Author Topic: Change from ADY to IDY resulted in significant dough difference  (Read 583 times)

Offline bradtri

Change from ADY to IDY resulted in significant dough difference
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
I recently switched from ADY to IDY for my dough and had an unexpected change in my dough.  While my dough with ADY was very pliable and easy to work with, the dough with IDY is significantly more "rubbery" and has more spring-back when shaping.  Should this change be expected when only changing the yeast?

My recipe is:

King Arthur Bread Flour   1425 grams
Salt    28 grams
Yeast   6 grams
Water    884 grams
Canola or Olive oil    57 grams

I mix all ingredients until dough comes together then rest for 5 minutes.  Then mix for 5 minutes on speed 1 of Bosch Universal Plus.  Divide into 400 g balls and refrigerate for 2-8 days as I use them.

I should note that I never proofed the ADY and frequently just quickly whisked it into the water (which was chilled) prior to adding it to the dry ingredients.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Change from ADY to IDY resulted in significant dough difference
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
bradtri,

You might want to take a look at Tom Lehmann's post at Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16775.msg164171;topicseen#msg164171 to determine what conversion you may need from ADY to IDY based on the way you are currently using the ADY, even if not in accordance with the method recommended by Tom and yeast producers for prehydrating ADY.

There is also a yeast conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm but I believe that it presumes that the yeast forms are properly used in accordance with recommended procedures.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:25:28 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline bradtri

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Thanks Pete.   I was aware that there was a conversion factor between ADY and IDY.  Perhaps I should rephrase my question. 

Should the relative increase in yeast (because of using the same measure of IDY in place of ADY) result in such a significant textural change in the dough? 

Yesterday, I took the IDY dough balls out of the fridge and re-balled after 1 hour at room temp.  I then let them rest a room temp for another 5 hours and they were still rather rubbery and difficult to shape.  My ADY dough in the same situation would have literally been sagging off of my hands.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
bradtri, perhaps this quote from Tom Lohmann's post that Peter referred to is part of the reason.

"While IDY also has its share of damaged yeast cells due to the drying process, the issue has been addressed through the addition of a small amount of ascorbic acid to the dry yeast, while the ADY (active dry yeast) has not had any ascorbic acid added, so the doughs made with ADY actually end up slightly softer than when made with IDY."

I find this interesting and I'm glad you brought this up.
Marty

pizzapan