Author Topic: Best melty, stretchy type cheese for photogenic deep dish slice?  (Read 687 times)

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
Best melty, stretchy type cheese for photogenic deep dish slice?
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
Howdy everyone. Still working out my recipe for a great deep dish. Third try. Figured out the dough and char I like. Got past the sauce/tomato issue and "water bomb" problem. Loving my favorite sausage and other toppings. Made another pie this weekend which was nice and tight. CLEAN slices. Too clean. Came out of the pan like a piece of pumpkin pie. No water in the pan. No stretchy cheese. No stringy goodness. Nothing.

Nine inch pie, 8 oz low moisture, part skim mozz slices on bottom, sausage, onion and green pepper, sauteed mushrooms, sausage, 4 oz low moisture part skim provolone, tomatoes, pepperoni, 10 minutes at 475 and 30 minutes at 425. Ten minute rest before slicing. AWESOME taste and deep dish goodness but no stringy cheese action. Dry pie. One extreme to the other. Water bomb vs dry pie. Good color and 200 degree internal temp.

Did I use the wrong type of cheese or wrong amounts?

What'd I do wrong?

Help with cheese/ technique, please.

Cheers
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Online vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Best melty, stretchy type cheese for photogenic deep dish slice?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
Howdy everyone. Still working out my recipe for a great deep dish. Third try. Figured out the dough and char I like. Got past the sauce/tomato issue and "water bomb" problem. Loving my favorite sausage and other toppings. Made another pie this weekend which was nice and tight. CLEAN slices. Too clean. Came out of the pan like a piece of pumpkin pie. No water in the pan. No stretchy cheese. No stringy goodness. Nothing.

Nine inch pie, 8 oz low moisture, part skim mozz slices on bottom, sausage, onion and green pepper, sauteed mushrooms, sausage, 4 oz low moisture part skim provolone, tomatoes, pepperoni, 10 minutes at 475 and 30 minutes at 425. Ten minute rest before slicing. AWESOME taste and deep dish goodness but no stringy cheese action. Dry pie. One extreme to the other. Water bomb vs dry pie. Good color and 200 degree internal temp.

Did I use the wrong type of cheese or wrong amounts?

What'd I do wrong?

Help with cheese/ technique, please.

Cheers

Moisture is a delicate balancing act.
You want enough to keep the cheese melty, but not too much, so the rest of the pizza won't get soggy.

At first glance, it sounds like you overbaked it.
40 minutes is too long for a 9 inch deep dish.

Try between 450 and 465 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes, and don't forget to let the pizza rest for 5 minutes after you take it out.

Other things you can try:
add more cheese,
substitute some whole milk cheese for part or all of the part-skim.
leave a little more moisture in the tomatoes.

Please post some photos when you can.  :chef:

-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
How much dough are you using?  Some formulations on here are real bread bombs, so in order to cut down the casserole bake-time, you may need to thin out the crust a bit.

Different brands of cheese have different stretchiness, too.

I'd check with Aimless Ryan as to what brand he used to get these beauts:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25774.msg277131#msg277131

Cheers,
Garvey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:31:56 PM by Garvey »

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
Thanks for the input. My crust is quite thin, around 1/8 in on the bottom and paper thin on the sides. I tried my recipe again with whole milk mozz, part skim prov, and fresh mozz too. Cut the bake time to 25 minutes but that was too short and the bottom was not done and middle of pie was cool. Added 10 more minutes and got better temp. Nice stretchy cheese but back to the water bomb problem. Will keep trying with pix next time.

Cheers,

Mitch

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the input. My crust is quite thin, around 1/8 in on the bottom and paper thin on the sides. I tried my recipe again with whole milk mozz, part skim prov, and fresh mozz too. Cut the bake time to 25 minutes but that was too short and the bottom was not done and middle of pie was cool. Added 10 more minutes and got better temp. Nice stretchy cheese but back to the water bomb problem. Will keep trying with pix next time.

Cheers,

Mitch
The stretchy came from the whole milk mozz and the water bomb came from the fresh mozz. Try a 50/50 of W/M mozz and Provolone....I think you'll like that slag.  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the input. I will try again without the fresh mozz. I do think it added too much moisture. Will also try the shorter bake with a more moderate temp also. promise pix next time.

Cheers,
Mitch

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
check the BTB thread I did one a ways back and was yummy cheesy photo y  :-D
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8094.0.html
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
Very nice looking pies, man! Thanks for the tip to the thread. Curious as to what the semolina does for the crust. Never tried that before. I'm going to try again this w/e and will try to post pix. All help, suggestions, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

Cheers,

Mitch