Author Topic: Please Critique my Latest Pies!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
Please Critique my Latest Pies!
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
Hi everybody! This is my first post outside of the intro section and I'd like to see if I could get some critiques on my latest pies. I feel these were the best pizzas I've made to date with a ton of help from the resources on this site and I need to keep getting better. I'm currently limited to a few things like stone size and oven temps so I'm making the best of what I can use for now. I had a few folks over for pizzas last night and was very happy with how it all turned out... the winner being a caramelized onion/portobello/prosciutto pie sprinkled with a bit of asiago cheese shown below.

My target was 3 NY style pizzas, each 13". I used the sauce recipe from J. Kenji Lopez and Tom Lehmann's NYC Style pizza crust recipe:

Flour (100%):    756.19 g  |  26.67 oz | 1.67 lbs  GM Better for Bread
Water (62%):    468.84 g  |  16.54 oz | 1.03 lbs 
IDY (.5%):    3.78 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.26 tsp | 0.42 tbsp 
Salt (2%):    15.12 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.15 tsp | 1.05 tbsp 
Oil (2%):    15.12 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.36 tsp | 1.12 tbsp 
Sugar (1%):    7.56 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.9 tsp | 0.63 tbsp 
Total (167.5%):   1266.61 g | 44.68 oz | 2.79 lbs | TF = 0.1122
Single Ball:   422.2 g | 14.89 oz | 0.93 lbs

For prep, I added my water (75*F), salt, and sugar to the pre-warmed mixing bowl (I'm using a Kitchen Aid mixer) and whisked for 30 sec. Then added my IDY to the flour and added both the bowl. Mixed on speed-2 for 2 minutes using the dough hook, let rest for 5 minutes, added oil and continued to mix for 8 minutes. the dough was extremely easy to work with as I'm used to overly wet sticky dough and plenty of cussing on my old recipes, this balled up VERY nicely. I placed the dough in oiled and sealed tupperware containers and then right into the fridge for 48 hours.

I removed the dough 3 hours prior to cooking while preheating a 13"dia x 1/4 stone at 500*F convection at the middle rack position for an hour. I stretched/tossed the dough to about 14+ inches and had to reposition to the size of my peel approx. 13". Bake time was about 8 minutes each then cooled on a rack.

My own personal critiques - I'm not getting the good leopard spot chars like I've seen others achieve and I'm guessing it has to do with my cooking and oven temp. The gas oven maxes out at 525*F or 500*F on convection. The crust tasted fantastic though! I'm also looking at investing in a baking steel or larger and thicker baking stones. Second, 13" makes tiny slices for NY style but I'm working on getting a larger cooking surface. Lastly, I think I'm using a bit too much flour when launching the pizzas into the oven as the slices seemed a bit too dusty for my taste but none got stuck so it was a fair trade. Sorry if this was a bit long... Thanks for taking a look! :)

Matt

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:42:09 PM by scupbucket »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Please Critique my Latest Pies!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:38 AM »
Looks like you got it down pat!!! :drool:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
Matt,

I'd say that you did very well, in just about all respects. However, the thickness factor you used is high for a NY style. More typical is around 0.08, although some don't mind--and even prefer--to go to about 0.10-0.105.

Leoparding is a creature of doughs made to be baked in very hot ovens, much hotter than a standard unmodified home oven. Also, the flours best suited for that style (what we call Neapolitan style on the forum) are 00 flours.

You are doing fine and your results should continue to improve with practice and experience.

Peter

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Trinity and Peter. I do really want to try and make a bigger pie and reduce the thickness. I’ve been reading up on the possibility of using a screen in combo with a stone. Would it be as simple as do the first half of the bake on a 15” screen (that’s about all I would be able to fit in the oven) and then move it to the stone for the remainder of the bake time?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
scupbucket,

Yes, it is possible in the context of a standard home oven (mine is electric) to use both a stone and a screen. Some years ago, I composed a post (which I periodically update) that discusses various ways of baking pizzas, such as a NY style, in a home oven. That post is Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg20965#msg20965. Since that post, there have been newer ways of using a home oven to make the NY style, such as using steel plates. That option is discussed elsewhere in several places on the forum.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Trinity and Peter. I do really want to try and make a bigger pie and reduce the thickness. I’ve been reading up on the possibility of using a screen in combo with a stone. Would it be as simple as do the first half of the bake on a 15” screen (that’s about all I would be able to fit in the oven) and then move it to the stone for the remainder of the bake time?
Bake with the screen on the stone...jerk the screen out after "X" minutes.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
What's the recipe for the J. Kenji Lopez pizza sauce?  Thanks!

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
Dwight

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
Yes, it is possible in the context of a standard home oven (mine is electric) to use both a stone and a screen. Some years ago, I composed a post (which I periodically update) that discusses various ways of baking pizzas, such as a NY style, in a home oven.

Bake with the screen on the stone...jerk the screen out after "X" minutes.

Bob

Thanks guys. I tried a few screen/stone combos. Started off ok but something is up with my oven… I can't switch over to the broiler from bake unless I open the door and let it cool a bit. Safety feature?

Long story short, I ended up with a 15” crispy pizza bagel. I should have taken a pic and posted it in the thread of shame. –pleh-  I'll giver it another shot next run and post pics.

I also need to work on my dough more (a LOT more). I tried to replicate my last recipe verbatim but this batch was a bit difficult to work with. This batch fermented much faster than the last and I think it’s due to the fact that I warmed up my mixing bowl and hook before kneading. Would this have an effect on final dough temp making the yeast a bit too active? This latest batch looked like it was ready in 24 hours as opposed to the previous 48. I think I had better luck using colder water. It was much more manageable as well. Trial and error…

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

?

Yep... that’s the very sauce recipe I used. I like the heavy garlic flavor and the butter does make it more rich but I need to introduce myself to different uncooked NY style sauces too. baby steps...

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:26 PM »
I agree, they are a little too thick for traditional style NY. For reference I use a 420g dough ball for a 16" pizza.

When making your dough try and keep all your variables the same and when experimenting, only change 1 at a time. Its unlikely that being off a few degree's of bowl temp would have that big of an impact on the yeast. Now different water temps, that would cause some problems. You need to balance the amount of yeast you use to the temps you are attaining in your dough. The hotter the temp the less yeast you need to use (generally). I think there is a table somewhere about how much yeast you need at certain temps. I personally like to room temp water and IDY yeast. I just fill a gallon jug with water and keep it on my counter so its always available for making dough.

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »
All great recommendations everybody! For the last few weeks I've made a few tweaks and made a lot of adjustments. First and foremost, I bought a big ol bag of All Trumps which is wonderful to work with. I reduced the hydration to 60% and used room temp H20 (nice simple idea Surf!). I invested in a baking steel and bake at 525*F convection for 6 minutes on the screen and an additional 2 minutes on the steel... I think I found a good balance to get the crust to the crunch/chew ratio I've been looking for. Using the screen has definitely made it easier to stretch the dough to get a nice and thin 16" pie and using a 2:1 blend of cornmeal and flour while stretching/tossing has eliminated the "dusty" crust problem! :) Finally, I used an uncooked sauce recipe that I like much better than my previous version... I'll try and replicate this one again and post more results and try some different toppings!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:19:35 AM by scupbucket »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
That is a major improvement from your first pictures, nice job. Now if you can eliminate the screen altogether, you'll have made it to the top!

Josh

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
That is a major improvement from your first pictures, nice job. Now if you can eliminate the screen altogether, you'll have made it to the top!

I agree, those are some awesome looking pizza's and lose the screen. Great job!

Only other recommendation to try is to lose the cornmeal and switch to a 50/50 blend of 00 flour and semolina flour for dusting your peel. It doesn't burn near as much as the cornmeal does. I used to use the same blend and switching made a big difference for me. 

pizzapan