Author Topic: How a Margherita should look like..  (Read 4121 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
How a Margherita should look like..
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:27:28 AM »
Guys,

This is a picture that a frind of mine, Pizzamaker from Rome, has took yesterday at Da Michele and published on an Italian forum.
Here is Stefano's picture:

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: How a Margherita should look like..
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:47:51 PM »
Stefano from Tivoli?Ihope is pizzas are looking like this ! ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline upper crust

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:03:33 AM »
  O yes :D

Offline PittsburghPieMaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:59:37 AM »
Funny thing... I just found this forum about two hours ago and after reading a ton of posts I came upon this one. After viewing the picture, I was beginning to swallow when I got this abnormal feeling in my mouth. It was filled with an abundance of saliva. I guess I am really craving a quality Margherita!

BTW all,
I feel like I have now found my family. I have never been to a forum where posts are so long, not that I write long posts myself, but definitely shows an enthusiasm and best of all talks about my favorite food pizza. Mannn, I love you guys!

Justin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 12:02:30 PM by PittsburghPieMaker »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »
Pittsburgh Pie Maker, if you are in Pittsburgh you are VERY lucky.  There are not many places in this country where you can get a real Neapolitan pizza.  Quite possibly the best in the country is right there in Mt. Lebanon.   You should head over to Il Pizzaiolo and give it a try.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
ScottR,

I have been there a few times and absolutely love it. Where I haven't been yet and have been meaning to go for sometime is Regina. There are quite a few I really love and Il Pizzaiolo is definitely one of them. I used to know the owners daughter on a semi friend basis and never kept in touch... sort of a friend of a friend relationship. Everyone always says Regina is really good. I also love Luciano's, Mineo's, Fiori's, and even Jioio's in Greensburg. As always, it just depends on the mood I am in. I also really love Papa J's in Carnegie. The have some awesome pie with some really good dough.

Justin

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
I would love to hear your report on how they compare.  One thing is for sure, Roberto has the right tools.  I know he has one hell of a mixer, a wood burning oven (probably a really good one), plus he uses caputo flour and buffalo mozzarella.  Both times I have had his pizza he was away from his restaraunt working caputo events and he made a point to tell me that his pizza back home (in Pgh.) was much better.  Also, I think the name has changed from Regina Margherita Pizzeria to Roberto's.  Maybe he has two places now??

From what I have heard I think it will be hard to beat Rons pizza at Il Pizzaiolo.  So far two people I know tried both and they both preferred Ron's pizza.  Let us know if you agree.

Have you ever tried the original Vincents Pizza Park?  That pizza is a totally different style than Neapolitan but definitely a Pittsburgh classic.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 08:42:52 AM by scott r »

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Regina Margherita doesn't exist anymore (the name still does but doesn't have a location..). Roberto and his old business partner have departed company. Roberto kept one location (the first) and called it Roberto's and the partner kept the business name and the other location (later sold and now with a different name, I believe antico forno or something like that- It is own by the same family as the place in the strip district next door to the italian cafe).

Roberto's mixer is indeed from the best producer in Italy however the oven, imported from Naples, is produced by a company that historically has only ever produced the iron doors for the neapolitan ovens. They are now making the whole ovens, and I have heard mixed opinion about their performance (Roberto's vouch for these  many other people I know are not happy with these) but most importantly I would be worried about their lasting quality: Some neapolitan ovens I know have been built 70-90 years ago and are still perfect. The oven at Regina Margherita's old location is about 5 years old and the bricks inside seams already worn out....

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
Marco,
Roberto offers a Pizza Mast' Nicola (OO,Pecorino Romano ,Basil). Is this a popular pizza particular to Naples?
                                David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 02:07:38 PM »
You won't find that pizza anywhere in Naples...

Ciao

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 08:37:35 PM »
Maybe one weekend I will try to hit up all 3 on one day to do a semi true comparison. I will give you the lowdown after.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
I'm heading to Pittsburgh next month, can tell me where Roberto's and some of the other recommended pizza places are located?  My wife's family lives in Latrobe, so I will have to try Jioio's.  We get pizza from Carbone's on occation, but it's only ok.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
I'm heading to Pittsburgh next month, can tell me where Roberto's and some of the other recommended pizza places are located?  My wife's family lives in Latrobe, so I will have to try Jioio's.  We get pizza from Carbone's on occation, but it's only ok.

Il Pizzaiolo
703 Washington Rd
Mt Lebanon, PA 15228-2004 
(412) 344-4123

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »
Vincents

the old ratty bar location is a real hit with me

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »
Stefano from Tivoli?Ihope is pizzas are looking like this ! ;)

very pretty...  looks soft, puffy, and charred... dough looks very pale yet clearly 'done'...  puffy lightness reminds me of a flat bread or a pita.  definitely doesn't look like it requires the chew effort of high gluten flour.