Author Topic: What is on the floor of commercial wood pizza ovens?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
What is on the floor of commercial wood pizza ovens?
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:34:02 PM »
What are those large tiles/stones on the floor of those "wood brick oven" restaurants?  Can I use one at home?  I want something that can handle the fire and heat of a Big Green Egg.  I also want something that can handle therml shock.  Sorry Pete-zza, I should have search the site, but I felt lazy.  I am sure the topic exists somewhere.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: What is on the floor of commercial wood pizza ovens?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:13:06 AM »
The general composit of most floors are alumina, SiO2, MgO, clay and some other elements, which are then pressed into tiles.  For example the baking stone you see at williams sonoma or American Metal Craft is a low grade Cordierite material which has these elements.. You can also have the floor poured in a mold, by using materials by La Farge or Thermal Ceramics.  La Farge makes a material called Fondag which is very hard and has high thermal shock, however it tends to be very dense and not too porous.  Some of the economy wood fire ovens have a floor from a cast refractory.

If you need some of the tiles I have tons of them.  I have 12 x 12 x 1 1/2.  They do weigh 17 lb each so shipping can be expensive.
-JP-

pizzapan