Author Topic: Need help with my dough!!!  (Read 416 times)

Offline juancamiloza

• I Love Pizza!
Need help with my dough!!!
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Hi everyone.

I've never done NY Stile pizza before since here, in my country, people are used to eat a very crunchy pizza that has a very thin crust.

So I tried to make change things a little bit by making NY stike pizzas, but when I tried I just got an awful result.
The crust was hard, very thin, not easy to hand-strech and the edges where very white.

The recipie im using is

100 flour (6% protein, fortified with niacin)
50% cold water
2% salt
1% sugar
0.6% fresh yeast

So what I do is first disolve the yeast in water then mix it with the other ingredients and work it until it looks good,
The I leave it to ferment for 3 hours at room temperature and ten 24 hours in the fridge.

What I notices was a dough that breaked easily on the edges, with no air,, dificult to strech and that when I baked it was hard as a stone

I know might think it has somthing to do with the flour,

Can you help me guys??

Offline WarEagle09

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help with my dough!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »
A few observations:

Your protein level is very low... I'm not sure I've even heard of 6% protein levels for cake or pastry flours. The standard flours used for NY style pizza have protein contents of 14.2%. Are there bread flours in Colombia?

50% is a very low hydration. For high protein flours, you typically see hydration levels from 62% - 67%. A higher hydration level will make your dough more extensible (easy to stretch), and your finished pizza should be softer than a pizza with a lower hydration level.

Offline juancamiloza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help with my dough!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
A few observations:

Your protein level is very low... I'm not sure I've even heard of 6% protein levels for cake or pastry flours. The standard flours used for NY style pizza have protein contents of 14.2%. Are there bread flours in Colombia?

50% is a very low hydration. For high protein flours, you typically see hydration levels from 62% - 67%. A higher hydration level will make your dough more extensible (easy to stretch), and your finished pizza should be softer than a pizza with a lower hydration level.

Yep, i was thinking about that being the problem. We might actually have better flours here, truth is that the one I have to use is like the brand that has the monopoly.

Thank you very much for your response WarEagle, appreciate your help

pizzapan