source east of Cleveland OH
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
I treated myself to my first Neapolitan Pizza today and made a 100 mile round trip to Crostatas Rustic Pizza at 558 Bishop Road  Highland Heights, OH 44143. 

I dined on a superb MARGHERITA D.O.C. San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, basil and EVOO, that I thought was superb.  The crust tapered from a soft chewy center to a light, crisp cornice, and the brightness of the San Marzano tomatoes shined!  When I ordered just a coffee and received a Caffè Americano I was in heaven!

The important part, while talking to the owner, Angelo... was that they sold Caputo 00 flour in 2lb and 50 lb bags over the counter!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:57:21 PM by bigMoose »

Offline Teddy Ballgame

Re: Caputo 00 Flour source east of Cleveland OH
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
My parents live in Gates Mills and Crostatas is awesome. That's great to hear. Also, Fowler's Mill in the area sells all kinds of flour if you are ever in the area again: http://www.fowlermill.com/

My favorite Cleveland style is also in the area, Pizzazz.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »
big moose, i have a pizza joint in Oberlin Ohio which is 40 miles east off of rt 2 if you ever need anything pizza related i can help you out. just pm me. i use caputo, lavalle tomatoes, grande cheese,full red products, and if i do not use it i can get it.

you are right  crostata's is great. the owner is john unless he sold the joint. he purchases his pizza supplies from sidari imports in cleveland. sidaris has a store inside their warehouse where the public can buy Italian imports. you can get smaller quantities but you pay for them. let me know if i can be any help. larry

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
Larry, thank you so much for your offer!  I had noticed that you had a shop near me, but with your invitation I will definitely make the effort to come and visit, and order a Pizza!

I should apologize for the assumption that Angelo was the owner of Crostatas... he likely is not based on your information.  He was very attentive to the details of the restaurant, and straightening all the chairs and such when he was free.  I noticed that he kept very busy with "oversight" type of work, and made the assumption that it was the behavior of an owner... might have been just a very good employee.

Thank you again, your post was very kind.  I have to admit I have been looking for a source of Grande that was less than a case to try it after tasting Walter's NY pie and his recommendation of Grande.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
  where are you located? unfortunately i use the mozz prov blend i love that sharp taste that the prov offers .i  can get you the shred or full block. i use four different pizza suppliers so i can get almost anything that is out there. i also do mobile wood fired pizza based on neapolitan pies. so that gets me involved with cured caputo  buffalo milk mozz. so if you need anything to keep your obsession going let me know.

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Larry, I just looked it up and I am less than 20 miles from you to the east in Columbia Station.  I have learned from Walter to take the recommendations from you guys that are pro's and learn from them.  Since I have never tried Grande, it likely would be wise to take your recommendation on what you like best!

Let me know what might be a good time to come and visit a bit, and if there is anything an ol' guy (60ish) can do to help, just let me know!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
 as a  fellow 60 year old i am inviting you to visit any time you would like. i do not make ny style mine is more greek style as it is cooked in a pan. my wood fired is 100 percent Neapolitan  i strive for 90 second bakes and use a lot of info from the forum to alway strive to improve both my house pizza and my neapolitan style. i have been at it for over 30 years and still love what i do.looking forward to you visiting! larry

and if you do another visit to Walters i would love to come along!!!

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
Larry, that sounds like a plan!  Let me coordinate with the wife and another friend that cooks (in fact he is coming over in 4 hours so we can do a pizza for lunch) and I'll PM you a day and time.  When at your shop, perhaps we can plan a trip to Walter's.  I am up for another visit, and having company on the drive down will sure make it go faster.  Thanks for being an ol' guy too, that ensures we will have plenty of stories to tell each other on the trip!   :-D

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
Dave/Larry:  It would be great to have you guys come by.  Weekends are best or during our spring break march 22-30th(anytime).  Walter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
 Hi walter for me a sunday would be the best day to take off. i would love to get a hands on lesson in the art of NY pizza. from you pictures and knowledge it looks like you make a great pizza. lets coordinate a sunday that dave and i can visit you. the end of march is possible after the pizza expo in vegas thanks, larry

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
Hi walter for me a sunday would be the best day to take off. i would love to get a hands on lesson in the art of NY pizza. from you pictures and knowledge it looks like you make a great pizza. lets coordinate a sunday that dave and i can visit you. the end of march is possible after the pizza expo in vegas thanks, larry

Larry:  I am moved you would come so far to check out our set up because you are an accomplished and successful pizza maker and we are just a small time operation :)  I can make a bunch of dough balls and we can go from there.  I am available pretty much any Sunday.  I live only a few miles from the school and we have a detached recording studio on our property. It has a bed and full bath.  You are welcome to stay there if you don't want to drive back home (I am not sure how far you are from Newark). 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
looks like you 2.5 hours away. just did a 1 day cincinnati trip to pick up a backup  dough machine so i can get a early start spend the day and get home whenever!!!!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »
looks like you 2.5 hours away. just did a 1 day cincinnati trip to pick up a backup  dough machine so i can get a early start spend the day and get home whenever!!!!

Larry:  You are welcome to spend the night if you like. 2.5 hours for a Californian or Texan is like a 2 minute drive.  For a NJ native it is like a days drive........  I am not sure what it is for an Ohian.   What kind of mixer did you buy?  Walter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
 stephan vertical cutter. i have used a vcm to make dough since my hobart broke 30 years ago. i keep a back up in case this one goes out!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »
Larry:  I never used either of those mixers.  It has been spiral all my life.   Walter