Author Topic: EZ laminated cracker  (Read 1772 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
EZ laminated cracker
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:23:37 AM »
I accidentally stumbled upon a technique which works very well for laminating low hydration cracker crusts at home. 

I made 20 ounce piece of dough using the following recipe:

100% flour                 All Trumps
 40% water                as hot as your tap has
  2% salt
  4% oil
   .75% IDY

Put all dry ingredients into your bowl and mix.  Add the water and oil and using the paddle, mix until all of the flour and small pieces are picked up...the bowl will be clean.  It only mixes a little over 2 minutes, and at this point the mixer will labor.  That's enough mixing time.  I placed my dough in a large freezer bag, flattened it and place in a barely warm oven for 1 hour.  After 1 hour take your dough, and sheet it as thin as you can on your work suface (try to keep somewhat rectangular)....warm dough sheets very easily and can be easily sheeted to less than one-eight inch.  You should have a fairly large sheet of dough now....fold it up into as many layers as you want....I folded mine up into 12 layers.  Sheet this piece of dough out until it is as thin or thick as you want.  I shot for one-eighth inch, but it doesn't have to be this thin.  This method is not hard and does not take a lot of work....but if you should labor, let the dough rest in between bouts of sheeting ( I honestly didn't have to as sheeting was easy even for a 40% hydrated dough) I then cut my sheets into rectangular pizzas so there is not waste.  I immediately, wrap in parchment and plastic wrap and put in the freezer for about 20 minutes until ice cold  I then place in the fridge and let set at least 24 hours prior to using.
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: EZ laminated cracker
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
Here is a pizza a made from the batch of dough above.  It is crispy, tender, has great oven spring and still remains one of my favorite styles of pizza.  This was baked on a 530 degree deck.
John

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
Be careful using that low of a hydration dough in your KA, it WILL rip your worm/fiber gear sooner or later. A good heavy duty food processor is a much better choice....been there!!! When you need to repair it PM me for help, really.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
jon I am beating up my KA daily... part of the process of my cooking.  Is there a good place you know of to go for the internal parts?  I am going to need them sooner or later.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Online are several or call local appliance places and see if they carry parts. Youtube has some great videos to help you get thru the repair step by step, makes it easy enough for anyone to DIY

jjon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
Thank you Fazzari !!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
Didn't you guys know that Fazzari was our local inventer?

Thanks John!  Is this the same method you used for this one?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29524.20.html

Nate
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:07:54 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
Be careful using that low of a hydration dough in your KA, it WILL rip your worm/fiber gear sooner or later. A good heavy duty food processor is a much better choice....been there!!! When you need to repair it PM me for help, really.

Jon
Your point is very well taken, but....I'm making a point to.  The paddle attachment on the Kitchenaid is the perfect tool to gather up low hydration dough pieces.  As soon as the dough starts to gather and clean from the bowl, the process stops....absolutely no kneading is done in the bowl...that's how undermixed this is.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
Didn't you guys know that Fazzari was our local inventer?

Thanks John!  Is this the same method you used for this one?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29524.20.html

Nate
I used my sheeter at work to try and replicate the picture....I sheeted my dough sheets much thinner than normal....and that's what got me to thinking about the process at home....  so, I experimented and it works!!
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Thank you Fazzari !!  :chef:
Bob
A pizza is not a pizza is not a pizza....there are a multitude of ways of making good eats.  I want to know them all!

John

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
John,

Nice!  :chef:  That texture of the crumb looks really delicious!  I can see lamination within the rim but not much towards the center of the pie.  Was there lamination towards the center?  Also,  How do you wrap in parchment and plastic wrap for the 24 hour stay in the fridge?  Thanks John,  will put on my menu this week. 

Kerry

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
John,

Nice!  :chef:  That texture of the crumb looks really delicious!  I can see lamination within the rim but not much towards the center of the pie.  Was there lamination towards the center?  Also,  How do you wrap in parchment and plastic wrap for the 24 hour stay in the fridge?  Thanks John,  will put on my menu this week. 
Kerry
Here is the first thread explaining exactly what is happening and what I am shooting for using this method.  It should answer your questions regarding the laminations.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14106.0.html

Below are a few pictures of a pizza I made at work this morning.  This was made using my sheeter.  This is what I am attempting to replicate at home using a rolling pin.  Of course the limiting factor is the use of a rolling pin instead of a sheeter.   Using the heated dough method as outlined goes a long way to getting us where we need to go.  It took me a long time to figure out what was missing from the process to really, really make it easy.  I figured it out when I worked on the mystery pizza project here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29524.0.html
Even though I used my sheeter, I sheeted my doughs unusually thin for the project...and it was then I realized, the same could be done at home.  So, given that I use a given size bread board to sheet my dough, I realized I had to sheet a smaller dough piece to get it super thin...and 15 ounces seems to work perfectly.  And then this super thin sheet easily is folded into layers and is again sheeted.  I easily did 12 layers, but even 8 layers would give you an excellent textured crust.  After I cut my dough sheet to the sizes I want, I stack them with parchment in between each skin and place in a freezer bag so they won't dry out.  You will find these skins are absolutely best after 36 to 48 hours sitting in the fridge.  And remember, don't let them warm up before baking....take them right from the fridge, dress and bake!

I again must sing the praises for this website, for it surely keeps my appetite for learning at fever pitch!!
John
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:47:30 PM by fazzari »

Offline kerrymarcy

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
John,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your original thread.  Are you still at about 115 degrees for 1 hour for warm-up before rolling?  I'm using Bouncer HG flour which is about 13.8%.  Is that a good flour for this? 

Kerry

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »
John,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your original thread.  Are you still at about 115 degrees for 1 hour for warm-up before rolling?  I'm using Bouncer HG flour which is about 13.8%.  Is that a good flour for this? 

Kerry
Yup, that's how I warm up the dough.....     For home use, I haven't found much difference in the strengths of flours for this method.  Now, if you were going to attempt this commercially, I'd have a different answer.

John

Offline kerrymarcy

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
Thanks John!

Offline kerrymarcy

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
Hey John,

I thank you for your recipe and workflow.  I got a chance to try this over the weekend with great success.  It was not difficult to roll out the dough for the first time but the second layered rolling took a bit more work to get to the final size that I wanted.  With a little work, I was able to achieve the final size.  The texture of the crust turned out just as you had mentioned and had all of the amenities of a crispy but chewy crust.  It was definitely one of the best crackers that I have ever made.  I'm sorry that I did not take any photos as it went super-fast during the Super Bowl.  Great job on this one John!  :chef:, this will go down as my go-to cracker.  Next time I make this, I will throw my rolling pin in the oven with the dough to warm it up a bit to keep the dough as warm as possible when rolling.  Also, I might put the dough back in the oven for some time before doing the laminated rolling for a final sizing.  Great job!

Kerry

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »
Hey John,

I thank you for your recipe and workflow.  I got a chance to try this over the weekend with great success.  It was not difficult to roll out the dough for the first time but the second layered rolling took a bit more work to get to the final size that I wanted.  With a little work, I was able to achieve the final size.  The texture of the crust turned out just as you had mentioned and had all of the amenities of a crispy but chewy crust.  It was definitely one of the best crackers that I have ever made.  I'm sorry that I did not take any photos as it went super-fast during the Super Bowl.  Great job on this one John!  :chef:, this will go down as my go-to cracker.  Next time I make this, I will throw my rolling pin in the oven with the dough to warm it up a bit to keep the dough as warm as possible when rolling.  Also, I might put the dough back in the oven for some time before doing the laminated rolling for a final sizing.  Great job!
Sure glad it worked for you.  If you ever try again, remember you don't have to get it thin in one shot.  You can take all the time you want...in fact the dough does better as it rests...You can even refrigerate and come back later after you've cut your sizes and sheet them to final thinness.  Glad you enjoyed it.
John

pizzapan