Author Topic: Shredding cheese – what do you use???  (Read 1209 times)

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
Shredding cheese – what do you use???
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
For those who shred their own cheese to you do it by hand or use a food processor?  If by hand what are you using?   I have been using a food processor and not 100% happy with the results. 
Pete

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Shredding cheese – what do you use???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
I use a box grater on the coarse side. Works great when you are only making 3-4 pizzas. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »
Cut in small chunks and pulse in processer. I had a cheese guitar that did 1/4" dice but some of the wires broke

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
Cut in small chunks and pulse in processer. I had a cheese guitar that did 1/4" dice but some of the wires broke

jon

I use a food processor, too - the "mini" KitchenAid.  I have an older version but here it is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MMNAGC/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Also, I have considered buying the "Salad Shooter", http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IV0R/?tag=pizzamaking-20 .  There are a few postings here that seem to say it is well thought of - there is a regular and "professional" version.  From what I can tell, the regular one may actually be better for the task at hand - less clunky, better size chop.  The analysis paralysis did me in and I still use the KitchenAid.

- Mitch

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
If I'm grating anything less than 2lbs I'll usually shred it on a plain flat grater, anything above that I use the kitchenaid shredder/slicer attachment. It does tend to leave some pieces of cheese (especially the softer ones) between the rotating assembly and the housing but I have no problem throwing them back in to grate...but I usually end up eating them in the name of "quality control" ;D
If Tetris has taught me anything, it’s that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
Used cuisinart shredder for years on chilled mozzarella a bit too thin and fluffy. Now I hand grate with a micro plane grater. I get thick, long shreds.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
Started shredding by hand, I now blend 3 cheeses (Motz, Prov & Romano) and use a salad shooter when making one pie, and the shredder attachment for the KA mixer when baking for a group.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
I just purchased this cheese shedder at market today.  I think it works well for some styles of pizzas.  The shedder is stainless steel. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:20:09 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Seven

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
I also use the shredder blade in a food processor. I just did a 6 pound loaf of Formost Farms whole milk mozz and bagged it up in 8 ounce portions before freezing. I typically put a sheet pan of shredded cheese in the freezer for a while to firm up before bagging...this seems to prevent clumps of frozen cheese.

Offline holorim

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
I'm using this grater specifically designed for cheese (the manufacturer allows you to choose diameter of shredding holes between 1mm and 10mm). Very sturdy device, able to handle the hardest Parmesan at high rate (grater disk is directly attached to the induction motor rotor which revolves at about 1300 rpm)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:53:31 PM by holorim »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
We have been using a hobart fp 100 food processor pictured below.  It does a great job but our business is really taking off and I needed to get a larger capacity unit.   I bought a Hobart Pelican shredder that hooks up to our mixer.  It is the ticket.  I am thinking of selling the food processor. It has 6 or 7 attachements and the only one we have used is the cheese grater blade.   Walter

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
Box grater and a microplane work great for small volumes.

pizzapan