Author Topic: Help identifying a cheese brand/distributor?  (Read 850 times)

Offline tourmaline

• Hold the pepperoni - I'm vegetarian!
Help identifying a cheese brand/distributor?
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
Hello,
I am looking to identify a specific cheese manufacturer/brand, I am hopeful someone here might be able to help? Here is what I know

-The pizza cheese is a White Cheddar (when uncooked, it's extremely mild and smells/tastes like a good mozzarella, very buttery smelling, no cheddary sharpness to it at all)

-It's available in a huge 40-something lb block.....48 lbs IIRC

-I was told the manufacturer is not listed on the plastic packaging, only the location

-Utah is the location listed on the packaging

Does anyone have any knowledge of what brand or distributor this could be?
This is literally all I know at this point about the cheese I'm looking for. Thanks very much!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Help identifying a cheese brand/distributor?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »
Zoe,

My mild white cheddar has no name on the plastic packaging either.  The cardboard box my mild white cheddar comes in does comes have a code (or plant number) where it came from.  I showed Zing the number that was on my cardboard box (the mild white cheddar came in) and he found the name of the cheese maker that made it.  Do you have a plant number?  I did post a photo of my mild white cheddar that comes in those big blocks and also the plant number.  I can't find that post right now though.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:50 AM »
Zoe,

My mild white cheddar has no name on the plastic packaging either.  The cardboard box my mild white cheddar comes in does comes have a code (or plant number) where it came from.  I showed Zing the number that was on my cardboard box (the mild white cheddar came in) and he found the name of the cheese maker that made it.  Do you have a plant number?  I did post a photo of my mild white cheddar that comes in those big blocks and also the plant number.  I can't find that post right now though.

Norma

Thank you very much Norma!
Unfortunately I don't know the plant #, I only know the packaging said something about coming from Utah. This cheese is extremely mild. When you suggested the Cracker Barrel White Cheddar a while ago as somewhat analogous to the white cheddar that you use, I actually found that one to be very sharp (delicious on crackers!). This white cheddar I am seeking is very different from the Cracker Barrel. It's super mild, not sharp or cheddary at all, it smells and tastes like mozzarella but with just a bit of extra something there.
After doing some online research, a really good candidate for this cheesemaker is Gossner Cheese in Utah. I'm going to call them tomorrow and quiz them about their products and whether they could be the correct cheese brand I'm seeking.
Thanks again, you're always helpful!  :D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
it sounds very similar to brick cheese, brick cheese is a mild, creamy/buttery tasting cheese when young, which will take on a more cheddar like flavor as it ages. Brick cheese usually comes from the Wisconsin producers, but I'm sure it is also made in other places. Let us know what you find out.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:29:03 AM »
Thank you very much Norma!
Unfortunately I don't know the plant #, I only know the packaging said something about coming from Utah. This cheese is extremely mild. When you suggested the Cracker Barrel White Cheddar a while ago as somewhat analogous to the white cheddar that you use, I actually found that one to be very sharp (delicious on crackers!). This white cheddar I am seeking is very different from the Cracker Barrel. It's super mild, not sharp or cheddary at all, it smells and tastes like mozzarella but with just a bit of extra something there.
After doing some online research, a really good candidate for this cheesemaker is Gossner Cheese in Utah. I'm going to call them tomorrow and quiz them about their products and whether they could be the correct cheese brand I'm seeking.
Thanks again, you're always helpful!  :D

Zoe,

I know the cracker barrel white cheddar is not like the mild white cheddar I use, but I just threw the idea out so you might try the Cracker Barrel to see if a cheddar blended with mozzarella might get you somewhere near the cheese taste you are seeking. 

As you described the mild white cheddar you are seeking sounds just like my mild white cheddar.  The mild white cheddar I use looks and melts like mozzarella, but has a little tang to it.  It is not sharp at all. 

Gossner Cheese in Utah would be a good place for you to start on your search.  If you can't find out the information you are seeking from Gossner Cheese you might look at Nasonville Dairy and their mild white cheddars.  http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/  I purchased some one lb. cheddars from them when I was on the search for mild white cheddars, and although they did not taste like the mild white cheddar I finally found the Nasonville's mild white cheddars were good on pizzas. 

You might also want to contact Heagy Foods, Inc.  http://www.heagyfoods.com/about_Heagy_Foods.cfm#contact_Heagy_Foods.cfm  That is where I purchase my 40 something lb. blocks of mild white cheddar.  I don't know if Heagy's ships but they do offer the cheddar I use at market at their market stand where I am at.  At Heagy's market stand small amounts of the their what they call a sharp cheddar are offered for sale.  The sharp white cheddar is not sharp at all though.  I tried to call Heagy's this morning to see if they ship any of the mild white cheddar I use, but it is snowing heavily in our area and right now no one answers at Heagy's.  Most businesses are shut here today.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:59:38 AM »
DMCavanagh: Thank you.  :)  I have seen mention before that brick cheese is similar to a mild cheddar and good on pizza. But last night the waiter went and looked at the package and told me - to his own astonishment and mine - that the packaging said White Cheddar.

Norma: Thanks so much for the info. Yes, your mild white cheddar sounds like it could be similar to the white cheddar I'm looking for.
I called the 4 top Utah cheese plants today - Gossner, Schreiber, Cache Valley, and Great Lakes - and all of the people I spoke to denied that the cheese could be theirs based on the details I described which I listed above. For example, Gossner said they don't make a white cheddar, except at certain times of the year and only in small packages. I kept hearing that most white cheddars don't come from Utah but are made further east, like in Wisconsin, etc. So I'm very confused. Although the guy I spoke to at Schreiber denied it, I still have an inkling that it could be Schreiber cheese - they have a plant in Logan, Utah. He said they didn't sell 40+ lb blocks of white cheddar (I think) and he said when restaurants buy a 40+ lb block they have it shredded for them, which is simply not true - not all restaurants do that. I found this page showing some Schreiber food service cheeses, and their Mild Cheddar Block is shown as coming in a 40 lb block:

http://interactivepdf.uniflip.com/2/60515/301805/pub/html/18.html

And on the very next page, page 19, it shows a bag of Mild White Cheddar.
The guy I spoke to at the Schreiber plant might not have known what he was talking about. I'm not discounting them yet. I know Schreiber cheese is really big in the food industry, I think Pete mentioned them to me in another thread a while back.

And Heagy's 'Guernsey's Gift' Pizza Mild White Cheddar sounds very promising indeed. Maybe I'll contact them if I can't find the Utah cheese I'm looking for, and inquire about their cheeses & shipping. You know, if this Utah cheese brand or distributor becomes truly impossible to locate, it just might be a matter of trying a bunch of mild white cheddars and settling on the one that is the closest.  :-\

Thanks again!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
Zoe,

Since you have found out it is mild white cheddar for sure that you are looking for in big blocks I would like to ask you one question.  Do you know of any foodservice business that would be willing to purchase it for you if you find the right cheese company that sells it?  I ask you that question because when I was on the white cheddar hunt I would not have been able to purchase the big block of mild white cheddar from Bova or Heagy's if I would not have been a pizza business, or a foodservice business.

I also want to tell you that the mild white cheddar from Heagy's is not the Guernsey Gift mild white cheddar.  Any of the Guernsey’s Gifts cheeses are no good in my opinion.  If you ever decide to call Heagy's ask them if they sell any of the mild white cheddar to regular customers (they call it sharp cheddar at their market stand) that they sell in the 40 something lb. blocks to foodservice or pizza businesses.

Norma

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »
pennmac does deal with white cheddar cheese in their blends, i would try them first?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Norma: Well, I am in the same general  region as Utah so if I discovered the brand of white cheddar, and if I could convince the company to sell me a block or a loaf of it, I would definitely take a road trip to Utah for that.

FSA Foods will not special order unless I have an account with them, but they do let regular people buy the products they have in stock in their warehouse; they refer to this type of transaction as a “will-call,” because the person is calling in a local order for pickup.  Sysco will not let me buy from them without an account, which costs a lot of money to open (I think $500 or something like that).
If I were to find out the brand, I would just keep checking on places where I could possibly acquire it, and keep tossing out ideas to the people I talk to about how we could work out a deal. If the company refused to sell to me, I would ask them about any restaurants in my area that are contracted for that cheese, and then I could contact those restaurants asking to buy a bit of their cheese.

Actually, the waiter the other night wrote down the restaurant-owner’s name and told me to call him and ask if I could buy a big piece of their cheese. Knowing that the owner is very secretive about their ingredients, he likely would not have appreciated his waiter being so forthcoming to me about the type of cheese they use. But he could make a nice profit, selling me 5 lbs for $ 40 or $50  - the same amount it costed to get a loaf of Grande Mozz to my door. But really, I would like to acquire it independently of this restaurant so that I wouldn’t always have to be tied to them to get this cheese.

I may be going to Minneapolis this summer, and if I do you can bet I will take a trip into Wisconsin to sample various white cheddar cheeses at the numerous cheese plants there!
I know that eventually I will find the cheese that this company uses. This whole process seems to be about baby steps, gathering more information, month by month.  8)

Thank you for the info on Guernsey’s Gift. But I’m a little confused, why do they sometimes call the cheese mild and sometimes call it sharp? Is it exactly the same cheese? Yet they call it two different things…Strange.

C0mpl3x: Thank you, I will check out Penn Mac’s selection. But I’m not looking for a blend, I’m just looking for a mild white cheddar only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 03:13:22 PM »
Zoe,

I see you have your ways of trying to get the mild white cheddar you would like to try. 

I know it is confusing about the mild white cheddar I use and how it is called sharp when regular customers purchase it at Heagy's market stand.  It is exactly the same cheddar.  I asked one week when Heagy's sent me a 40 something lb. block of the wrong cheddar.  It was a stronger cheddar than I normally use and was harder too.  It did not melt or string right either on the pizzas.  I see what Heagy's had on their 3 brands of cheddars for sale to regular customers.  They told me the sharp is what I purchase.  I always ask for the mild white cheddar when ordering the big blocks.  I see how long my cheddar is age and saw how long the wrong cheddar they gave me on week was aged.

Norma

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
C0mpl3x: Thank you, I will check out Penn Mac’s selection. But I’m not looking for a blend, I’m just looking for a mild white cheddar only.

pennmac offers a world of 'vendor' supplies that you can't get off of their website.  you can also try jo-de pizza, i used to order from them as a business and they can either get it, have it ordered elsewhere, or tell you where you CAN get it. if leanne is still there, she knows everything about that

http://www.manta.com/c/mm2w1hm/jo-de-enterprise

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »
Norma, that's interesting, thank you for sharing your input. :D
I feel very fortunate to have discovered what basic type of cheese to look for and I'm very excited to sample various mild white cheddars.  I'll still dumpster dive in the recycling bin, looking for a box with a plant number though.

c0ompl3x: thanks for the recommendations, I will check out the Penn Mac site and may end up placing an order soon.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »
Norma, that's interesting, thank you for sharing your input. :D
I feel very fortunate to have discovered what basic type of cheese to look for and I'm very excited to sample various mild white cheddars.  I'll still dumpster dive in the recycling bin, looking for a box with a plant number though.

c0ompl3x: thanks for the recommendations, I will check out the Penn Mac site and may end up placing an order soon.

pennmac's site is only 'consumer' you can't find their retail/distribution products on there. they sold loose sliced pepperoni, #50 flours, sauces (6 in 1) #5 cheese shreds*, olive oil in the big jugs, pizza boxes, you name it they had it. i know, because i ordered from there!

*pittsburgh blend was 70% mozz, 29% provolone, and 1% sharp white cheddar

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:19:58 AM »
Zoe,

I just wanted to let you know you can scratch Heagy's off your list of mild white cheddar to try.  I called Heagy's this morning to order a block of mild white cheddar to pick up today.  I also asked them if they ship their cheeses and they said no they don't, even though they have had numerous inquries about shipping their cheeses and meats.

If you find a plant number on a empty cardboard box, this plant directory (by numbers) might help you or it might not.  http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Food/pdf/2012-2013DairyPlantDirectory.pdf   These plant numbers are for Wisconsin cheeses.

Best of luck in your search!   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
Zoe,

I just wanted to show you what one block of the mild white cheddar looks like.  I don't think the plant number was on the cardboard box today.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:18:11 AM »
c0mpl3x, Thanks very much! Maybe I'll call them soon and quiz them about what they have in the way of white cheddars! I know they are a very popular company for retail consumers to order pizza cheeses & ingredients from.

Norma, That's all very helpful, I really appreciate it! That's too bad about Heagy's. Oh well...
Thank you for calling & asking!

There's a good chance that the cheese I'm looking for actually came from Wisconsin originally, but merely passed through a Utah distributor...or something like that. I'm pretty persistent, I know I will eventually find out the info.  :D
On your box of White Cheddar, the plant number appears to be 1855 which matches a company called Mullins Cheese Inc. from Marshfield, WI  on the PDF file you provided (55-1855).  So I assume that would be the maker of your block of white cheddar.
That would be so neat if the white cheddar block I'm looking for turned out to be the exact cheese that you already use.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:21:12 AM by tourmaline »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:46 AM »

There's a good chance that the cheese I'm looking for actually came from Wisconsin originally, but merely passed through a Utah distributor...or something like that. I'm pretty persistent, I know I will eventually find out the info.  :D
On your box of White Cheddar, the plant number appears to be 1855 which matches a company called Mullins Cheese Inc. from Marshfield, WI  on the PDF file you provided (55-1855).  So I assume that would be the maker of your block of white cheddar.
That would be so neat if the white cheddar block I'm looking for turned out to be the exact cheese that you already use.  :)

Zoe,

I agree that there is a good chance the cheese you are looking for might be from Wisconsin.  You did a good job of checking the numbers against the PDF file.  ;D  My cheddar does come from Mullins Cheese in Wisconsin.  I would send you a small amount of the cheddar I use to try but shippings costs and trying to keep it cold enough would be hard. 

Norma

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
Oh no worries Norma, as I mentioned I may be going up to Minnesota this summer and if I do I'll be sampling a lot of cheese in nearby Wisconsin. I also might be taking a road trip sometime soon to Logan Utah, where they have several big cheesemaking plants in that vicinity. I will find the right cheese for sure! It just may take a bit of time.
Thanks again for your help, you are a dear!  :D

pizzapan