Author Topic: Anyone ever tried Cedar Valley Mozzarella made in WI from RD?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Re: Anyone ever tried Cedar Valley Mozzarella made in WI from RD?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Cedar Valley

I agree, it was very salty

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
Not a great cheese by any means.  You can buy it at Restaurant Depot as well as many cheese shops in Wisconsin.

Want to know where the real stuff is?  Makes grande look like chump cheese.

You have to drive to Chicago to get it, it is private label under the brand Flippi Mazzi, it is made by Roger Krohn's dairy in little chute wi, now owned by agropur but still run by roger.  This is Multi-year word champion cheese, roger is the mozzarella champ of the planet. Mozzarella freezes well, so you can cut it up and freeze for later.  Cut in blocks not shred then freeze.

You have to go to battaglia foods in Chicago which is a restaurant supply warehouse.  Go inside to the retail store and pay cash only.  They have the 6lb blocks in this area.

Check dates, it is usually too fresh, you want it to age 20-35 days, best at around 25.

Is it possible that it is the battaglia cheese I posted about?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
Not a great cheese by any means.  You can buy it at Restaurant Depot as well as many cheese shops in Wisconsin.

Want to know where the real stuff is?  Makes grande look like chump cheese.

You have to drive to Chicago to get it, it is private label under the brand Flippi Mazzi, it is made by Roger Krohn's dairy in little chute wi, now owned by agropur but still run by roger.  This is Multi-year word champion cheese, roger is the mozzarella champ of the planet. Mozzarella freezes well, so you can cut it up and freeze for later.  Cut in blocks not shred then freeze.

You have to go to battaglia foods in Chicago which is a restaurant supply warehouse.  Go inside to the retail store and pay cash only.  They have the 6lb blocks in this area.

Check dates, it is usually too fresh, you want it to age 20-35 days, best at around 25.

Crap.  Just bought 6lbs of the cedar valley.  Perhaps I should let it age as well?  I am okay with not great.

Pizzagarage:  How would you rate Italiano supremo?

How much is the Flippi Mazzi per lb?

Nate
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:03:55 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
Sorry!!  Maybe you will like it, who knows give it a try!

Supremo, nope, sorry, to me anyway, it's pretty bland and oils off as per my notes.

The Mazzi is about $2.25, just checked some bricks.  Those are about 3 weeks old, price might go up a little since then....

Offline pythonic

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »
Sorry!!  Maybe you will like it, who knows give it a try!

Supremo, nope, sorry, to me anyway, it's pretty bland and oils off as per my notes.

The Mazzi is about $2.25, just checked some bricks.  Those are about 3 weeks old, price might go up a little since then....

Wow.  The Supremo to me is better than anything I can buy at the store.  Flavor and melting.  Boars head, Polly O.

Do you live downtown or burbs?  Maybe I can pick up some of that Mazzi from you?  I hate driving downtown.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
I had the supremo only 1 time and I got is from restaurant depot, I took notes on the flavor and that's what is was like to me as per my notes.  Maybe I got a bad batch that is always possible....

I am over in Elmhurst, I have 1/2 brick left so not too much, and will be heading down next week or weekend.  I usually buy 4 bricks and freeze it.  I don't care for going downtown either, I just make sure it's during the day!!!

Offline caymus

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »
Well I found a place that carries the 5 lb blocks of the Calabro Cheese in my area, for those who are close to me it is Omaha Beef in Danbury,CT. open to the public Monday thru Saturday. Today the cost is $3.55/lb. So if I like the cheese I will be going there. by the way, he is the supplier of Calabro cheese for the Frank Pepe pizzeria in Danbury.

Do you know how far they are from a US 84 exit?  I travel through this area a few times per year

Thanks

Offline pythonic

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
Giving the Cedar Valley a try tonight.  Will post my review of how it goes.  I may do without the provolone tonight because of it's talked about saltiness.

Nate

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
Do you know how far they are from a US 84 exit?  I travel through this area a few times per year

Thanks

I just googled mapped it and looks to be about a  mile & 1/2

Follow I-84 to CT-37 S/North St in Danbury. Take exit 6 from I-84

Continue on CT-37 S/North St. Drive to Maple Ave
0.9 mi / 3 min

Turn left onto CT-37 S/North St
0.4 mi

Turn left onto Balmforth Ave
0.1 mi

Continue onto Maple Ave
 Destination will be on the left
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:22:25 PM by deb415611 »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
Giving the Cedar Valley a try tonight.  Will post my review of how it goes.  I may do without the provolone tonight because of it's talked about saltiness.

Nate

Tasted the cheese by itself and it is quite salty.  I may contact the maker and ask why.  HAHA.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
So I thought the Mozz was edible at least with some provolone but it could be rough by itself.  Would have to make a sweeter dough and sauce for that.  It does melt very nice though.

Nate

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
Lol, it does melt nice and has a nice buttery popcorn scent when grated, but it is so SALTY!  I think I am just going to toss it out. I tried mixing it with another cheese but the salt just overpowers it. Well at least I know it wasn't just me. Try the Calabro, you won't be disappointed.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
I just googled mapped it and looks to be about a  mile & 1/2

Follow I-84 to CT-37 S/North St in Danbury. Take exit 6 from I-84

Continue on CT-37 S/North St. Drive to Maple Ave
0.9 mi / 3 min

Turn left onto CT-37 S/North St
0.4 mi

Turn left onto Balmforth Ave
0.1 mi

Continue onto Maple Ave
 Destination will be on the left

Depending which way you are coming from...  exit 5 traveling east, exit 6 traveling west, it is a small place, no storefront, just a small office where you pay and get a hand written receipt. Best if you call ahead and let them know you are coming. Nice people.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »
Lol, it does melt nice and has a nice buttery popcorn scent when grated, but it is so SALTY!  I think I am just going to toss it out. I tried mixing it with another cheese but the salt just overpowers it. Well at least I know it wasn't just me. Try the Calabro, you won't be disappointed.

I'm gonna email the cheese maker and ask them why they want to ruin that cheese with all that salt.
I don't think the Calabro is available to me in the midwest.  Whole foods maybe.  I just don't like paying over $4/lb for cheese anymore.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »
I'm gonna email the cheese maker and ask them why they want to ruin that cheese with all that salt.
I don't think the Calabro is available to me in the midwest.  Whole foods maybe.  I just don't like paying over $4/lb for cheese anymore.

Let us know if you get a response from them. if they cut back the salt it probably could be a good cheese.

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
A local pizza operator in the Chicago area uses
25% Cedar Valley part skim
25% Cedar Valley Whole Milk
25% Filippo Mazzei part skim
25% Filippo Mazzei Whole Milk

Filippo Mazzei is sold only at a local distributor. I always wondered why they did that but maybe mixing two cheeses effectively reduces the salt content in his pizzas.