Author Topic: Bacio Cheese Co. = Leprino Foods  (Read 917 times)

Offline Zing

Bacio Cheese Co. = Leprino Foods
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »
You read it here first, folks. I thought Bacio Cheese Co. was set up by PFG/Vistar/Roma Foods, but a trademark search shows Leprino Foods owns the trademark. And Leprino does have a few stinkin' big cheese plants in the San Joaquin Valley. USDA plant numbers, the whole nine yards, totally legit.

I can't get any, except by possibly going down to North Carolina, where PFG owns some cash and carry's. PFG/Vistar/Roma Food is the exclusive distributor.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Bacio Cheese Co. = Leprino Foods
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
You read it here first, folks. I thought Bacio Cheese Co. was set up by PFG/Vistar/Roma Foods, but a trademark search shows Leprino Foods owns the trademark. And Leprino does have a few stinkin' big cheese plants in the San Joaquin Valley. USDA plant numbers, the whole nine yards, totally legit.

I can't get any, except by possibly going down to North Carolina, where PFG owns some cash and carry's. PFG/Vistar/Roma Food is the exclusive distributor.
Where at in NC Zing?   I see a Vistar in Greensboro,NC. but their site does not show Bacio cheese.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zing

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »
I got the lead in this recent thread started by Hobbs:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29728.0

I gather he went to the Chefsmart in Winston-Salem:

http://www.ifhchefsmart.com/

IFH ChefSmart
557 S. Stratford Rd
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

I am preparing a review of the cash and carry owned by US Foods in Charlotte, NC and will post as time permits.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:10:05 PM by Zing »

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
Hi,

Yes I live Winston Salem and the cash n carry here is Chefsmart on Stratford.

I have used a few bags of Bacio and I find it to be highly disappointing. It has next to no flavor.

I really wish I could detangle PFG's web of cheeses....I would assume (as I am sure you do at this point as well) it's all made by cheese giant Leprino to varying spec.

Cool story though. I was able to furnish a few sample loaves from the area manager since the manager at Chefsmart was not too keen on working with me and didn't want to break down a case of their other lines. (Only cheeses (mozz) they order are Luigi loaves (WM/PS), Assoluti WM shredded and Bacio WM shredded)

He was kind enough to supply me with A 6lb loaf of each Roma Super Deluxe, Original and a 5lb block of Formaggio Premiato.

the Roma cheese BLOWS Bacio away in nearly every characteristic. Just my $.02

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:54:11 PM by Hobbs »

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the list of cheeses sold at the cash and carry in Winston-Salem. It is similar to what US Foods is selling at the Chef's Mart in Charlotte, NC - mostly house-brand Roseli cheese with some name-brand Stella (still can't find my notes from that visit) IIRC.

I think the roadmap to PFG's web of cheese brands is that page from the Roma website:
http://romafood.com/Products/Pages/CheeseBrands.aspx

and this sheet about the Northland house-branded products:
http://performancefoodservice.com/Our-Products/Custom-Solutions/Cheese-Processing.aspx

I once copied some names from scuttlebutt about where PFG was getting their cheese from. Some of names bandied about were Saputo, Davisco (which would be the Lake Norden Cheese Company):
http://www.daviscofoods.com/locations/about-lake-norden-cheese.html
Leprino, and from various smaller cheese companies.

I suspect they are buying from multiple cheese companies, especially from those industrial cheese companies who are not a household name and whose cheese is not sold under a brand name but will be sliced and wrapped by some other firm.

In this scenario, we don't gain much even if we knew the real producer of each cheese product was. We wouldn't be able to buy from most of these firms, anyway.

The best we can do is compile the reviews people published about individual PFG house-brand cheeses. It does make sense that if one of PFG's private label brands was made by the likes of Lake Norden Cheese or the DCI Cheese division of Saputo:
http://www.dcicheeseco.com/media-room/saputo-products-win-four-awards-wisconsin-state-fair
that it would be better than a Leprino product.

Then there is the matter of the chutzpah in marketing Bacio Cheese. If you go to the Google home page and type
site:linkedin.com Bacio Cheese
in the search box you will get a lot of hits to people who claim they are affiliated with the Bacio Cheese Co., or the names are on the right of page, which only means visitors to that page also looked at the profiles of persons affiliated with Bacio Cheese Company. I guess these folks are like the area manager who gave you samples of Roma cheese; people paid to promote PFG's house brand cheeses to restaurateurs.

All of the resentment stems from the fact that PFG will not make all of their cheese brands easily available to cooking enthusiasts.

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
I agree about the resentment in PFG not allowing easy access to their brands. I had to go through hoops.

But, while at first I was a little put off when I found out Lerprino manufactured much of their private label cheese, if I remember correctly...Con Agra grows and processes King Arthurs flours. To be fair, the three types of ROMA cheese I have tried have varied in flavor and characteristics significantly. And the SL flour I buy is clearly high quality and behaves much differently than any other HG flour (when I do decide to use it, that is..not my first choice). So there has to be some rigorous adherence to specifications for each client. Consolidation of the markets is just a a sign of the times and a cross some folks like us seem to have to bear when there are very few alternative avenues.

pizzapan