Author Topic: tossing a pie  (Read 1828 times)

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: tossing a pie
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »
May I ask Walter and Scott a quick one?  What do you believe is the best "cold fermentation temperature?"  ... I think my home fridge is too cold at around 34 to 35 degrees F.

I am still learning on the cold ferment thing so my answer should not  be taken as gospel>  I started using it since joining thi forum but had been doing it with breads prior to here.  Our fridge that is pretty much dedicated to dough is a True commercial model.  It cycles.  When it hits like 38 it turns on down to about 33 and turns off.  I find this temp range to be great for our dough needs.  It is a puzzle though to get it all right- what is your dough temp when going in, how much yeast have you used, what is the fridge temp and is it opened/closed alot which will keep the temp high.   The board of health inspector tests the temp of the air in the fridge and the temp of the products as well.  I think 40 degrees is the warmest food can be.  Walter
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:35:52 PM by waltertore »

scott123

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »
Dave, the thermostats in fridges, much like ovens, are constantly cycling the cooling on and off, typically resulting in a range of temps.  At least, that's how older fridges tend to work. I'm not sure if new technology has brought about more stable temps in fridges.

I bring this up because, while 34 and 35 are perfectly fine, it's pretty close to 32, and if your dough freezes, that would be very bad. As long as you're hitting a stable 34-35, and never dipping below that, then you're in good shape.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Thanks for that info gents, it helps.  The need to have the food in a commercial fridge never above 40 degrees likely means the walk in coolers are cycling in the 38 to 36 degree air temperature range as Scott said... so we should be good.  I adjusted the thermostat a year ago to remove the light freezing we were seeing in the back corners.

pizzapan