Author Topic: Price increase-what an experience  (Read 1797 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Price increase-what an experience
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
Made it through 2 out of the 3 lunch periods.  Sales are normal, people are paying $1.50 without being asked, and not a single complaint.  I guess I learned I have to let people blow steam when presenting a price increase :chef:  walter

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
A short price increase story from another entrepreneur... When I started consulting, Company A went to Company B for help.  Company B came to me as a consultant.  I prepared my technical and business proposal with rates.  Company B told me my rates were too low.  I  ;D  They told me to double them!   :o  I thought that's the end of getting that job... Company A said the proposal was too high and asked for a 3% reduction!!  We countered with 2% and that contract ran for 5 years!   ;D ;D I learned a lot that day...

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Big moose
Ive found that increasing prices is the most sensitive issues with owners.  IF your food is good,your portions fair, price increase  are 99% never a problem.  I think this is because those owners who worry about increasing prices are USUALLY the same guys who vastly under price their menu items.  Prices are important, but you USUALLY only lose those customers who are bargain hunters.....and  IF you run a top notch place, MOST of your customers APPRECIATE your WHOLE establishment and don't shop by price.
Sure, some do, and they leave and they will NEVER be an important part of your patronage.  NOT every customer is EQUAL in importance.  All you have to do to appreciate this is run one of those coupon deals.   You'll see coupon couples ONCE.....and then never again, UNTIL your dumb enough to run them again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:24:53 PM by gabaghool »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »
Our first week of price increases have gone great.  We actually are selling more slices and pies than last week at the lower prices.  The recent front page story done on us has made a noticable increase and these are first time customers who were all smiles at our prices.  The ones that complained have come back and many others have said that the new prices are still the best deal in town.  Once again I learned the same old lesson-trust my heart blindly and turn the head off. Like they said in the movie The Blues Brothers- "I am on a misson from God", so am I and it has never let me down.  I got to keep the faith this is a cause people want to support.    A couple called us today and wanted  80 pizzas for their wedding.  It is on a Saturday thank god............   and we don't work Saturdays.  That many in a short run would push us beyond our capabilities.   Walter

Big Moose: My brain got twisted reading your journey with pricing ???

gabaghool:  I am with you on buy one get one free.  Sell a good product with no gimmicks and people will come!  Most of the coupon places sell pretty low end food and attract that kind of eater.   We have had to fight so many obstacles to get our name out- locked facility, high school campus, special needs students making products, no direct phone line, no delivery, only open school days/hours, off summer, xmas break spring break, weekends, thanksgiving...., and no advertising.   I feel like we are over it all an becoming a known food place in this area and future price increases will be taken in stride. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:00:09 PM by waltertore »

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
Walter,

I can definitely empathize with your aggravation associated with price increases, especially with all you do and have done at your school. Maybe when you hear people complaining of the increase you can remind them of the quality pizzas you are putting out, but also remind them that it is for the good of the school and your program, and if that doesn't work tell them if they cut out or downsize one of their 4-a-day Sbucks Mucho Grande Frapicoffee Lattes the pizza increase might not hit them so hard. I'm sure deep down they know the quality you serve but for some reason many people just feel better when they complain.

John

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
Walter,

I can definitely empathize with your aggravation associated with price increases, especially with all you do and have done at your school. Maybe when you hear people complaining of the increase you can remind them of the quality pizzas you are putting out, but also remind them that it is for the good of the school and your program, and if that doesn't work tell them if they cut out or downsize one of their 4-a-day Sbucks Mucho Grande Frapicoffee Lattes the pizza increase might not hit them so hard. I'm sure deep down they know the quality you serve but for some reason many people just feel better when they complain.

John

John:  Thanks for that support!  Actually there wasn't a complaint this week and our business has near doubled due to a front page article on us in the Newark Advocate and Granville Sentinel.  I see you live in Columbus.  Come on by sometime.  If you want to make pizzas we could meet on a weekend as well.  Walter

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »

Sounds good Walter, actually I'm in Pickerington so we are almost neighbors, anyway, I would enjoy seeing your kitchen sometime, from what I have seen and heard you have a set up that all of us pizza geeks can only dream of.  I was surfing posts a little while back and saw that you held the First Annual Newark Pizza Summit at your school. I was bummed that I missed it, from pics it looks like it was an awesome time. I'll definitely be watching for the next one.

John