Author Topic: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil  (Read 4855 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Whoa Mama.  Move over corn oil, crisco is king.  Look at the flakiness (where I pushed in that hole) Totally different crust texture.  You have to try this.  Mixing process is key too.

For 9 inch pan:

Ceresota AP - 95% - 175g
Semolina - 5% - 10g
Water - 46% - 85g
Corn Oil - 19% - 35g
Olive Oil- 4% - 7g
Salt - less than 1/8 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
IDY - 1/4 tsp

Process coming soon.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:07:42 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: Tonight's Lou. Used butter flavored crisco in the pan
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
Please post the process soon!  I want to make this one of the next few nights

Thx!

Offline pythonic

Re: Tonight's Lou. Used butter flavored crisco in the pan
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Please post the process soon!  I want to make this one of the next few nights

Thx!

Here is the process.   I use a bowl, whisk for dry ingredients and a spoon.   Mix all dry ingredients minus the yeast.  Add oil and mix in halfway with spoon then add in the water.  Mix half way again and next sprinkle in the yeast.  Mix again with your spoon until it all comes together.  Then you need to hand mix it gently for about 1.5-2 mins (I use one hand for this).  You want to make sure you get most of the clumps of oil incorporated into the dough.  After your done cover and put into oven with the light on for 5hrs.

Add butter flavored crisco to pan.  I went all the way up the sides.  Place stone on 2nd rack and preheat to 425.  Preheat stone for additional 45 mins. 

Place dough in pan and press it out.  I only went 1 inch up side of my 2 inch pan.  This is important because the thinner you make it the harder it gets.  I believe mine to be the sweet spot as for thickness.

Increase temp to 450F and bake for 28 mins.  I put foil on top with about 10 to go to prevent cheese burning and removed foil for final 3 mins.

For cheese I used Pecorino Romano and whole milk Mozz on bottom and then parm on top.  For Tomatoes I used Alta Cucina Plum which I think are almost identical to Malnatis tomatoe flavor.

Hint:   The crust gets better as it cools down.  I remove from pan after 5 mins and then wait another 10 mins before I cut it.

Nate
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:01:07 PM by pythonic »

Offline Musky

Re: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
I've always used butter flavored Crisco for Lou clone deep dish.  Makes a Sicilian good, too.

Kevin

Offline rapidsgrand

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
Great looking crust. How many ounces of cheese and sauce do you put on a 9"?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
Great looking crust. How many ounces of cheese and sauce do you put on a 9"?

8oz cheese, sauce varies how much u like.  I go very light.  The key for sauce is to use nice chunks of tomato and drain them thoroughly before applying.  If there is a little liquid keep in in the center of the pizza.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:48:38 PM by pythonic »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Looks really good.

What is the reasoning for adding in oil before water?  I've seen people talk about it before so curious what it provides..

Offline pythonic

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
Looks really good.

What is the reasoning for adding in oil before water?  I've seen people talk about it before so curious what it provides..

Helps to achieve flaking in the crust.  The flour absorbs the oil instead of all the water and the water steams off in hot oven creating those flakes/layers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:55:21 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
Tonight's pie.  1st 24hr cold rise I've done with any Malnatis dough.  Dough flavor was definitely better but it altered the texture.  The crust didn't get as flaky from the crisco.  It also tasted a little heavier/light breadiness.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »
Crazy good, right there.  Thanks for posting the method.
Dave

Offline loumalunogino312

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
I've been lurking and after trying recipes that measured by volume, I finally broke down and got a nice digital scale. This is the first recipe I've tried and it was awesome! Thank you for sharing the method of mixing as well. I think it made a difference.   The only thing I have to do now is track down a suitable sausage and tweak the sauce a bit. I've been trying for years to make a good deep dish and this was the best yet.

Offline prophecy

• Slice and Dice
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
Mother of God....

I now have a new avenue to explore in pizza making now that I see those pics :drool:

Offline pythonic

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
I've been lurking and after trying recipes that measured by volume, I finally broke down and got a nice digital scale. This is the first recipe I've tried and it was awesome! Thank you for sharing the method of mixing as well. I think it made a difference.   The only thing I have to do now is track down a suitable sausage and tweak the sauce a bit. I've been trying for years to make a good deep dish and this was the best yet.

Glad u liked it.  Here is the sausage recipe most of us use around here.  Best I've ever made.

http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/juicy-sweet-or-hot-italian-sausage.html

What are u using for your sauce?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
Mother of God....

I now have a new avenue to explore in pizza making now that I see those pics :drool:

:D

You're about to enter the world of fantastic eats!

Nate

Offline loumalunogino312

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:53 AM »
Glad u liked it.  Here is the sausage recipe most of us use around here.  Best I've ever made.

http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/juicy-sweet-or-hot-italian-sausage.html

What are u using for your sauce?
Well looks like I'll be buying a meat grinder next lol. I got the sausage from Trader Joe's and although it was a tasty sausage it wasn't quite right. Thanks for the recipe!

For the sauce I used Muir Glen crushed tomato with basil. I added more fresh basil, a couple cloves of garlic and some salt to taste. I also added a pinch of sugar because on my last try, the tomatoes (same brand) were really acidic. The sugar helped a lot with that. The sauce was really close as far as my taste buds were concerned but something is missing.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:55 AM »
Well looks like I'll be buying a meat grinder next lol.

You can buy ground pork and do it that way.  Just make sure it's not too lean.  80/20 stuff works fine.

The mobile version of that recipe lacks the "note" that tells how to do it with already ground pork.  The way you do it is to do steps 1 and 3 only.  My version of this recipe has a slightly different formulation, but the procedure is the same and is based on this recipe from Kenji.

HTH,
Garvey
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:10:30 AM by Garvey »

Offline waynesize

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
Gotta make one of these this weekend!  :drool:

Wayne

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
If you can find ground pork that is fattier than 80/20 it works even better. I go to the asian market here for that.

Offline loumalunogino312

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 01:13:22 AM »
Wow, thanks Garvey! Yes that helps a lot!

And thanks for the tip dmckean. I don't have any Asian markets nearby  but I have a few butchers by me...maybe they have something similar available.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
I made this pie last night as one of 5 styles for 8 guests.  It was a complete home run!  It was my first Deep Dish attempt, so the recipe must be pretty bullet proof.  I used the recipe in the first post.  I will only note the differences in process.

I prepared a double batch of the dough in my KA with the flat beater bar.  All dry ingredients in the bowl (used AP flour).  IDY dissolved in warm water.  KA on speed one and two.  I drizzled the oil mixture down the side of the bowl.  The KA picked it up and the flour became like lumped cornmeal.  I then drizzled the water onto the flour as the KA ran.  The dough came together perfectly.  I then hand kneaded it for a minute or so.  I let it room rise in a warm kitchen (mid 70's) for around 5 hours in a covered plastic storage container.  It more than doubled in that time and took the lid off the container.

I divided the dough, Butter Crisco'd the 9in pan and pressed the dough out and in the pan.  Some parts of the bottom seemed thin but were ok when baked.  I ran the dough all the way up the 2 inch sides.

Internals were shredded  Supremo Italiano Prov/Motz blend, home made fennel sausage, Mama Isabella's pepperoni a few red onion slices and some Jalapeno pepper slices.  Sauce was about 18 to 20 oz of 6in1.  The 28 oz 6in1 received 1/2 tsp of basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp sugar.

Baking was in a preheated 450 degree oven for a total of 33 minutes.  First 10 minutes on a screen on my stone.  Then to the top rack as another pizza went on the stone.  With about 13 minutes to go I draped tin foil over the top of the pie to prevent excessive browning of the crust.

After removal from the oven I let it sit for 10 minutes.  It cut perfectly.  No excessive water.  I removed the perfect first slice... then dropped it.  Pix below.

My guests comments were: "flakey, like a biscuit,  this is perfect!"

My thanks to pythonic for this recipe and work flow.  This is a winner.  I have my "go to" deep dish recipe.

BTW, as an experiment I used the other part of the dough to make a normal "flat" pizza.  I baked it on the stone at 500 degrees.  It was terrible.  The pizza was waterlogged and the crust soggy, saggy and a mess.