Author Topic: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough  (Read 4401 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Norma,
You're welcome to use my gmail # and I can set it to forward the messages to you.
I believe  I still have your # and mine is posted on my forum profile her. PM if you have any questions.

Bob

Bob,

That is kind of you to offer me the use of your gmail.  ;) I would like to see if Peter knows any other places to contact Giordano's other than their “get in touch feature”.  Maybe if you want you could ask Giordano's on their http://giordanos.com/get-in-touch/ page if they use any hydrogenated oils in their stuffed pizza dough.  You could tell them if you want that you might be interested in ordering some stuffed crust pizzas but first want to know if they use any hydrogenated oils in their stuffed crust dough.

Norma

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:38:01 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Bob,

That is kind of you to offer me the use of your gmail.  ;) I would like to see if Peter knows any other places to contact Giordano's other than their “get in touch feature”.  Maybe if you want you could ask Giordano's on their http://giordanos.com/get-in-touch/ page if they use any hydrogenated oils in their stuffed pizza dough.  You could tell them if you want that you might be interested in ordering some stuffed crust pizzas but first want to know if they use any hydrogenated oils in their stuffed crust dough.

Norma
Done through the link you provided Norma.
Here's my message and we'll see what they say....

"I would like to place an order. I cannot consume hydrogenated oils ...do your pizzas contain this?
Thank you,
Bob"

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Done through the link you provided Norma.
Here's my message and we'll see what they say....

"I would like to place an order. I cannot consume hydrogenated oils ...do your pizzas contain this?
Thank you,
Bob"

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for contacting Giordano's.  8) The thing I forgot to tell you though is that Giordano's does use margarine to grease their pans, which probably does contain hydrogenated oil.  You might want to send another message saying you are just concerned about hydrogenated oils in pizza dough and don't mind if they use margarine or something similar to grease their pans.  Sorry, I was not more through in posting what you should say.  :-[

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
Bob,

Thanks so much for contacting Giordano's.  8) The thing I forgot to tell you though is that Giordano's does use margarine to grease their pans, which probably does contain hydrogenated oil.  You might want to send another message saying you are just concerned about hydrogenated oils in pizza dough and don't mind if they use margarine or something similar to grease their pans.  Sorry, I was not more through in posting what you should say.  :-[

Norma
That's fine Norma....let's wait and see how thorough G's are...if they are on their game they will differentiate their use of hydro oils to me. Rather than a blanket statement.

Bob

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
Norma,

Bob should be right that Giordano's should differentiate between the dough and the fats (most likely Koshered margarine) used to grease the pans. Another way to ask the question is to ask whether their dough contains trans fats. The FDA is reportedly on the verge of taking certain products with trans fats off of its GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list, so every food producer on the planet is aware of trans fats and how they have become universally despised by consumers and regulators alike. Trans fats can only exist for hydrogenated oils. There are no trans fats for liquid oils, like soybean oil. It is still possible that the trans fats at Giordano's are kept below 0.5 grams per serving, which can be reported as zero, but let's wait to see what Giordano's actually says, if it responds to Bob.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Norma,

Bob should be right that Giordano's should differentiate between the dough and the fats (most likely Koshered margarine) used to grease the pans. Another way to ask the question is to ask whether their dough contains trans fats. The FDA is reportedly on the verge of taking certain products with trans fats off of its GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list, so every food producer on the planet is aware of trans fats and how they have become universally despised by consumers and regulators alike. Trans fats can only exist for hydrogenated oils. There are no trans fats for liquid oils, like soybean oil. It is still possible that the trans fats at Giordano's are kept below 0.5 grams per serving, which can be reported as zero, but let's wait to see what Giordano's actually says, if it responds to Bob.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for explaining more.  I agree, let's wait and see if Bob gets a reply from Giordano's.  It sure was nice of Bob to use the Giordano's get in touch page.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for explaining more.  I agree, let's wait and see if Bob gets a reply from Giordano's.  It sure was nice of Bob to use the Giordano's get in touch page.

Norma
Anything for you Norma Gene....absolutely "limite al".  ;)

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
Anything for you Norma Gene....absolutely "limite al".  ;)

Bob

Thanks so much Bob!  ;)

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
In the process of repeating my Tommy's clone per Aimless Ryan's recipe from here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12446.msg279392#msg279392

Only one change from my reported pie here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12446.msg306072#msg306072 and that will be the direct substitution of 5% Crisco for 5% fat flakes (Thank you very much Norma!)

I use the food processor method.  First pix is the 5% fat flakes.  I was wondering how the fat flakes would behave, and the AP flour did sort of form breadcrumbs in the second pix.  Third pix shows the dump onto the counter.   Final pix is the dough ball wrapped and going into high temp proofing for dinner tonight. 

The dough seemed tougher out of the processor.  Makes sense as the Crisco is so much more creamy at room temperature.  Balling the dough left white streaks on the counter whereas Crisco left an oil film.

Wanted to document this so I don't chicken out posting if it bombs in the oven!

Will post what comes out of the oven tonight... to be continued.

edit/update+2hrs... dough seems dry and not coming together/fermenting very fast/well in the oven with the light on...

dit/update+4hrs... dough took off well, good aroma.  Rolled out easily.   Definately picked up biscuit characteristics on the roll out.  Skins in the freezer/fridge right now.  Threw a few scraps on the stone as the oven was preheating, and it definitely had a soft biscuit quality to it.  I am going to let it preheat for 45 minutes at 530 then do some scraps.  I have 6 scraps, 3 just rolled out, 3 rolled and lightly docked.  Let's see what happens in an hour...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:59:24 PM by bigMoose »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
Ok, made and tasted the 9 inch test pie.  The crust is very biscuity.  But very subtle, delicate and no hint of bready.  It did crunch up on the cornice, but is velvet smooth throughout.  I like it, it is different, but a very "gracious" pie.

Pix below show:
6 test trimming pieces going into the oven 530 degF.  3 not docked, 3 lightly docked.
6 test pieces after 3 minutes in oven top side
6 test pieces after 3 minutes in oven bottom side
30 sec nuke on Mama Isabella pepperoni to remove some of the excessive grease
pie going into oven all dressed up
pie after 6 minute bake
underside of pie after bake
a peek at the cut line after bake

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
Dave,

Thanks so much for you detailed posts and photos of what you did with the flakes flakes using Ryan's Tommy's clone.

Interesting that the crust was very biscuity.  I never heard of a pie being gracious, but think you gave a very good description of how it turned out.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
Would have liked to see more/better pics of finished pizza/crumb.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
Bob, thanks you made me go back and check, I did have a pix of the test coupon crumbs.  Docked on the left and undocked on the right.

You also gave me the reason to bake another pie from this same dough that's been in the fridge now for an additional day.  I had two test crumbs for breakfast, and they are definitely "bisquity" and some of the snap has left the crust and they are now more uniform after a night in a sealed plastic bag on the counter.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »

You also gave me the reason to bake another pie from this same dough that's been in the fridge now for an additional day.  I had two test crumbs for breakfast, and they are definitely "bisquity" and some of the snap has left the crust and they are now more uniform after a night in a sealed plastic bag on the counter.

Dave,

Your test coupon crumbs in your recent photo are interesting in seeing the docked and undocked crumbs up close.  Did you reheat the crumbs to see if they would have gotten some of the snap back, or did you eat them right out of the sealed plastic bag?

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Bob, thanks you made me go back and check, I did have a pix of the test coupon crumbs.  Docked on the left and undocked on the right.

Both look good but I'll bet the undocked one(on the right)would make a fine pizza once the weight of toppings were place on that dough.

Bob

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
For info,  yesterday's 9 inch test pie was undocked.

Norma, I did eat them cold.  I have one left... I better ask the wifey not to eat it!  :-D  and I will re heat it when I make today's 9 inch sample pie and let you know if the crunch came back.

It didn't surprise me, as we ruined many a loaf of my sourdough bread sealing the plastic bag, until we learned to leave the plastic bag unsealed.  We now just put the loaf in a very thin, cheap plastic bag and then lay the cut side face down on the counter top.  It keeps up to 3 or 4 days that way, but makes great toast after that.

A buddy I gave some sourdough loaves to said that he "found" one after a week or so in the pantry and it was pretty hard... but remembering what I said about it making great toast, did that and loved it.  He said my sourdough seems to never mold.

Looking at the bottom picture again, and remembering the browning as I was watching the pie... it was the first time that I was seeing a difference between the back and front of the oven.  I may lower the bake temperature to 485 today and see what transpires. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:43:17 AM by bigMoose »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

Norma, I did eat them cold.  I have one left... I better ask the wifey not to eat it!  :-D  and I will re heat it when I make today's 9 inch sample pie and let you know if the crunch came back.

It didn't surprise me, as we ruined many a loaf of my sourdough bread sealing the plastic bag, until we learned to leave the plastic bag unsealed.  We now just put the loaf in a very thin, cheap plastic bag and then lay the cut side face down on the counter top.  It keeps up to 3 or 4 days that way, but makes great toast after that.

A buddy I gave some sourdough loaves to said that he "found" one after a week or so in the pantry and it was pretty hard... but remembering what I said about it making great toast, did that and loved it.  He said my sourdough seems to never mold.

Looking at the bottom picture again, and remembering the browning as I was watching the pie... it was the first time that I was seeing a difference between the back and front of the oven.  I may lower the bake temperature to 485 today and see what transpires.

Dave,

Lol about asking the wifey not to eat the leftover one.  :-D With each variable there can be some changes.  Sometimes it is hard for me figure out why they happened.   :-\

Interesting post about your sourdough breads.

Will be interested in what happens with your next bake.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »

Re-heat slow in a covered cast iron skillet. Comes out crunchier than the original!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »
I can't believe it... I went out to the kitchen and she was eating it  :( she slathered honey all over it... said it tasted more like a saltine cracker this morning.  Said it was chewier yesterday.  ... said "she forgot..."

Thanks for the tip on reheating, I appreciate it!  I will have to look if I have a skillet big enough for her to fit in...  :-D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:20:25 PM by bigMoose »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
Re-heat slow in a covered cast iron skillet. Comes out crunchier than the original!!

jon
^^^  excellent tip.

bigMoose; here ya go!  ;D   http://www.lodgemfg.com/

pizzapan