Author Topic: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough  (Read 5165 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
To make the hiJack complete... here is a pix of me and my youngest daughter, I wonder what shade tint will make the ol' white beard have character?  Any suggestions?  :-D

Lol Dave, you made me crack up! :-D  Follow your heart and dreams and tint your beard whatever color you want.  ;D  My brother also tints his hair now and I would guess a lot of men do.  Have fun!

I already made an appointment for Wednesday to have a better strawberry blond permanent hair coloring job.  The hairdresser did not have a true strawberry blond rinse so I just went with what she had.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:54:43 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Thanks Pete and Norma!  There exists a pix of me with my current long "uncle Si" (of duck dynasty) beard braided... like the pirate Johnny Depp played in Pirates of the Caribean... my wifey won't let me post it...  :-[

PS: for Peter, I am the one with the limp right eyeball...aw shucks... both of us have a limp right eyeball... guess you will have to guess which one is mee!  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »
bigMoose,
Your daughter is gorgeous and you look like a very happy man.
Thanks for the awesome pic dude.  8)

CB

p.s. leave your hair coloring alone.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:28 AM »
I am not sure if the fat flake thread is the best place to put this post, but since we talked about Giordano's pizza here some this is where I am going to post this.  If this post needs to be moved it can be moved.

The Hunt brothers are my facebook friends.  I saw the one Hunt brother posted on March 22nd that they had visited Giordano's pizza in Orlando, FL and had posted a photo of a Giordano's pizza.  The one brother posted he was wrecked from the two slices of Giordano's pizza he ate and those two slice were like the 17 pizza business they had visited in and around NYC in three days recently.  Another friend of the one Hunt brother had ask if the Giordano's franchise pizza was as good as the original and the one brother posted that they never were at the original Giordano's but they thought it was pretty good.  I asked about the cheese and the texture of the rim crust and asked if the rim crust was flaky.  This is what the one Hunt brother replied to me.   The cheese was fantastic, we are not sure what it was exactly though. Whatever it was it was strong and flavorful. The crust tasted and had the same structure as a flaky biscuit. I told them that I think the Stella mozzarellas are used and gave them a link to here on the forum.  The one brother replied to me he was under the impression that maybe they were using a mix of whole milk mozzarella and provolone cheese.  I told him I would have to do a search about that.  I asked the one brother if he minded if I posted the photos and what he said and he said no he doesn't mind.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
Norma,

Giordano's has only said that they use two kinds of mozzarella cheeses. However, it is easy to see how someone might think that one of the cheeses is provolone cheese because, like mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese is a pasta filata cheese with similar melt and stretch characteristics as mozzarella cheese. Also, its flavor intensifies with age, as noted at http://saputo.ca/OurCheeses/Detail.aspx?id=233 . Saputo, by the way, makes the Stella cheeses.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
Norma,

Giordano's has only said that they use two kinds of mozzarella cheeses. However, it is easy to see how someone might think that one of the cheeses is provolone cheese because, like mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese is a pasta filata cheese with similar melt and stretch characteristics as mozzarella cheese. Also, its flavor intensifies with age, as noted at http://saputo.ca/OurCheeses/Detail.aspx?id=233 . Saputo, by the way, makes the Stella cheeses.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for all the information.  I will give that information to the one Hunt brother because he said he might purchase some of those cheeses to try.  Thanks also for noting Saputo makes the Stella cheeses.

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but perhaps it shows us how fat flakes changes the dough/batter.  I made my usual generic fruit muffin mix today, but subbed fat flakes for 1/2 of the canola oil that I usually use.  I did not tell my wife.  I noticed a change in the muffins, but wanted to get her assessment as unbiased as I possible could.  She said: "These are great!"  I said: "Why?"  She continued: "They have an almost crisp exterior, but a soft, moist center that is velvety." 

That is what I noticed also.  That "crisp exterior" will hold a nice ganache frosting, or drizzle.  I am going to let a couple of them "age" in the open for 2 days and see if the seem "fresher" than my usual muffins at that time.  These "fat flakes" sure are interesting!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but perhaps it shows us how fat flakes changes the dough/batter.  I made my usual generic fruit muffin mix today, but subbed fat flakes for 1/2 of the canola oil that I usually use.  I did not tell my wife.  I noticed a change in the muffins, but wanted to get her assessment as unbiased as I possible could.  She said: "These are great!"  I said: "Why?"  She continued: "They have an almost crisp exterior, but a soft, moist center that is velvety." 

That is what I noticed also.  That "crisp exterior" will hold a nice ganache frosting, or drizzle.  I am going to let a couple of them "age" in the open for 2 days and see if the seem "fresher" than my usual muffins at that time.  These "fat flakes" sure are interesting!

Dave,

That is very interesting to hear how fat flakes change a dough/batter.  That is great news to hear that the subbed fat flakes for of the canola oil gave your wife a pleasant surprise.  I really like your description of the crisp exterior.  It will be interesting to hear if two days will make the muffins taste fresher than your usual muffins. 

I want to play around with the fat flakes more but other things are keeping me from experimenting more.  Life gets in the way of experiments sometimes.   :-D

Looking forward to hearing what happens.

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
One day later the crisp exterior was a tad crisper and the center ok.
Two days later the exterior was crisp overall and the center was going dry.
Three days later the exterior was very firm and the center was pretty hard. 

This was for 3 inch muffins I made in a 12 place mini bundt pan.  I did not ice them or dip them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
One day later the crisp exterior was a tad crisper and the center ok.
Two days later the exterior was crisp overall and the center was going dry.
Three days later the exterior was very firm and the center was pretty hard. 

This was for 3 inch muffins I made in a 12 place mini bundt pan.  I did not ice them or dip them.

Dave,

Thanks for your report on what happened with your muffins that you let sit out that had the fat flakes added.  What would have your normal muffins been like if you did not ice or dip them.

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Norma, with respect to my regular, unfrosted muffins, the fat flake muffins seemed:

Day 1 was definately moister/better.
Day 2 "somewhat" moister/better, could definitely tell they were day old though.
Day 3 was about the same, pretty likely needing a microwave burst to freshen them up.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
Norma, with respect to my regular, unfrosted muffins, the fat flake muffins seemed:

Day 1 was definately moister/better.
Day 2 "somewhat" moister/better, could definitely tell they were day old though.
Day 3 was about the same, pretty likely needing a microwave burst to freshen them up.

Thanks Dave for your report!  I would like to try some croissants with fat flakes when I find time.

Norma

pizzapan