Author Topic: raises in costs + new technologies = less entry level employment  (Read 874 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
raises in costs + new technologies = less entry level employment
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
Interesting article from Jonah Goldberg
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/365606/minimum-wage-and-rise-machines-jonah-goldberg

Yes, numbers mean things.
John

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: raises in costs + new technologies = less entry level employment
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »
You have to read the above article first... then my story below will be in context.

A long time ago, when I was a young man in 1976 I was flying on my first business trip, with an oriental gentleman from the far east in the seat next to me.  We started up a conversation that carried on over the many hours of the journey.  As we got to know each other, he confided in me with what is apparently turning out to be a prophecy.

He said: "The undoing of your western culture will be your constant quest for efficiency.  There needs to be jobs for the average, and below par members of your society.  You are constantly finding more efficient ways to do their work with automation.  You will eventually have an extremely large part of your population unemployed and unemployable.  They will be clustered in cities.  You will eventually legalize drugs in order to keep them subdued and sidelined.  This will not end well for you..."

I have told this story many times over the years.  It actually happened.  Over the last 6 or 7 years, unemployment has ballooned, and now just recently one type of recreational drug has been legalized in a few states...

Where will this all lead?  IMHO people need the satisfaction and meaning of work that contributes to the good of all.  Perhaps I am old and old fashioned, but the banter with a waitress or waiter is a thing I look forward to.  Punching buttons on an ipad and having a robotized serving tray come to my table is not my cup of tea.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »
I agree.  In my world, every bum on a corner is holding a rake and a broom not a cardboard sign and that is HIS/HER corner, and they keep it clean and even make it beautiful.  For that, they get paid.  Every person works, no matter how easy or, in the view of the efficient, redundant their particular job may be.  An honest days work makes for a better person, and when everyone is working it makes for a better society. 

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »

He said: "The undoing of your western culture will be your constant quest for efficiency.  There needs to be jobs for the average, and below par members of your society.  You are constantly finding more efficient ways to do their work with automation.  You will eventually have an extremely large part of your population unemployed and unemployable.  They will be clustered in cities.  You will eventually legalize drugs in order to keep them subdued and sidelined.  This will not end well for you..."

Interesting, but I don't know that  I agree.  The race is on to increase our standards of living just to keep up in the world.  And it was Japan who put the US in it's place with their quality in the 70's.  Since then it was the manufacturing breakthroughs which have lead to shorter lead times, quicker product engineering, customization of products, zero defects etc. which at least keep us in the race.

As for the damage to our entry level jobs, I fear that the politics of equalization will be the undoing of America as we know it.  Just my opinion of course.  And as you mention that a couple states have legalized marijuana, I'm in one....Washington.....not only do we also have the highest minimum wage in the nation  (and it goes up each year), there are those trying to pass legislation mandating sick leave as well as vacation for part time labor.  We surly live in interesting times!!
John

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
You have to read the above article first... then my story below will be in context.

A long time ago, when I was a young man in 1976 I was flying on my first business trip, with an oriental gentleman from the far east in the seat next to me.  We started up a conversation that carried on over the many hours of the journey.  As we got to know each other, he confided in me with what is apparently turning out to be a prophecy.

I have told this story many times over the years.  It actually happened.  Over the last 6 or 7 years, unemployment has ballooned, and now just recently one type of recreational drug has been legalized in a few states...

Where will this all lead?  IMHO people need the satisfaction and meaning of work that contributes to the good of all.  Perhaps I am old and old fashioned, but the banter with a waitress or waiter is a thing I look forward to.  Punching buttons on an ipad and having a robotized serving tray come to my table is not my cup of tea.

wow.....great story....and so true......you have GOT to evolve.....or you get left at the side of the road.....a civilizations version of survival of the fittest.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:23:29 PM by gabaghool »

pizzapan