Author Topic: Anyone ever tried Cedar Valley Mozzarella made in WI from RD?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Anyone ever tried Cedar Valley Mozzarella made in WI from RD?
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
They have blocks at RD at $2.50lb and was wondering.  There store in WI has excellent reviews.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:57:53 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Re: Anyone ever tried Cedar Valley Mozzarella made in WI from RD?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
I see this cheese avaiable at my local Restaurant supplier too, I'm thinking of trying it as a comparison to the Grande. Another one that is available is casa bianca. I will probably try that as well, but most places around here use Grande. its just what is avaiable in this area, although Calabro isnt far I cant find a place that carries it that sells to the public.
if you try it post some feedback

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »
I'll pick some up on my next trip to RD.  It comes in 6lb loafs.  Website says award winning so we will see.

Nate

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »
Well I tried the Cedar Valley WM mozzarella cheese, as I was grating it I could smell that buttery popcorn smell that a few guys described in other threads. It melted great but sadly, it was Very SALTY. I paid 2.89/lb for it which seemed like a bargain because the Grande cheese price was up to 3.99/lb! Which is a dollar more per pound than I paid 2 weeks ago.
So, if you like Salty cheese the Cedar Valley might be a winner for you, but for me...I will pay the extra money for the Grande unti I find something better, now what to do with 5 pounds of Salty cheese?  :-\
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:16:49 AM by Pastaking »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
Well I tried the Cedar Valley WM mozzarella cheese, as I was grating it I could smell that buttery popcorn smell that a few guys described in other threads. It melted great but sadly, it was Very SALTY. I paid 2.89/lb for it which seemed like a bargain because the Grande cheese price was up to 3.99/lb! Which is a dollar more per pound than I paid 2 weeks ago.
So, if you like Salty cheese the Cedar Valley might be a winner for you, but for me...I will pay the extra money for the Grande unti I find something better, now what to do with 5 pounds of Salty cheese?  :-\

Bummer.  Wonder if you got a bad batch of it perhaps as supposedly it has won Wisconsin awards.   I am picking up a loaf next week and will have a go with it.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
I see this cheese avaiable at my local Restaurant supplier too, I'm thinking of trying it as a comparison to the Grande. Another one that is available is casa bianca. I will probably try that as well, but most places around here use Grande. its just what is avaiable in this area, although Calabro isnt far I cant find a place that carries it that sells to the public.
if you try it post some feedback

Joe,

Try your local Whole Foods Market.  I get Calabro there.  Unfortunately they are only sold in 1/2 pound and 1 pound loaves.
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
I would hope I didn't get a bad batch and that their quality is consistent. But it could be why there is such a price difference between the Grande and the Cedar Valley. The guy where I bought said they sell more Grande than any other brand of cheese they carry. If you lived close by I would give you some to try out.

MaryAnn

I have checked a lot of places for Calabro  and even called the local distributor to see who they are selling it to but unfortunately no luck close by. I have a whole foods in Connecticut near me but never actually went there to see, I believe they have a different distributor so I will check it out.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:06:41 AM »
I would hope I didn't get a bad batch and that their quality is consistent. But it could be why there is such a price difference between the Grande and the Cedar Valley. The guy where I bought said they sell more Grande than any other brand of cheese they carry. If you lived close by I would give you some to try out.

MaryAnn

I have checked a lot of places for Calabro  and even called the local distributor to see who they are selling it to but unfortunately no luck close by. I have a whole foods in Connecticut near me but never actually went there to see, I believe they have a different distributor so I will check it out.

stop & shop in CT carries Calabro also

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
Thanks Deb, I will try there too.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
I found the Calabro today at stop and shop in Danbury, CT. Only problem is that it is very expensive there at $7/lb!  :o
I picked up a half pound to try, if I like it I will need to find a place that sells it wholesale to the public.
Whole foods didn't carry it or much of any mozzarella cheeses, however they did have the buffalo mozzarella.
Thanks

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:34:13 PM by Pastaking »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
I found the Calabro today at stop and shop in Danbury, CT. Only problem is that it is very expensive there at $7/lb!  :o
I picked up a half pound to try, if I like it I will need to find a place that sells it wholesale to the public.
Whole foods didn't carry it or much of any mozzarella cheeses, however they did have the buffalo mozzarella.
Thanks

My Whole Foods only has the 8 oz and 16 oz. and very expensive too.  I liked it very much although the new sauce I tried that same day overpowered the taste of Calabro on the pizza.  After I grated it, I tried some and it had a rich, creamy, buttery taste with a hint of salt.  I wish it came in larger loaves.
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
Well I found a place that carries the 5 lb blocks of the Calabro Cheese in my area, for those who are close to me it is Omaha Beef in Danbury,CT. open to the public Monday thru Saturday. Today the cost is $3.55/lb. So if I like the cheese I will be going there. by the way, he is the supplier of Calabro cheese for the Frank Pepe pizzeria in Danbury.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »
Well I found a place that carries the 5 lb blocks of the Calabro Cheese in my area, for those who are close to me it is Omaha Beef in Danbury,CT. open to the public Monday thru Saturday. Today the cost is $3.55/lb. So if I like the cheese I will be going there. by the way, he is the supplier of Calabro cheese for the Frank Pepe pizzeria in Danbury.

Nice find on the Calabro, Joe  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »
Thanks Mary Ann ... I'm sure I will like it...if Scott123 rates the Calabro a 9 and the Grande is a 5 it's probably a winner!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
Nice find!  i'm not that far from Danbury.  They will sell just one 5lb block?  Looking quick at their website it looked like full cases

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Nice find!  i'm not that far from Danbury.  They will sell just one 5lb block?  Looking quick at their website it looked like full cases

I just called them to make sure, they will sell a 5 pound block of the Calabro.  :D

Offline pythonic

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
I haven't tried the Calabro Mozz yet myself.  I believe my whole foods does carry it though.  What I really want to try though is the Calabro ricotta.  I hear it's the best you can buy.

Nate

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
Not a great cheese by any means.  You can buy it at Restaurant Depot as well as many cheese shops in Wisconsin.

Want to know where the real stuff is?  Makes grande look like chump cheese.

You have to drive to Chicago to get it, it is private label under the brand Flippi Mazzi, it is made by Roger Krohn's dairy in little chute wi, now owned by agropur but still run by roger.  This is Multi-year word champion cheese, roger is the mozzarella champ of the planet. Mozzarella freezes well, so you can cut it up and freeze for later.  Cut in blocks not shred then freeze.

You have to go to battaglia foods in Chicago which is a restaurant supply warehouse.  Go inside to the retail store and pay cash only.  They have the 6lb blocks in this area.

Check dates, it is usually too fresh, you want it to age 20-35 days, best at around 25. 

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Not a great cheese by any means.  You can buy it at Restaurant Depot as well as many cheese shops in Wisconsin.

Want to know where the real stuff is?  Makes grande look like chump cheese.

You have to drive to Chicago to get it, it is private label under the brand Flippi Mazzi, it is made by Roger Krohn's dairy in little chute wi, now owned by agropur but still run by roger.  This is Multi-year word champion cheese, roger is the mozzarella champ of the planet. Mozzarella freezes well, so you can cut it up and freeze for later.  Cut in blocks not shred then freeze.

You have to go to battaglia foods in Chicago which is a restaurant supply warehouse.  Go inside to the retail store and pay cash only.  They have the 6lb blocks in this area.

Check dates, it is usually too fresh, you want it to age 20-35 days, best at around 25.

what cheese were you referring to as not being so great by any means?

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
Cedar Valley

pizzapan