Author Topic: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough  (Read 4371 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: The Fat Flake Pizza Dough
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
Oh.  Didn't he say that they worked best at 10-15%?  Someone else said he said that but who knows.

Tom stated in a Pizza today article that 10 to 15 percent is used to "achieve the desired effect". September 2012.  You can google "Tom Lehman Fat Flakes"  for his article.

I really likes these results personally and want to try it as well....

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »
Tom stated in a Pizza today article that 10 to 15 percent is used to "achieve the desired effect". September 2012.  You can google "Tom Lehman Fat Flakes"  for his article.

I really likes these results personally and want to try it as well....

PizzaGarage,

If this the article that you mentioned that Tom Lehman wrote about fat flakes? http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/oils-affect-dough/ If there is another article about fat flakes that Tom Lehmann wrote could you post the link to the article?

I would gladly sent you some fat flakes to try if you want to pay for the postal box and shipping.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Starting an experiment tonite using beef chuck fat that I saved in the freezer. Pounded out, thin sliced, rinsed and strained to keep it from clumping and leaving nice separated slivers. ALSOooooo, trying out my FIRST Detroit style Norma, thank you for the inspiration!!! So I have mixed the dough for 10 minutes, resting now, will mix again for a few minutes and then gently mix or knead the fat into the dough trying not to breakdown the slivers of beef fat, I will post results tomorrow or Friday. Fat was added at 12%, keeping in mind that this is regular fat, not dehydrated

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
Norma, one more thing, do you think 15.6 oz of dough is enough for 12x11" pan? This hasn't risen yet of course but it doesn't look like it's enough, just wanted to run it by you.

thanks
jon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »
Starting an experiment tonite using beef chuck fat that I saved in the freezer. Pounded out, thin sliced, rinsed and strained to keep it from clumping and leaving nice separated slivers. ALSOooooo, trying out my FIRST Detroit style Norma, thank you for the inspiration!!! So I have mixed the dough for 10 minutes, resting now, will mix again for a few minutes and then gently mix or knead the fat into the dough trying not to breakdown the slivers of beef fat, I will post results tomorrow or Friday. Fat was added at 12%, keeping in mind that this is regular fat, not dehydrated

jon

Jon,

That is cool that you are trying frozen beef fat.  8) The fat pieces look great!   ;D >:D  Good luck on your first Detroit style pizza with your beef fat pieces.  ;D Just to let you know I don't use any oil in my Detroit style pizzas, but did in other Sicilian pizza with higher hydrations.

Norma 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:16:05 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
Norma, one more thing, do you think 15.6 oz of dough is enough for 12x11" pan? This hasn't risen yet of course but it doesn't look like it's enough, just wanted to run it by you.

thanks
jon

Jon,

I went over to my Two Bill's thread to see what TF I used.  I now only do the dough on the calculating tool using the weight option because I know my dough ball weights for my 8"x10" pans are 9.5 ounces.  In Reply 428 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg225064#msg225064  I used 0.1218 as the TF.  My Detroit style dough is higher in hydration than that formulation was.  Maybe you can figure out if 15.6 oz. of dough is enough dough.  I think it might be though because I think in my one post I used 1 lb. of dough for my bigger Detroit pans.  I let my dough balls rise overnight in the cooler at market and then press them out cold and let the dough temper again until they rise.  Maybe after your dough rises it would look like enough dough.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:25:58 PM by norma427 »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »
PizzaGarage,

If this the article that you mentioned that Tom Lehman wrote about fat flakes? http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/oils-affect-dough/ If there is another article about fat flakes that Tom Lehmann wrote could you post the link to the article?

I would gladly sent you some fat flakes to try if you want to pay for the postal box and shipping.

Norma

That is the one, starts on paragraph 6 or 7...

I do appreciate the offer...my supplier has some he will send me..but thank you!!

It looks really interesting and I want to try it out in my pan doughs....

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
That is the one, starts on paragraph 6 or 7...

I do appreciate the offer...my supplier has some he will send me..but thank you!!

It looks really interesting and I want to try it out in my pan doughs....

PizzaGarage,

I will be interested in seeing what kind of of results you get in your pan doughs with fat flakes.  8)   

I would try out more experiments with the fat flakes sooner but one can only make so many pizzas and consume them.   :-D

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »
Jon,

I will have to go over to my Two Bill's thread and see what TF I used.  I now only do the dough on the calculating tool using the weight option because I know my dough weights for my 8"x10" pans are 9.5 ounces.

Norma

I should be pretty close then. I found an enameled bottom to a broiler pan in my basement that should work perfect for this application. I've been thinking about making your Detroit style for some time now and then you come up with these fat flakes deal and dammit I could not make up my mind so I thought, what the hell, incorporate both and see where I land. Excited to see how it turns out. BIG THANKS for all you share here young lady!!!

jon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »
I should be pretty close then. I found an enameled bottom to a broiler pan in my basement that should work perfect for this application. I've been thinking about making your Detroit style for some time now and then you come up with these fat flakes deal and dammit I could not make up my mind so I thought, what the hell, incorporate both and see where I land. Excited to see how it turns out. BIG THANKS for all you share here young lady!!!

jon

Jon,

I do think you will be pretty close.

If you look at Craig's formulation for his Detroit style pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21992.0 you can see he used oil in his dough.

I will really be interested in seeing how your “fat flakes” Detroit style pizza turns out.  You might start a new trend with your way of making fat flakes for pizza dough.   >:D

I think I recall Matt posting somewhere that he used some kind of special fat for his Pizzarium pies.

Norma

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Jon;
Actually, the moisture in your fat is desirable as it provides for enhanced pocket formation within the crumb structure resulting from the vaporizing of the water in the fat. This is how puff pastry is made. In fact, the hard fat flakes that Norma is working with used to be available in three different forms, plain (100% fat); hydrated (with water) and nitrogen infused.
Norma, if you are reading this, please resend me your mailing address as I have some more material on hard fat flakes to send to you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »

Norma, if you are reading this, please resend me your mailing address as I have some more material on hard fat flakes to send to you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

I am reading so I will resend you my email address again for more material to read.  I am interested to know what style of crust I should try next with the fat flakes.

Thanks!

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Tom, if I blitz the fat flakes in my food processor (which I use to make my low hydration dough) will I dice up the fat flakes too small with the processor blade?  I have found that the processor dough blade is worthless at low hydration and use the chopper blade.

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
Tom,

I am reading so I will resend you my email address again for more material to read.  I am interested to know what style of crust I should try next with the fat flakes.

Thanks!

Norma

I know you were talking to Tom but I'd be interested to see how Garveys PF clone turns out with them.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
I know you were talking to Tom but I'd be interested to see how Garveys PF clone turns out with them.

Johnny,

Maybe Tom comment on what type of dough I will try next with the fat flakes.  I will wait until I see if Tom posts something. 

I eventually will try Garvey's PF clone if you want me to.  Do you have the direct link for the formulation?

Norma

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Hey Norma,
 Here is the link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.0
The family has halted any and all Chicago thin experiments since I started making it :drool: Darn you Garvey.lol
I didn't want to step on toes or anything since I knew you were talking to Tom but I couldn't resist the suggestion ;D

Johnny

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
Hey Norma,
 Here is the link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.0
The family has halted any and all Chicago thin experiments since I started making it :drool: Darn you Garvey.lol
I didn't want to step on toes or anything since I knew you were talking to Tom but I couldn't resist the suggestion ;D

Johnny

Johnny,

Thanks for the link!  That is great to hear your family really likes Garvey's thin crust pizzas.  Lol, about the darn you Garvey.  :-D

You did not step on anyone"s toes.  I am always up for new experiments when I find time.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »
This is the new fat flake dough I am trying.  Still don't understand how to use the expanded calculation tool to be able to use it for the fat flakes.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
Norma,

Are you using 45.11 grams or 46.11 grams of fat flakes? And are you using Morton's Kosher salt again and a thickness factor of 0.13 ? And do you have a particular dough ball weight and pizza size in mind?

Peter

pizzapan