Author Topic: Suggestions for sauce...  (Read 3365 times)

Offline wvpizzaman

• I Love Pizza!
Suggestions for sauce...
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:52:34 PM »
I've spent the last few years reading the board religiously trying to perfect my NY style crust.  After being very critical of my crust for years I'm finally reaching a point that I'm quite proud of it, thanks a great deal to each of you.  So now I'm starting to turn my focus to my sauce.  I just ordered 6 in 1 cans from PennMac and I wondered if some of you could share your sauce recipes.  I've searched the board for recipes but nothing jumped out at me, perhaps a thread on sauce recipes would be a good idea?

Again a big thanks to all of you for your help over the years!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:31:01 PM by wvpizzaman »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Suggestions for sauce...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:57:04 PM »
wvpizzaman,

Your question is one of the hardest of all to answer because the answer turns on matters of personal taste. It might help if you identify the characteristics and flavors you are looking for. When I use the 6-in-1s on a NY style pizza, I use them right out of the can with dried oregano or a pizza seasoning, and sometimes garlic, grated Romano and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and a few red pepper flakes. Others use sugar, a broader variety of herbs and seasonings, onions and peppers. Some prefer a cooked sauce with strong, robust flavors, with wine, balsamic vinegar and the like.

If you haven't already done so, you may wish to look at the Sauce Ingredients section of the board. Just about every question that has been asked about pizza sauce is covered there. Ultimately it will come down to your trying out different combinations of ingredients to find the one that best satisfies your tastebuds. Knowing what you are looking for may help others identify sauces or recipes for you to consider, especially since recipes tend to be scattered throughout the board under pizza styles and elsewhere.

Peter

Offline wvpizzaman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »
wvpizzaman,

Your question is one of the hardest of all to answer because the answer turns on matters of personal taste. It might help if you identify the characteristics and flavors you are looking for. When I use the 6-in-1s on a NY style pizza, I use them right out of the can with dried oregano or a pizza seasoning, and sometimes garlic, grated Romano and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and a few red pepper flakes. Others use sugar, a broader variety of herbs and seasonings, onions and peppers. Some prefer a cooked sauce with strong, robust flavors, with wine, balsamic vinegar and the like.
Peter

I had a feeling you were going to say that Pete :)  I think I would prefer a more basic sauce, which is what I tend to believe is the closest thing to true NY pizza.  I lean toward a sweeter sauce as well. 

I'm curious about one thing.   When you use the 6-in-1 "right out of the can" did you find the need to remove any water or do you truly take them straight from the can?  I ask because the one problem I often have with making my own sauces is the amount of water in the sauce.

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »
My sauce is a variation of one on the recipe page.  This makes about enough for two 13" pies.

1 - 15 oz can whole tomatoes (I like the Wally Word brand myself, can't beat the price)
1 1/2 Tbls. tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
couple grinds of fresh black pepper
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar

Toss everything in blender and turn on high for 10 sec. or so.
Pour everything into sauce pan on medium heat, just as sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat to low just barely simmering.
Simmer for 20 min or so.  Let cool completely before using.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 06:55:31 PM by PizzaEater »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
wvpizzaman,

I recalled reading a post on the PMQ Think Tank where a poster, who was a pizza operator, addressed the issue of trying to fathom the basic NY style pizza sauce. This is what he had to say on the subject:

Remember when it comes to sauce and dry spices... less spice is better. Many people have tried to duplicate NY Style pizza sauce.. they even dumpster dive for secrets and there are none. They always over-spice their sauce. Take 2 cups of Full Red pizza sauce and add a cup of water to it (maybe a bit more). This is a thin sauce for the same reason the dough is a moist dough.. the high heat will boil the water out of the sauce.. too thick of a sauce and you will have tomato paste under your toppings and it will be sickeningly pasty on the edges. Add 1/2 tsp of oregano, 1/2 tsp of basil, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper and 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, maybe 1/2 tsp of sugar if you think it has too much of an acid bite to it and finally 1 tbs of the fresh grated romano cheese. Stir and let set an hour or better yet overnight.

With a 6-in-1 sauce, you perhaps wouldn't want to add additional water unless you like a really thin sauce. The other ingredients can be adjusted to taste. If you'd like, you can drain the 6-in-1s to get the texture you want, but as you will see when you get the 6-in-1s, they are fairly thick to begin with.

In my case, I use the 6-in-1s right out of the can, without draining. Sometimes, when using a seasoning such as the Penzeys pizza seasoning, I may heat up the seasoning with a little oil in a sauce pan, usually along with garlic, and then add the 6-in-1s. I cook the sauce a bit to marry the flavors but not to the point of boiling, and for as short a time as possible. There may be a slight reduction of water content, but not much. I then refrigerate the sauce for use later, usually the next day. I might add that I have become very fond of the imported dried Greek oregano, which scott r introduced me to, as well as the Sicilian wild oregano. Sometimes I use just that herb with the sauce, with nothing else, not even salt. It makes for a nice, clean, fresh taste. It all depends on the taste effect you are trying to achieve. For a Sicilian style, I might shoot for something more robust.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »
Peter, I just wanted to clarify that the Italian (specifically Sicilian) oregano is the stuff that I fell in love with.  So far the Greek varieties I have found do not measure up.  To me they are not much better than a standard McCormick/Pensy's/Durkee, or whatever.

Also Peter, great suggestions.  Less is more when it comes to a NY style sauce.  Use great California tomatoes (Escalon,Stanislaus,Redpack,Hunts,Pastene,San Benito,Old California) Minimal spice, and get the right amount of water in them and you can't go wrong.

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
Personally, I like a little more seasoned sauce.  For my current sauce I use 28 oz of crushed tomatos and add a couple of swigs of olive oil, dried oregano, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp MSG (Accent).  I'm still tinkering with it, but that is what I use now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 08:44:26 PM »
scott,

Thanks for the clarification. I recently bought an oregano plant which has been in the garden for a couple of weeks now. I thought it was Italian but I may be confused there also. It does have a potent flavor and aroma, however. I like it better than the oregano I have had growing for several years. It has managed to survive winters intact, so I hope my new oregano is able to do the same. I should be starting my basil from seed soon. I have two varieties, including one recommended by Marco. 

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »

Peter, those are going to make some killer pies.  When you get a bite of your first pie with the neapolitan basil you are going to be addicted.

Be careful, that stuff is really potent!

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:14:19 AM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:48:05 AM by Mahoney »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »
Usually, when I make a pie for myself, I'll add some diced onions on top of the regular pizza sauce that I just placed on the dough.  I also add half a sachet of sugar (I like my sauce a little sweeter than usual).  Then I'll top it off normally with mozzarella or any other topping I feel like having that day.  Before I cook it, I add some more diced onions to the top.

The onions add a really nice sweet balance to the sourness of the tomatoes and the saltiness of most toppings. 

Offline fliplap

• Where can I get Harpoon Ale out west?
    • AZBMW.org
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »
scott,

Thanks for the clarification. I recently bought an oregano plant which has been in the garden for a couple of weeks now. I thought it was Italian but I may be confused there also. It does have a potent flavor and aroma, however. I like it better than the oregano I have had growing for several years. It has managed to survive winters intact, so I hope my new oregano is able to do the same. I should be starting my basil from seed soon. I have two varieties, including one recommended by Marco. 

Peter

I started my basil from seed about a month ago and its almost ready to use. I'm excited to hear your oregano is doing well. I'm planning on giving it a try since my second try at cilantro seems to have taken an overnight turn for the worse after a month of what appeared to be excellent progress. The basil is growing like a weed, hopefully it stays this way!

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »
I'm so intrigued by everyone who sounds like they're reasonably happy with their sauces.  I've got a great idea.  It'll never happen, but I love to think about it...

Everyone who thinks they've got a good sauce makes up a big batch and cans up a dozen 8-oz jars of it.  They send that to a central clearing house (someone would have to volunteer to do this).  This volunteer takes everyone's jars and creates 12 sampler packs which can either be sold back to the original chefs or to others online here who are interested.  Personally, I'd pay some serious money to taste some of your sauces.

On a more realistic note...

I'm still a neophyte trying to come up with a sauce that I like.  What sort of consistency should I be looking for?  The premade stuff, like the big cans of RedPack, are VERY thick.  You can stand a wooden spoon in it at a 45-degree angle.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:20:45 PM by enchant »
--pat--

Offline rscox62

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 05:55:05 PM »
Here is my basic sauce that is simply and I use all the time.

1 28 oz can of 6-n-1
1 tbls of oregano
1 tbls of basil
1 tbls of sugar

puree in blender, cover and let sit in the refridgerator for 2 days.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
The best one I have found is on Escalon's site.  I can look at see which one it is if you want.  Just scale it down.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Tulcat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
Yes, Please do let us know which recipe you are referring to at  Escalon's site. 

Thanks

pizzapan